Manipulating DosFS volumes under Windows or Linux? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Manipulating DosFS volumes under Windows or Linux? - VxWorks ; Does anybody know of a tool for windows that will let me work with DosFS filesystems (ie: add and remove files, format a flash card with DosFS, etc? Failing that, if there's something for mounting one under linux, I could ...

  1. Manipulating DosFS volumes under Windows or Linux?

    Does anybody know of a tool for windows that will let me work with
    DosFS filesystems (ie: add and remove files, format a flash card with
    DosFS, etc?

    Failing that, if there's something for mounting one under linux, I
    could deal with that as well.

    I understand DosFS is close in some ways to a DOS filesystem (naming
    conventions and whatnot), But it's obviously different in other ways,
    since when I stick the CF card containing the filesystem in a windows
    PC, it sees files on it, but the names are garbage and the sizes are
    incorrect.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Manipulating DosFS volumes under Windows or Linux?

    On 6 Aug 2006, k8jlf@aol.com wrote:

    > I understand DosFS is close in some ways to a DOS filesystem (naming
    > conventions and whatnot), But it's obviously different in other
    > ways, since when I stick the CF card containing the filesystem in a
    > windows PC, it sees files on it, but the names are garbage and the
    > sizes are incorrect.

    > Any ideas?

    It depends on how you have formatted the CF card. If it is formatted
    with 8.3 format, it would be fine. Only the VX_LONG_NAME (don't have
    docs, hope you grok) would make it incompatible to be read on a PC.

    If you are an end user, you may not have an option. If you are
    developing on vxWorks/DosFs and this criteria is important, then don't
    format with VX_LONG_NAME. Most likely if you are an end user, you
    could format the card on Dos/Windows and then use it with vxWorks. I
    doubt the device would reformat it (but anything can happen).

    Also Leonid (the developer of DosFs) has suggested that it is much
    more realiable to use the 8.3 naming convention. With regular DOS,
    there is an allocation table, a directory table and file data. Using
    an extended naming scheme adds a fourth element. There were
    synchronization/reliablity issues when using extended names. I did
    some extensive testing with random resets and the 8.3 was much more
    reliable. I did get failures that were related to TFFS ( < .5 %), but
    you are using CF...

    fwiw,
    Bill Pringlemeir.

    --
    Windows programmer - every problem solved with a switch statement.

    vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html"

+ Reply to Thread