Booting PC with VxWorks OS - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Booting PC with VxWorks OS - VxWorks ; Hi everybody, I currently working with VxSimulator. I want to test my program on target which i don't have rightnow. Instead, i want to use my pc as target and do the stuff. Can anybody tell step by step procedure ...

  1. Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    Hi everybody,

    I currently working with VxSimulator. I want to test my program on
    target which i don't have rightnow. Instead, i want to use my pc as
    target and do the stuff.

    Can anybody tell step by step procedure - how to boot PC with Vxworks
    OS.

    thanks

  2. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    kalaimaran wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I currently working with VxSimulator. I want to test my program on
    > target which i don't have rightnow. Instead, i want to use my pc as
    > target and do the stuff.
    >
    > Can anybody tell step by step procedure - how to boot PC with Vxworks
    > OS.
    >
    > thanks

    If you run simulator, it runs on top of your windows just like a
    program. You do not need really "boot" your PC into Vxworks.

    After you start Tornador, choose simulator as your tartget.

  3. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    Max wrote:
    > kalaimaran wrote:
    > > Hi everybody,
    > >
    > > I currently working with VxSimulator. I want to test my program on
    > > target which i don't have rightnow. Instead, i want to use my pc as
    > > target and do the stuff.
    > >
    > > Can anybody tell step by step procedure - how to boot PC with Vxworks
    > > OS.
    > >
    > > thanks

    > If you run simulator, it runs on top of your windows just like a
    > program. You do not need really "boot" your PC into Vxworks.
    >
    > After you start Tornador, choose simulator as your tartget.

    Well. But i want to use hardware interrups to trigger my tasks.
    Simulator does not support for that. Is there anyway to boot PC with
    VxWorks so that i can use interrupts.

  4. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    step by step easiest way:

    - format a hard drive for your target pc with ms dos 6-22 floppy (
    single bootable partition)
    - install bootloader on the hdd from a ms-dos or windows floppy with
    vxsys.com ( found in the tools directory of Tornado)
    - In Tornado, build a bootrom.bin from your BSP ( according to the proc
    of your target pc)
    after modification of config.h
    be careful for DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE :
    #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE "ata=0,0(0,0)host:/ata0a/vxWorks
    e=192.168.1.10:ffffff00 tn=arb"
    this example boot a pc target with hdd primary master

    - copy the bootrom.bin to bootrom.sys on your future target hard disk
    - build your projet under tornado from the same BSP
    - copy your vxWorks system image on the disk

    That's it

  5. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    Thanks lebouchern. I will try and let you know that. Is it possible to
    make dual bootable OS i.e., VxWorks OS and Win XP. So that i can same
    PC as host as well as target. What is your opinion?

    lebouchern@wanadoo.fr wrote:
    > step by step easiest way:
    >
    > - format a hard drive for your target pc with ms dos 6-22 floppy (
    > single bootable partition)
    > - install bootloader on the hdd from a ms-dos or windows floppy with
    > vxsys.com ( found in the tools directory of Tornado)
    > - In Tornado, build a bootrom.bin from your BSP ( according to the proc
    > of your target pc)
    > after modification of config.h
    > be careful for DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE :
    > #define DEFAULT_BOOT_LINE "ata=0,0(0,0)host:/ata0a/vxWorks
    > e=192.168.1.10:ffffff00 tn=arb"
    > this example boot a pc target with hdd primary master
    >
    > - copy the bootrom.bin to bootrom.sys on your future target hard disk
    > - build your projet under tornado from the same BSP
    > - copy your vxWorks system image on the disk
    >
    > That's it

  6. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    I really don't think that you can have dual boot due to the fact that
    the bootstrap loader that you install on sector 0 of the hdd ( with
    vxsys) is dedicated to vxworks, loads the bootrom.sys on a precise
    memory adress and pass the boot arguments to the vxworks image.
    I've installed a lot of pc targets, so don't hesitate to ask for any
    question.

  7. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    Thanks lebouchern. My goal is simple. I want to learn Real time
    operting system along with hardware interrupts. I can use Simulator for
    that. But the problem is that i can't use interrupts under Simulator.
    Is there any way to learn about interrupts with out having target
    board.

    !) Whether dual harddisk will solve the problem of loading VxWorks OS
    and XP?
    2)if so, Do you have document on that? I am new to this field.
    3)if not, what is other possibilites?

  8. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    May be one thing to clarify. It seemed you want to use simulator at
    begining. The later suggestions implies that you really want x86
    target environmrnt, that is not really a simulator. Make sure your have
    x86 BSP.

    kalaimaran wrote:
    > Thanks lebouchern. My goal is simple. I want to learn Real time
    > operting system along with hardware interrupts. I can use Simulator for
    > that. But the problem is that i can't use interrupts under Simulator.
    > Is there any way to learn about interrupts with out having target
    > board.
    >
    > !) Whether dual harddisk will solve the problem of loading VxWorks OS
    > and XP?
    > 2)if so, Do you have document on that? I am new to this field.
    > 3)if not, what is other possibilites?

  9. Re: Booting PC with VxWorks OS

    Max wrote:
    > May be one thing to clarify. It seemed you want to use simulator at
    > begining. The later suggestions implies that you really want x86
    > target environmrnt, that is not really a simulator. Make sure your have
    > x86 BSP.

    I agree with that. All the things suggested deal with a target pc, that
    is to say something to experiment the x86BSP on a real plateform. The
    good thing with this BSP is that you can use compact flash card,
    microdrive, a hold hard disk with 50 Mo together with an old 486
    mother board to test all the vxworks facilities. Don 't hesitate to do
    so if you really need to develop applications.

+ Reply to Thread