a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260 - VxWorks

This is a discussion on a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260 - VxWorks ; Hi ,all Here i have a new question about mpc8260 watchdog timer, I know how to control it, but I do not know how to use it. I have to enable it when 8260 starts up(in romInit.s), Someone tell me ...

  1. a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    Hi ,all

    Here i have a new question about mpc8260 watchdog timer,
    I know how to control it, but I do not know how to use it.
    I have to enable it when 8260 starts up(in romInit.s), Someone tell me
    I can pet the dog in usrClock( ) or pet it in a new task, but I am sure
    that
    my own application are not just in the same task used to pet the dog.
    I wanna use watch dog to guard my own application,but not the OS or
    some "new task".
    If my own application turn down, and the OS and the task used to pet
    watch dog may be still alive, 8260 would not reboot. Could anyone give
    me any suggestion to use it?

    Thank you for your help!

    cxz ,in Dalian

  2. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    It a little unclear on what you want to accomplish, but if your app
    "goes down" and you want to reboot, then I would have "your app" pet
    the watchdog directly.

    But if the whole board locked up somehow, including the kernel, you
    might want to have a low priority task running that pets the watchdog
    for everyone.

    Good luck,
    lc

    PS: usrClock doesn't have anything to do with watchdogs from what I can
    tell, especially those that are built in the HW
    cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > Hi ,all
    >
    > Here i have a new question about mpc8260 watchdog timer,
    > I know how to control it, but I do not know how to use it.
    > I have to enable it when 8260 starts up(in romInit.s), Someone tell me
    > I can pet the dog in usrClock( ) or pet it in a new task, but I am sure
    > that
    > my own application are not just in the same task used to pet the dog.
    > I wanna use watch dog to guard my own application,but not the OS or
    > some "new task".
    > If my own application turn down, and the OS and the task used to pet
    > watch dog may be still alive, 8260 would not reboot. Could anyone give
    > me any suggestion to use it?
    >
    > Thank you for your help!
    >

    > cxz ,in Dalian

  3. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    Thank you for your help, I mean I dont know where and when to pet the
    dog.
    My app have only one task,I mean i want the dog to guard my own task in
    which I may pet the dog. Since the longest time for 8260 is only 2
    second, if i enable SYPCR[SWE] when 8260 power on, the dog may timeout
    in the pre-init routine and reboot.

    You know,after 8260 power on,it will uncompress bsp-image on flash,and
    load and go vxworks-image, then some pre-init routine, at last is my
    own task, all the above may take a long time.so if i pet the dog in my
    own task, it must time out before i pet it.

    Does vxwork provide any API for user to pet the HW watch dog?

    LarryC wrote:
    > It a little unclear on what you want to accomplish, but if your app
    > "goes down" and you want to reboot, then I would have "your app" pet
    > the watchdog directly.
    >
    > But if the whole board locked up somehow, including the kernel, you
    > might want to have a low priority task running that pets the watchdog
    > for everyone.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > lc
    >
    > PS: usrClock doesn't have anything to do with watchdogs from what I can
    > tell, especially those that are built in the HW
    > cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > > Hi ,all
    > >
    > > Here i have a new question about mpc8260 watchdog timer,
    > > I know how to control it, but I do not know how to use it.
    > > I have to enable it when 8260 starts up(in romInit.s), Someone tell me
    > > I can pet the dog in usrClock( ) or pet it in a new task, but I am sure
    > > that
    > > my own application are not just in the same task used to pet the dog.
    > > I wanna use watch dog to guard my own application,but not the OS or
    > > some "new task".
    > > If my own application turn down, and the OS and the task used to pet
    > > watch dog may be still alive, 8260 would not reboot. Could anyone give
    > > me any suggestion to use it?
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help!
    > >

    > > cxz ,in Dalian

  4. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    There is no API, unless your BSP vendor provides one.

    Avoid starting the WD when your board boots - wait until everything
    settles down, start a task that inits the dog, and pets it
    periodically. Adjust the priority of the pet task to work in your
    system. The actual delay until the dog goes off is not real critical.
    Good luck,
    lc
    cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > Thank you for your help, I mean I dont know where and when to pet the
    > dog.
    > My app have only one task,I mean i want the dog to guard my own task in
    > which I may pet the dog. Since the longest time for 8260 is only 2
    > second, if i enable SYPCR[SWE] when 8260 power on, the dog may timeout
    > in the pre-init routine and reboot.
    >
    > You know,after 8260 power on,it will uncompress bsp-image on flash,and
    > load and go vxworks-image, then some pre-init routine, at last is my
    > own task, all the above may take a long time.so if i pet the dog in my
    > own task, it must time out before i pet it.
    >
    > Does vxwork provide any API for user to pet the HW watch dog?
    >
    > LarryC wrote:
    > > It a little unclear on what you want to accomplish, but if your app
    > > "goes down" and you want to reboot, then I would have "your app" pet
    > > the watchdog directly.
    > >
    > > But if the whole board locked up somehow, including the kernel, you
    > > might want to have a low priority task running that pets the watchdog
    > > for everyone.
    > >
    > > Good luck,
    > > lc
    > >
    > > PS: usrClock doesn't have anything to do with watchdogs from what I can
    > > tell, especially those that are built in the HW
    > > cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > > > Hi ,all
    > > >
    > > > Here i have a new question about mpc8260 watchdog timer,
    > > > I know how to control it, but I do not know how to use it.
    > > > I have to enable it when 8260 starts up(in romInit.s), Someone tell me
    > > > I can pet the dog in usrClock( ) or pet it in a new task, but I am sure
    > > > that
    > > > my own application are not just in the same task used to pet the dog.
    > > > I wanna use watch dog to guard my own application,but not the OS or
    > > > some "new task".
    > > > If my own application turn down, and the OS and the task used to pet
    > > > watch dog may be still alive, 8260 would not reboot. Could anyone give
    > > > me any suggestion to use it?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for your help!
    > > >

    > > > cxz ,in Dalian

  5. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    That may be a good choice in other processor,
    But to mpc8260, I can not change SYPCR after everything settles
    down,even though disable it at the boot time, unless change it when
    8260 power on( may be in romInit.s).

    Do you have any method to make SYPCR be changed anytime you want?
    Thanks for help!

    LarryC wrote:
    > There is no API, unless your BSP vendor provides one.
    >
    > Avoid starting the WD when your board boots - wait until everything
    > settles down, start a task that inits the dog, and pets it
    > periodically. Adjust the priority of the pet task to work in your
    > system. The actual delay until the dog goes off is not real critical.
    > Good luck,
    > lc
    > cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > > Thank you for your help, I mean I dont know where and when to pet the
    > > dog.
    > > My app have only one task,I mean i want the dog to guard my own task in
    > > which I may pet the dog. Since the longest time for 8260 is only 2
    > > second, if i enable SYPCR[SWE] when 8260 power on, the dog may timeout
    > > in the pre-init routine and reboot.
    > >
    > > You know,after 8260 power on,it will uncompress bsp-image on flash,and
    > > load and go vxworks-image, then some pre-init routine, at last is my
    > > own task, all the above may take a long time.so if i pet the dog in my
    > > own task, it must time out before i pet it.
    > >
    > > Does vxwork provide any API for user to pet the HW watch dog?
    > >
    > > LarryC wrote:
    > > > It a little unclear on what you want to accomplish, but if your app
    > > > "goes down" and you want to reboot, then I would have "your app" pet
    > > > the watchdog directly.
    > > >
    > > > But if the whole board locked up somehow, including the kernel, you
    > > > might want to have a low priority task running that pets the watchdog
    > > > for everyone.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck,
    > > > lc
    > > >
    > > > PS: usrClock doesn't have anything to do with watchdogs from what I can
    > > > tell, especially those that are built in the HW

  6. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    Hi:

    If you leave it enabled by default by not writing to SYPCR, you'll have
    to pet it, maybe in your early startup code, before you can get your
    regular task fired up.

    Lc

    cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > That may be a good choice in other processor,
    > But to mpc8260, I can not change SYPCR after everything settles
    > down,even though disable it at the boot time, unless change it when
    > 8260 power on( may be in romInit.s).
    >
    > Do you have any method to make SYPCR be changed anytime you want?
    > Thanks for help!
    >
    > LarryC wrote:
    > > There is no API, unless your BSP vendor provides one.
    > >
    > > Avoid starting the WD when your board boots - wait until everything
    > > settles down, start a task that inits the dog, and pets it
    > > periodically. Adjust the priority of the pet task to work in your
    > > system. The actual delay until the dog goes off is not real critical.
    > > Good luck,
    > > lc
    > > cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > > > Thank you for your help, I mean I dont know where and when to pet the
    > > > dog.
    > > > My app have only one task,I mean i want the dog to guard my own task in
    > > > which I may pet the dog. Since the longest time for 8260 is only 2
    > > > second, if i enable SYPCR[SWE] when 8260 power on, the dog may timeout
    > > > in the pre-init routine and reboot.
    > > >
    > > > You know,after 8260 power on,it will uncompress bsp-image on flash,and
    > > > load and go vxworks-image, then some pre-init routine, at last is my
    > > > own task, all the above may take a long time.so if i pet the dog in my
    > > > own task, it must time out before i pet it.
    > > >
    > > > Does vxwork provide any API for user to pet the HW watch dog?

  7. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    Thank you for helping me,LC
    I knew I can do it like that, but you know, I have to pet the dog
    throughout my bsp,
    which may not be a good method.
    anything else?

    LarryC wrote:
    > Hi:
    >

    > If you leave it enabled by default by not writing to SYPCR, you'll have
    > to pet it, maybe in your early startup code, before you can get your
    > regular task fired up.
    >
    > Lc
    >

    > cxz@hy-mobile.com wrote:
    > > That may be a good choice in other processor,
    > > But to mpc8260, I can not change SYPCR after everything settles
    > > down,even though disable it at the boot time, unless change it when
    > > 8260 power on( may be in romInit.s).
    > >
    > > Do you have any method to make SYPCR be changed anytime you want?
    > > Thanks for help!
    > >
    > > LarryC wrote:
    > > > There is no API, unless your BSP vendor provides one.
    > > >
    > > > Avoid starting the WD when your board boots - wait until everything
    > > > settles down, start a task that inits the dog, and pets it
    > > > periodically. Adjust the priority of the pet task to work in your
    > > > system. The actual delay until the dog goes off is not real critical.
    > > > Good luck,
    > > > lc

  8. Re: a new qustion about watchdog timer of mpc8260

    There is not anything else. As larry told you,
    1. Can't change SYPCR after everything settlee down, you
    have to pet the WD dog in your BSP.
    2. >>Avoid starting the WD when your board boots - wait until
    everything
    settles down, start a task that inits the dog, and pets it
    periodically. Adjust the priority of the pet task to work in your
    system. The actual delay until the dog goes off is not real critical
    <<

    You just have to make the decision. Why could you do the second way?
    Any special feature for SYPCR of MPC 8260?

+ Reply to Thread