Booting problems - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Booting problems - VxWorks ; Hello, I am new to the embedded systems world, so bear with me. I have been reading through the VxWorks programmers guide and the Tornado help files to try to figure out a way to boot a target via an ...

  1. Booting problems

    Hello,

    I am new to the embedded systems world, so bear with me. I have
    been reading through the VxWorks programmers guide and the Tornado
    help files to try to figure out a way to boot a target via an ethernet
    connection. I have loaded the bootrom and vxload (booting from a
    system with DOS) and when I get to the vxworks loading screen, I get
    the following errors:

    boot device : fei
    unit number : 0
    processor number : 0
    host name :t-sip-wxp
    file name :C:\vxWorks
    inet on ethernet (e) :90.0.0.50
    host inet (h) :90.0.0.3
    user (u) :target
    password (pw) assword
    flags (f) :0x0

    dosFsDevInit failed.
    usrFdConfig failed.
    [VxWorks Boot]:

    I am running an FTP server with a user: Target with a password:
    password. The host IP was 90.0.0.3 (255.0.0.0). The ethernet chip on
    the mb I am trying to run VxWorks on is an Intel 82559. The bootrom I
    made was the one via Tornado (Build->Build Boot ROM->PcPentium-
    >bootrom etc.) I even tried going into the sysLib.c and getting rid of

    any dosFS stuff (I kinda figured this wouldnt work at all, but I tried
    it out of desperation).

    Any help on this issue would be much appreciated,

    Best,
    Rich S.

  2. Re: Booting problems

    Rich wrote:

    >Hello,

    Hey.

    > I am new to the embedded systems world, so bear with me. I have
    >been reading through the VxWorks programmers guide and the Tornado
    >help files to try to figure out a way to boot a target via an ethernet
    >connection. I have loaded the bootrom and vxload (booting from a
    >system with DOS) and when I get to the vxworks loading screen, I get
    >the following errors:
    >
    >boot device : fei
    >unit number : 0
    >processor number : 0
    >host name :t-sip-wxp
    >file name :C:\vxWorks
    >inet on ethernet (e) :90.0.0.50
    >host inet (h) :90.0.0.3
    >user (u) :target
    >password (pw) assword
    >flags (f) :0x0
    >
    >dosFsDevInit failed.
    >usrFdConfig failed.
    >[VxWorks Boot]:
    >
    >I am running an FTP server with a user: Target with a password:
    >password. The host IP was 90.0.0.3 (255.0.0.0). The ethernet chip on
    >the mb I am trying to run VxWorks on is an Intel 82559. The bootrom I
    >made was the one via Tornado (Build->Build Boot ROM->PcPentium-
    >>bootrom etc.) I even tried going into the sysLib.c and getting rid of

    >any dosFS stuff (I kinda figured this wouldnt work at all, but I tried
    >it out of desperation).
    >
    >Any help on this issue would be much appreciated,

    One problem I see with your boot parameters is the value of the file name
    field. The boot file should be named relative to the directory configured
    as the home directory on the FTP server. For example, to boot from the
    file "C:\vxWorks" on a host whose FTP server is configured to use "C:\" as
    the home directory, then the file name field should contain only "vxWorks".

    If I'm correct about this, however, then the result should be a "file not
    found" error rather than dosFS and floppy disk failures. I suspect that
    the file name field issue is moot until you resolve the disk problems.
    These are likely to be due to a BSP configuration issue. You might
    consider removing your floppy system by undefining the relevant macros
    in config.h rather than by removing code from sysLib.c.

    The FTP server logging facility is very useful when debugging boot-from-
    FTP issues. I suspect that your server's log remains empty as your target
    failures appear to occur before your target attempts to use FTP.

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: Booting problems

    > The FTP server logging facility is very useful when debugging boot-from-
    > FTP issues. I suspect that your server's log remains empty as your target
    > failures appear to occur before your target attempts to use FTP.

    After going into config.h and removing the two offending macros, the
    error messages I posted:

    >dosFsDevInit failed.
    >usrFdConfig failed.

    have gone away. Now I have a new issue. When I try to boot I get the
    message:

    Can't open "Bootrom.{sys,dat}"

    I am sort of confused about this. I thought I Bootrom.dat was located
    on the VxWorks target (I checked in dos, it is). I also thought it had
    to open Bootrom.dat to even get to the [VxWorks Boot]: promt. I also
    had another quick question. When I try to ping via my host to my
    target, I cant seem to find the target (90.0.0.50). Is this IP
    assigned after the point that is triggering my error? Also, just as
    some extra info, I have my FTP server open but it doesnt seem to log
    any attempted connections or commands being ran on it.

    Best,
    Rich

  4. Re: Booting problems

    I believe that something like the following bootline should be
    specified in your "config\mmFeiBoot\config.h" file.

    #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE \
    "fei(0,0)bootHost:/vxWorks u=Target pw=password h= 90.0.0.50
    e=90.0.0.3 tn=vxtarget o=fei s=bootHost:/script.txt"

    You should then see the following in Hyperterminal etc.

    boot device : fei
    unit number : 0
    processor number : 0
    host name : bootHost
    file name : /vxWorks
    inet on ethernet (e) : 90.0.0.50
    host inet (h) : 90.0.0.3
    user (u) : Target
    ftp password (pw) : password
    flags (f) : 0x0
    target name (tn) : vxtarget
    startup script (s) : bootHost:/script.txt
    other (o) : fei

    Found FEI device 0x2449 [unit=0 pciBus=1 pciDevice=8 pciFunc=0]

    Attached TCP/IP interface to fei0.
    Attaching network interface lo0... done.

    script.txt will include something like the follwoing where your test
    app is built into TestApp.out and defines a function StartTestApp to
    start it.

    sysClkRateSet(1000)
    cd "/TestAppDirectory/VxWorks"
    ld < TestApp.out.out
    StartTestApp
    chime

    Hope this helps.

    Tim

  5. Re: Booting problems

    On Feb 20, 12:34 pm, "Bendont" wrote:
    > I believe that something like the following bootline should be
    > specified in your "config\mmFeiBoot\config.h" file.
    >
    > #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE \
    > "fei(0,0)bootHost:/vxWorks u=Target pw=password h= 90.0.0.50
    > e=90.0.0.3 tn=vxtarget o=fei s=bootHost:/script.txt"
    >
    > You should then see the following in Hyperterminal etc.
    >
    > boot device : fei
    > unit number : 0
    > processor number : 0
    > host name : bootHost
    > file name : /vxWorks
    > inet on ethernet (e) : 90.0.0.50
    > host inet (h) : 90.0.0.3
    > user (u) : Target
    > ftp password (pw) : password
    > flags (f) : 0x0
    > target name (tn) : vxtarget
    > startup script (s) : bootHost:/script.txt
    > other (o) : fei
    >
    > Found FEI device 0x2449 [unit=0 pciBus=1 pciDevice=8 pciFunc=0]
    >
    > Attached TCP/IP interface to fei0.
    > Attaching network interface lo0... done.
    >
    > script.txt will include something like the follwoing where your test
    > app is built into TestApp.out and defines a function StartTestApp to
    > start it.
    >
    > sysClkRateSet(1000)
    > cd "/TestAppDirectory/VxWorks"
    > ld < TestApp.out.out
    > StartTestApp
    > chime
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Tim

    Actually, what seemed to be the case is that the driver for my NIC had
    to be adjusted slightly (the PCI ID was incorrect in a config file I
    believe. So. I finally got the NIC up and running, it downloaded the
    full image from my host. When I try to connect to the target via the
    target server on my host this is what I get:

    tgtsvr (90.0.0.50@w-rsippk-xp): Tue Feb 27 17:44:27 2007
    Wind River Systems Target Server: NT/Win95 version
    Connecting to target agent... succeeded.
    Attaching C++ interface... succeeded.
    Attaching a.out OMF reader for I80X86 CPU family... succeeded.

    tgtsvr (90.0.0.50@w-rsippk-xp): Tue Feb 27 17:44:51 2007
    Error: rpccore backend client Unable to receive

    the last couple of lines repeat (I guess its making multiple attempts
    to connect).

    When I look in the launch browser in tornado this is what I get:

    Name : 90.0.0.50@w-rsippk-xp
    Version: 2.0.2
    Runtime: VxWorks 5.4.2
    Agent : 2.0
    CPU : PENTIUM
    BSP : PC PENTIUM
    Memory : 0x3fff000
    Link : WDB Agent RPC
    User : rsippk
    Start : Tue Feb 27 17:44:27 2007
    Last : Tue Feb 27 17:44:52 2007
    Attached Tools :
    gdb (rsippk@w-rsippk-xp)
    browser (rsippk@w-rsippk-xp)

    Also, just as I note, I try to launch the browser in tornado and the
    console screen opens for a short amount of time and displays this
    error:

    bad option "-937307913": must be -exact, -glob, -regexp, or --

    I did some research on the issue above and seems to be a seperate
    issue then the one I am having with not being able to connect to the
    target.

    Just as a sidenote, I can ping the target fine in the command prompt.

    Any help on this one would be great,

    Best,
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread