tNetTask crash in vxworks - VxWorks

This is a discussion on tNetTask crash in vxworks - VxWorks ; Hi all, I am currently porting tcpdump to vxworks.My target mechine is Pentium, host is windows2000.My requirment is to dump the captured packets in to the file in libpcap file format so that i can open it in ethreal.I have ...

  1. tNetTask crash in vxworks

    Hi all,
    I am currently porting tcpdump to vxworks.My target mechine is Pentium,
    host is windows2000.My requirment is to dump the captured packets in to
    the file in libpcap file format so that i can open it in ethreal.I have
    ported the libpcap fileformat and i was able to capture the packets in
    libpcap fileformat and open in ethreal,here my problem is if i put my
    mechine in the network and try to capture the packets with high traffic
    it is giving the tNetTask crash.What i understood from the crash is
    that it may be the problem with stackoverflow of the "receive routine"
    which i passed to the muxbind.I have called the dump routine which
    dumps it to the file in "receive routine" function defination.Can any
    one tell me what is happning there ,is my assumption is correct,how can
    i proceed with it.
    -SVR

  2. Re: tNetTask crash in vxworks

    Hi:

    It's not clear how you are capturing the ethernet frames arriving. The
    method that works is illustrated in the standard vxsniff utility using
    etherHookAdd - http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxsniff.c. You
    need to pass the name of your mux driver to the hook routine.

    If you are doing this, then it might be the delays in processing each
    frame as you write it might cause some backup, but the packets would be
    delayed before they go to the netTask. Is your write processing in a
    task that can run in a different thread than the normal ethernet
    processing. There is really no practical way of fixing anything in the
    netTask anyway without source.

    good luck,
    lc

    SVR wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am currently porting tcpdump to vxworks.My target mechine is Pentium,
    > host is windows2000.My requirment is to dump the captured packets in to
    > the file in libpcap file format so that i can open it in ethreal.I have
    > ported the libpcap fileformat and i was able to capture the packets in
    > libpcap fileformat and open in ethreal,here my problem is if i put my
    > mechine in the network and try to capture the packets with high traffic
    > it is giving the tNetTask crash.What i understood from the crash is
    > that it may be the problem with stackoverflow of the "receive routine"
    > which i passed to the muxbind.I have called the dump routine which
    > dumps it to the file in "receive routine" function defination.Can any
    > one tell me what is happning there ,is my assumption is correct,how can
    > i proceed with it.
    > -SVR

  3. Re: tNetTask crash in vxworks

    also if you are printing out the packet data on Console, the printing
    takes too much of time.
    So on high speed it crashes the kernel. Thats what i observed.

  4. Re: tNetTask crash in vxworks

    Thanks raj for ur pointer.
    Raj wrote:
    > also if you are printing out the packet data on Console, the printing
    > takes too much of time.
    > So on high speed it crashes the kernel. Thats what i observed.

  5. Re: tNetTask crash in vxworks

    Yeah ur right LarryC,packets are delayed before they go to
    "tNetTask",my problem is somthing else,i did a silly mistake,i have
    pointed it now.
    Thanks for ur pointer lc.
    LarryC wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > It's not clear how you are capturing the ethernet frames arriving. The
    > method that works is illustrated in the standard vxsniff utility using
    > etherHookAdd - http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxsniff.c. You
    > need to pass the name of your mux driver to the hook routine.
    >
    > If you are doing this, then it might be the delays in processing each
    > frame as you write it might cause some backup, but the packets would be
    > delayed before they go to the netTask. Is your write processing in a
    > task that can run in a different thread than the normal ethernet
    > processing. There is really no practical way of fixing anything in the
    > netTask anyway without source.
    >
    > good luck,
    > lc
    >

    > SVR wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I am currently porting tcpdump to vxworks.My target mechine is Pentium,
    > > host is windows2000.My requirment is to dump the captured packets in to
    > > the file in libpcap file format so that i can open it in ethreal.I have
    > > ported the libpcap fileformat and i was able to capture the packets in
    > > libpcap fileformat and open in ethreal,here my problem is if i put my
    > > mechine in the network and try to capture the packets with high traffic
    > > it is giving the tNetTask crash.What i understood from the crash is
    > > that it may be the problem with stackoverflow of the "receive routine"
    > > which i passed to the muxbind.I have called the dump routine which
    > > dumps it to the file in "receive routine" function defination.Can any
    > > one tell me what is happning there ,is my assumption is correct,how can
    > > i proceed with it.
    > > -SVR

+ Reply to Thread