No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever? - VxWorks ; Has anyone got a workaround for this other than deferred initialization: 1) Detach ethernet cable from board 2) Boot from non-ethernet device (such as flash), and specify in OTHER field your ethernet device (in my case "FEI"). 3) Reattach ethernet ...

  1. No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    Has anyone got a workaround for this other than deferred
    initialization:

    1) Detach ethernet cable from board
    2) Boot from non-ethernet device (such as flash), and specify in OTHER
    field your ethernet device (in my case "FEI").
    3) Reattach ethernet cable to board
    4) ping board. It should fail, despite full driver initialization.

    I have done a list of things from the shell in an attempt to
    rescucitate the driver:
    ifFlagSet it to Down then Up
    ipDetach, then ipAttach
    ifAddrAdd
    etc.

    I cannot ever seem to establish networking. ifShow "fei0" gives me
    indication that the driver is getting some activity (tx, rx counts).
    And setting the ifxxxxDebug var to 0xFFFFFFFF resulted in seeing a lot
    of prints from the nettask so I think its dialed into the ip stack and
    mux ok.

    Should this even be happening (ie: is the driver buggy)?

    -d

  2. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    This sounds a little familiar. Do you know how you have the ethernet
    configured - ie fixed at 10 or 100 or is it set to autonegotiate a
    speed on the link? Have you tried a fixed speed?

    This is an Intel FEI 10/100? The source may be available for that to
    see what's up.

    I'll take a look tonight.

    lc

    Doug wrote:
    > Has anyone got a workaround for this other than deferred
    > initialization:
    >
    > 1) Detach ethernet cable from board
    > 2) Boot from non-ethernet device (such as flash), and specify in OTHER
    > field your ethernet device (in my case "FEI").
    > 3) Reattach ethernet cable to board
    > 4) ping board. It should fail, despite full driver initialization.
    >
    > I have done a list of things from the shell in an attempt to
    > rescucitate the driver:
    > ifFlagSet it to Down then Up
    > ipDetach, then ipAttach
    > ifAddrAdd
    > etc.
    >
    > I cannot ever seem to establish networking. ifShow "fei0" gives me
    > indication that the driver is getting some activity (tx, rx counts).
    > And setting the ifxxxxDebug var to 0xFFFFFFFF resulted in seeing a lot
    > of prints from the nettask so I think its dialed into the ip stack and
    > mux ok.
    >
    > Should this even be happening (ie: is the driver buggy)?
    >
    > -d

  3. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    Larry,

    Its the default settings for an FEI (intel 82559) which I believe is
    auto-negotiate. If you have any ideas Id love to hear them

    -d

  4. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    Hi,
    I am not really sure... but is the Ethernet Driver correctly sensing if
    hardware has got link up?
    In one of the Ethernet code we had developed, we used to poll MDIO to
    check if the link has gone down / up.

    Raj

  5. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    Raj,

    I don't know, we weren't given driver source and it looks like much of
    the good stuff is static to the intel driver object file. I did dump
    the chip's register map memory and can see that the hardware knows of
    the link (chip base + 0x1d I think)

    On Jan 24, 5:17 am, "Raj" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am not really sure... but is the Ethernet Driver correctly sensing if
    > hardware has got link up?
    > In one of the Ethernet code we had developed, we used to poll MDIO to
    > check if the link has gone down / up.
    >
    > Raj

  6. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    On Jan 24, 7:43 am, "Doug" wrote:
    > Raj,
    >
    > I don't know, we weren't given driver source and it looks like much of
    > the good stuff is static to the intel driver object file. I did dump
    > the chip's register map memory and can see that the hardware knows of
    > the link (chip base + 0x1d I think)
    >
    > On Jan 24, 5:17 am, "Raj" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I am not really sure... but is the Ethernet Driver correctly sensing if
    > > hardware has got link up?
    > > In one of the Ethernet code we had developed, we used to poll MDIO to
    > > check if the link has gone down / up.

    Depending on what version of vxWorks you're using, the fei driver sucks
    more or less.
    Briefly, if the fei driver fails to establish link through AN at
    startup, it sets 10M half duplex and so it stays -- unless.....
    Newer versions of vxWorks are delivered with an MII library that
    periodically polls the PHY (using a watchdog function) looking for link
    changes.
    On some systems, this actually works well in conjunction with the
    driver and properly adjusts link speed and duplex mode -- on most, not.
    Please specify which version of vxworks you're complaining about and a
    brief description of your target hardware.
    The fei driver and MII library source is available from Wind River --
    if your employer is paying their annual support.

    GV

  7. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    Im using tornado 2.2.1, vxworks 5.5.1. What you are saying makes
    sense.

    We have support, where would I find the driver source?

    -d

  8. Re: No ethernet connection at boot time results in no ethernet connectivity ever?

    Maybe try configuring the link to not AN and set the speed to 10M if
    you have to get going ASAP.
    lc

    On Jan 24, 10:03 am, "Doug" wrote:
    > Im using tornado 2.2.1, vxworks 5.5.1. What you are saying makes
    > sense.
    >
    > We have support, where would I find the driver source?
    >
    > -d

+ Reply to Thread