Integrating NS16550 Serial Driver and pcPentium BSP - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Integrating NS16550 Serial Driver and pcPentium BSP - VxWorks ; VxWorks 5.5, gnu toolchain. Has anyone attempted to use the NS16550 serial driver with the stock pcPentium BSP? I'm trying to do this, but target/src/drv/sio/ns16650Serial.c appears to be written for a memory-mapped interface, and tweaking target/config/pcPentium/sysSerial.c is a little unclear ...

  1. Integrating NS16550 Serial Driver and pcPentium BSP

    VxWorks 5.5, gnu toolchain.

    Has anyone attempted to use the NS16550 serial driver with the stock
    pcPentium BSP?

    I'm trying to do this, but target/src/drv/sio/ns16650Serial.c appears to
    be written for a memory-mapped interface, and tweaking
    target/config/pcPentium/sysSerial.c is a little unclear because of the
    differences in the channel descriptor structure.

    I can't believe that nobody has done this yet, but a search of google
    (web and groups) as well as WindSurf came up negative!

    Also, it looks like the ns16550 driver doesn't really take proper
    advantage of the receive FIFO. Anyone done any tweaks to get it to do a
    block read?

  2. Re: Integrating NS16550 Serial Driver and pcPentium BSP

    red floyd wrote:

    >VxWorks 5.5, gnu toolchain.
    >
    >Has anyone attempted to use the NS16550 serial driver with the stock
    >pcPentium BSP?
    >
    >I'm trying to do this, but target/src/drv/sio/ns16650Serial.c appears to
    >be written for a memory-mapped interface, and tweaking
    >target/config/pcPentium/sysSerial.c is a little unclear because of the
    >differences in the channel descriptor structure.
    >
    >I can't believe that nobody has done this yet, but a search of google
    >(web and groups) as well as WindSurf came up negative!
    >
    >Also, it looks like the ns16550 driver doesn't really take proper
    >advantage of the receive FIFO. Anyone done any tweaks to get it to do a
    >block read?

    You might be able to use the evbNs16550Sio driver. It doesn't
    use a memory mapped interface. Don't know about the FIFO
    though.

+ Reply to Thread