How do I debug this? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on How do I debug this? - VxWorks ; Hi, I'm running on a Motorola 7457 PPC (604 family) using Tornado 2.2.1. I have a resonably large project, about 800 source files. When I build with debug symbols, everything runs fine. When I take them out, one of my ...

  1. How do I debug this?

    Hi,
    I'm running on a Motorola 7457 PPC (604 family) using Tornado
    2.2.1. I have a resonably large project, about 800 source files. When
    I build with debug symbols, everything runs fine. When I take them
    out, one of my tasks suspends during initialization. The program
    counter is a bogus value, and the task trace looks corrupted. At
    least, the entry point of the task trace is not the entry point that I
    used for the task. How would you approach debugging this?

    Ric

  2. Re: How do I debug this?

    rjhii wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I'm running on a Motorola 7457 PPC (604 family) using Tornado
    >2.2.1. I have a resonably large project, about 800 source files. When
    >I build with debug symbols, everything runs fine. When I take them
    >out, one of my tasks suspends during initialization. The program
    >counter is a bogus value, and the task trace looks corrupted. At
    >least, the entry point of the task trace is not the entry point that I
    >used for the task. How would you approach debugging this?

    Are you checking the return value of all system calls? If not, add such
    checks and check the value of errno if you find one that fails.

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: How do I debug this?

    Use the shell's built-in assembly level debugger that works without
    compiler debug symbols to single step through the code. Read about
    dbgLib.

    rjhii wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm running on a Motorola 7457 PPC (604 family) using Tornado
    > 2.2.1. I have a resonably large project, about 800 source files. When
    > I build with debug symbols, everything runs fine. When I take them
    > out, one of my tasks suspends during initialization. The program
    > counter is a bogus value, and the task trace looks corrupted. At
    > least, the entry point of the task trace is not the entry point that I
    > used for the task. How would you approach debugging this?
    >
    > Ric

  4. Re: How do I debug this?

    rjhii wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm running on a Motorola 7457 PPC (604 family) using Tornado
    > 2.2.1. I have a resonably large project, about 800 source files. When
    > I build with debug symbols, everything runs fine. When I take them
    > out, one of my tasks suspends during initialization. The program
    > counter is a bogus value, and the task trace looks corrupted. At
    > least, the entry point of the task trace is not the entry point that I
    > used for the task. How would you approach debugging this?

    Check the compiler manual to see if you're inadvertently increasing the
    optimization level when you build without debug symbols. Could be
    optimizer bug or latent real bug brought out by increased optimization.
    Don't start the task that suspends until the system is up and then
    start it with a shell command. If it still suspends, then debug it from
    the start. If it doesn't, get a hardware (JTAG/COP) debugger, go back
    to the failure scenario, and see if you can catch the exception that's
    causing the task to be suspended.
    You don't see any task suspended messages on the terminal?

    GV

+ Reply to Thread