Connect Host and target on Vxworks - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Connect Host and target on Vxworks - VxWorks ; Hi... i want to know how to boot target , and connect it with host through Ethernet LAN. What are changes in files & also the settings to be done at both target server and target. I want to use ...

  1. Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hi...

    i want to know how to boot target , and connect it with host through
    Ethernet LAN.

    What are changes in files & also the settings to be done at both target
    server and target.

    I want to use a system(pc) as a target server(host) and another
    system(pc) as target , both system are pentium and windows 2000
    professional operating system. Both host and target are connected
    through ethernet LAN connection.

    Please give me step by step procedure

    Thanks in advance
    Meenal

  2. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hello Meenal Gupta,
    please refer to the Getting Started Manual, which came with your
    VxWorks, there is a step by step guided tour to get a PC-target
    connected and debugged from the pc host.

    Hope it helps

    Martin

    --
    BaSystem Martin Raabe
    E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  3. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    thanks Martin. I have already refered tornado manuals.
    But the problem that i am facing is i have made a bootable floppy as
    mentioned in the manual for PCPentium.
    And the changes that i have made in config.h is i have included
    #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    #define INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER /* ftp server */
    #define INCLUDE_FTPD_SECURITY /* password security for ftp sessions */
    #define INCLUDE_PING /* ping() utility */
    #define INCLUDE_RPC /* rpc package */
    #define INCLUDE_ZBUF_SOCK /* zbuf socket interface */

    before inclluding "configall.h"

    Also i have changed the DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE
    #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE \
    "fd=0,0(0,0)FR233:/fd0/vxWorks.st h=10.112.36.50 e=10.112.37.40
    u=target o=elpci"

    Then i follow the following steps
    1. I boot the target with floppy and get the vxworks prompt
    2. after this i cofigure the target server which is on my host machine.
    3. but when i launch the target server, it says

    ERROR: rpccore backend client Timed out.

    I am stucked here since a long time plz help me what to do.

    Martin Raabe wrote:
    > Hello Meenal Gupta,
    > please refer to the Getting Started Manual, which came with your
    > VxWorks, there is a step by step guided tour to get a PC-target
    > connected and debugged from the pc host.
    >
    > Hope it helps
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > > Hi...
    > >
    > > i want to know how to boot target , and connect it with host through
    > > Ethernet LAN.
    > >
    > > What are changes in files & also the settings to be done at both target
    > > server and target.
    > >
    > > I want to use a system(pc) as a target server(host) and another
    > > system(pc) as target , both system are pentium and windows 2000
    > > professional operating system. Both host and target are connected
    > > through ethernet LAN connection.
    > >
    > > Please give me step by step procedure
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Meenal
    > >

    > --
    > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  4. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    hi
    hav u configured the ethernet driver properly?
    what is ur ethernet device?
    do revert back with further comments/suggestions.
    bbye.
    Meenal Gupta wrote:
    > thanks Martin. I have already refered tornado manuals.
    > But the problem that i am facing is i have made a bootable floppy as
    > mentioned in the manual for PCPentium.
    > And the changes that i have made in config.h is i have included
    > #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    > #define INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER /* ftp server */
    > #define INCLUDE_FTPD_SECURITY /* password security for ftp sessions */
    > #define INCLUDE_PING /* ping() utility */
    > #define INCLUDE_RPC /* rpc package */
    > #define INCLUDE_ZBUF_SOCK /* zbuf socket interface */
    >
    > before inclluding "configall.h"
    >
    > Also i have changed the DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE
    > #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE \
    > "fd=0,0(0,0)FR233:/fd0/vxWorks.st h=10.112.36.50 e=10.112.37.40
    > u=target o=elpci"
    >
    > Then i follow the following steps
    > 1. I boot the target with floppy and get the vxworks prompt
    > 2. after this i cofigure the target server which is on my host machine.
    > 3. but when i launch the target server, it says
    >
    > ERROR: rpccore backend client Timed out.
    >
    > I am stucked here since a long time plz help me what to do.
    >
    > Martin Raabe wrote:
    > > Hello Meenal Gupta,
    > > please refer to the Getting Started Manual, which came with your
    > > VxWorks, there is a step by step guided tour to get a PC-target
    > > connected and debugged from the pc host.
    > >
    > > Hope it helps
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >
    > > Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > > > Hi...
    > > >
    > > > i want to know how to boot target , and connect it with host through
    > > > Ethernet LAN.
    > > >
    > > > What are changes in files & also the settings to be done at both target
    > > > server and target.
    > > >
    > > > I want to use a system(pc) as a target server(host) and another
    > > > system(pc) as target , both system are pentium and windows 2000
    > > > professional operating system. Both host and target are connected
    > > > through ethernet LAN connection.
    > > >
    > > > Please give me step by step procedure
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > > Meenal
    > > >

    > > --
    > > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  5. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hello Meenal Gupta,
    Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > thanks Martin. I have already refered tornado manuals.
    > But the problem that i am facing is i have made a bootable floppy as
    > mentioned in the manual for PCPentium.
    > And the changes that i have made in config.h is i have included
    > #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    > #define INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER /* ftp server */
    > #define INCLUDE_FTPD_SECURITY /* password security for ftp sessions */
    > #define INCLUDE_PING /* ping() utility */
    > #define INCLUDE_RPC /* rpc package */
    > #define INCLUDE_ZBUF_SOCK /* zbuf socket interface */
    > [snip]

    What version of VxWorks are you using?
    Is it less than 5.4 or 5.4.x or 5.5.x or even 6.x?
    What is the IDE? Are you based on makefiles, or Tornado 1.0 or Tornado
    2.x or WindRiver Workbench?

    Please tell us more about your environment.

    Take care

    Martin

    --
    BaSystem Martin Raabe
    E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  6. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Thanks rahul
    actally i am a newbie to networking as well as VxWorks
    I am using LAN connection.
    Plz tell me how to configure ehernet driver?
    thanks
    Meenal

    Rahul kashyap wrote:
    > hi
    > hav u configured the ethernet driver properly?
    > what is ur ethernet device?
    > do revert back with further comments/suggestions.
    > bbye.
    > Meenal Gupta wrote:
    > > thanks Martin. I have already refered tornado manuals.
    > > But the problem that i am facing is i have made a bootable floppy as
    > > mentioned in the manual for PCPentium.
    > > And the changes that i have made in config.h is i have included
    > > #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    > > #define INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER /* ftp server */
    > > #define INCLUDE_FTPD_SECURITY /* password security for ftp sessions */
    > > #define INCLUDE_PING /* ping() utility */
    > > #define INCLUDE_RPC /* rpc package */
    > > #define INCLUDE_ZBUF_SOCK /* zbuf socket interface */
    > >
    > > before inclluding "configall.h"
    > >
    > > Also i have changed the DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE
    > > #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE \
    > > "fd=0,0(0,0)FR233:/fd0/vxWorks.st h=10.112.36.50 e=10.112.37.40
    > > u=target o=elpci"
    > >
    > > Then i follow the following steps
    > > 1. I boot the target with floppy and get the vxworks prompt
    > > 2. after this i cofigure the target server which is on my host machine.
    > > 3. but when i launch the target server, it says
    > >
    > > ERROR: rpccore backend client Timed out.
    > >
    > > I am stucked here since a long time plz help me what to do.
    > >
    > > Martin Raabe wrote:
    > > > Hello Meenal Gupta,
    > > > please refer to the Getting Started Manual, which came with your
    > > > VxWorks, there is a step by step guided tour to get a PC-target
    > > > connected and debugged from the pc host.
    > > >
    > > > Hope it helps
    > > >
    > > > Martin

    > > > --
    > > > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > > > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  7. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hi Rahul I am using "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" .
    I dont know that i have configured it right or not can u suggest me
    somethg
    Thanks
    Meenal
    Rahul kashyap wrote:
    > hi
    > hav u configured the ethernet driver properly?
    > what is ur ethernet device?
    > do revert back with further comments/suggestions.
    > bbye.
    > Meenal Gupta wrote:
    > > thanks Martin. I have already refered tornado manuals.
    > > But the problem that i am facing is i have made a bootable floppy as
    > > mentioned in the manual for PCPentium.
    > > And the changes that i have made in config.h is i have included
    > > #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    > > #define INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER /* ftp server */
    > > #define INCLUDE_FTPD_SECURITY /* password security for ftp sessions */
    > > #define INCLUDE_PING /* ping() utility */
    > > #define INCLUDE_RPC /* rpc package */
    > > #define INCLUDE_ZBUF_SOCK /* zbuf socket interface */
    > >
    > > before inclluding "configall.h"
    > >
    > > Also i have changed the DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE
    > > #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE \
    > > "fd=0,0(0,0)FR233:/fd0/vxWorks.st h=10.112.36.50 e=10.112.37.40
    > > u=target o=elpci"
    > >
    > > Then i follow the following steps
    > > 1. I boot the target with floppy and get the vxworks prompt
    > > 2. after this i cofigure the target server which is on my host machine.
    > > 3. but when i launch the target server, it says
    > >
    > > ERROR: rpccore backend client Timed out.
    > >
    > > I am stucked here since a long time plz help me what to do.
    > >
    > > Martin Raabe wrote:
    > > > Hello Meenal Gupta,
    > > > please refer to the Getting Started Manual, which came with your
    > > > VxWorks, there is a step by step guided tour to get a PC-target
    > > > connected and debugged from the pc host.
    > > >
    > > > Hope it helps
    > > >
    > > > Martin

    > > > --
    > > > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > > > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  8. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hello Martin,
    We are using VxWorks version 5.4 and Tornado 2.0. we are using the
    makefile that is present in the folder Tornado/target/config/PcPentium.
    Thanks
    Meenal

    Martin Raabe wrote:
    > Hello Meenal Gupta,
    > Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > > thanks Martin. I have already refered tornado manuals.
    > > But the problem that i am facing is i have made a bootable floppy as
    > > mentioned in the manual for PCPentium.
    > > And the changes that i have made in config.h is i have included
    > > #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    > > #define INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER /* ftp server */
    > > #define INCLUDE_FTPD_SECURITY /* password security for ftp sessions */
    > > #define INCLUDE_PING /* ping() utility */
    > > #define INCLUDE_RPC /* rpc package */
    > > #define INCLUDE_ZBUF_SOCK /* zbuf socket interface */
    > > [snip]

    > What version of VxWorks are you using?
    > Is it less than 5.4 or 5.4.x or 5.5.x or even 6.x?
    > What is the IDE? Are you based on makefiles, or Tornado 1.0 or Tornado
    > 2.x or WindRiver Workbench?
    >
    > Please tell us more about your environment.
    >
    > Take care
    >
    > Martin
    >

    > --
    > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  9. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hello Meenal,
    Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > Hello Martin,
    > We are using VxWorks version 5.4 and Tornado 2.0. we are using the
    > makefile that is present in the folder Tornado/target/config/PcPentium.
    > Thanks
    > Meenal

    So did you follow the tutorial in the Tornado IDE?
    There everything should be setup and cross tested within the GUI/IDE.
    You should not start with a makefile based approach, this is not a good
    starting point.

    So the getting started manual guids you through the process of setting
    up the network interface card (NIC).
    And then shows you how you can apply the debugging process via networking.

    Hope it helps.

    --
    BaSystem Martin Raabe
    E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  10. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hi:

    After you boot, can you ping the target from a host PC or can you ping
    from the target to another host on your network?

    You may have a mismatch between your target server and how vxworks
    connects to the debugger. Go under the Tornado project and check that
    you are using rpc as you comm method to the host. Also, when you boot
    up, it should list how WDB is configured to connect to the tgt server
    on the host. Whatever is says during the banner print, config your
    target server to use that method - ie rpc, serial, etc. You may not
    even have wdb support in your kernel.

    Good luck,
    lc
    Martin Raabe wrote:
    > Hello Meenal,
    > Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > > Hello Martin,
    > > We are using VxWorks version 5.4 and Tornado 2.0. we are using the
    > > makefile that is present in the folder Tornado/target/config/PcPentium.
    > > Thanks
    > > Meenal

    > So did you follow the tutorial in the Tornado IDE?
    > There everything should be setup and cross tested within the GUI/IDE.
    > You should not start with a makefile based approach, this is not a good
    > starting point.
    >
    > So the getting started manual guids you through the process of setting
    > up the network interface card (NIC).
    > And then shows you how you can apply the debugging process via networking.
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    >

    > --
    > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  11. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hi all
    i have done all those thgs that Lc have asked for but the problem is
    when i boot my target it says........
    attaching floppy device.................
    but it does not show the message........
    attaching TCP/IP...........
    which means that my TCP/IP stack is not build properly...........please
    let me know how to make it.......
    Also Martin u have told that Makefile approach is not good then what is
    the other method to do.plz help me to come out from the problem.
    Thanks a lot
    Meenal Gupta

    LarryC wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > After you boot, can you ping the target from a host PC or can you ping
    > from the target to another host on your network?
    >
    > You may have a mismatch between your target server and how vxworks
    > connects to the debugger. Go under the Tornado project and check that
    > you are using rpc as you comm method to the host. Also, when you boot
    > up, it should list how WDB is configured to connect to the tgt server
    > on the host. Whatever is says during the banner print, config your
    > target server to use that method - ie rpc, serial, etc. You may not
    > even have wdb support in your kernel.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > lc
    > Martin Raabe wrote:
    > > Hello Meenal,
    > > Meenal Gupta schrieb:
    > > > Hello Martin,
    > > > We are using VxWorks version 5.4 and Tornado 2.0. we are using the
    > > > makefile that is present in the folder Tornado/target/config/PcPentium.
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Meenal

    > > So did you follow the tutorial in the Tornado IDE?
    > > There everything should be setup and cross tested within the GUI/IDE.
    > > You should not start with a makefile based approach, this is not a good
    > > starting point.
    > >
    > > So the getting started manual guids you through the process of setting
    > > up the network interface card (NIC).
    > > And then shows you how you can apply the debugging process via networking.
    > >
    > > Hope it helps.
    > >

    > > --
    > > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  12. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    Hi:

    Did you build with config.h/makefile or with Tornado?
    lc
    Meenal Gupta wrote:
    > Hi all
    > i have done all those thgs that Lc have asked for but the problem is
    > when i boot my target it says........
    > attaching floppy device.................
    > but it does not show the message........
    > attaching TCP/IP...........
    > which means that my TCP/IP stack is not build properly...........please
    > let me know how to make it.......
    > Also Martin u have told that Makefile approach is not good then what is
    > the other method to do.plz help me to come out from the problem.
    > Thanks a lot
    > Meenal Gupta
    >

    > LarryC wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > After you boot, can you ping the target from a host PC or can you ping
    > > from the target to another host on your network?
    > >
    > > You may have a mismatch between your target server and how vxworks
    > > connects to the debugger. Go under the Tornado project and check that
    > > you are using rpc as you comm method to the host. Also, when you boot
    > > up, it should list how WDB is configured to connect to the tgt server
    > > on the host. Whatever is says during the banner print, config your
    > > target server to use that method - ie rpc, serial, etc. You may not
    > > even have wdb support in your kernel.
    > >
    > > Good luck,
    > > lc
    > > Martin Raabe wrote:
    > > >
    > > > So did you follow the tutorial in the Tornado IDE?
    > > > There everything should be setup and cross tested within the GUI/IDE.
    > > > You should not start with a makefile based approach, this is not a good
    > > > starting point.
    > > >
    > > > So the getting started manual guids you through the process of setting
    > > > up the network interface card (NIC).
    > > > And then shows you how you can apply the debugging process via networking.
    > > >
    > > > Hope it helps.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > BaSystem Martin Raabe
    > > > E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  13. Re: Connect Host and target on Vxworks

    i think u shud make u r bott image include u r bsp part include the
    components of target server in vxworks tab on workspace window u'll do
    it just reply if u face any more problems dont make things complicated
    for u r self going thru the make file stuff
    bye

+ Reply to Thread