RTOS system calls internals - VxWorks

This is a discussion on RTOS system calls internals - VxWorks ; Hi all, I have some knowledge on the VxWorks, as a programmer i know the function of some VxWorks calls, but i want to know the internals of each call, what r the data structures it will maintain at time ...

  1. RTOS system calls internals

    Hi all,

    I have some knowledge on the VxWorks, as a programmer i know the
    function of some VxWorks calls, but i want to know the internals of
    each call, what r the data structures it will maintain at time of each
    call and how it is performs i.e. i want to know the internals of RTOS
    system calls

    any body please help me where i can get the exact information.

    Thanks in advance....

    Regards
    sai.e

  2. Re: RTOS system calls internals

    Other than what it documented in the HTML, the internals are not
    available without paying WindRiver for an enterprise license that get
    you the source, and signing NDAs.

    The only benefit to having the source is you can easily see what error
    conditions are, and to easily see what configuration variables are
    available. Most of it is pretty standard stuff - nothing really
    enlightening in it, and it a little unreadable due to all the #if's and
    target specific sections.

    It's not an open source OS and I doubt anyone is going to write an
    "VxWorks Internals" book and risk the consequences with WRS.

    The best doc is given out by WRS at their device driver and bsp
    courses. Some of those may be available online somewhere.

    Good luck,
    lc
    Sai wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have some knowledge on the VxWorks, as a programmer i know the
    > function of some VxWorks calls, but i want to know the internals of
    > each call, what r the data structures it will maintain at time of each
    > call and how it is performs i.e. i want to know the internals of RTOS
    > system calls
    >
    > any body please help me where i can get the exact information.
    >
    > Thanks in advance....
    >
    > Regards
    > sai.e

  3. Re: RTOS system calls internals

    LarryC wrote:
    > Other than what it documented in the HTML, the internals are not
    > available without paying WindRiver for an enterprise license that get
    > you the source, and signing NDAs.

    Actually, I think with the vxWorks 6.X series, you get the source code
    for the full OS by default.

  4. Re: RTOS system calls internals

    On 6 Aug 2006, jeff@thecreems.com wrote:
    > Actually, I think with the vxWorks 6.X series, you get the source
    > code for the full OS by default.

    The OP didn't state what they are using. However, for the brave of
    heart, the headers in the private directories can be helpful in
    determining some of vxWorks's structure.

    The binutils are also very useful. It is instructive to use 'nm' on
    all of the ".o" files in the libraries and look for the "hook"
    functions. These are often private BSP mechanisms to customize
    behavior.

    Finally, learning a little TCL and exploring the host directory can
    also tell you some more details of vxWorks internals.

    And then as Dave Korn taught me, it is really easy to use the
    bin-utils ( esp. "objdump --disassemble") to take a look at the
    internal implementation. You only have to do this with a few select
    functions to start to determine how things are structured... All
    without paying for source.

    Sooner or later, our sales rep determined that I would figure things
    out and he offered to give us select source on request. This will
    also happen if you are using an older version of vxWorks, you have a
    genuine problem, and the tech support are having difficulty
    reproducing your problem, etc. Often, they will give you the source
    to the offending ".o" file in the library. This lets you insert
    traces and patch the code. I found this especially true with the PPP
    bundle and DosFS.

    hth,
    Bill Pringlemeir.

    --
    Keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler. - A. Einstein

    vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html"

  5. Re: RTOS system calls internals

    vxWorks does not have a "system call" per se. that is, unlike unix
    like systems where traps are used to hook into system mode function
    calls, vxworks system library routines are just normal C functions.

    when this was done at the time of implementation, vxWorks was one of
    the few systems that worked this way. it still is.

    Looking at C header include files will tell you data structures.

    if you want to look at details of each function, you can disassemble
    the code. vxWorks shell has a built-in debugger (dbgLib) which allows
    this. you can even set a breakpoint and trace the call at assembly
    level.

    Sai wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have some knowledge on the VxWorks, as a programmer i know the
    > function of some VxWorks calls, but i want to know the internals of
    > each call, what r the data structures it will maintain at time of each
    > call and how it is performs i.e. i want to know the internals of RTOS
    > system calls
    >
    > any body please help me where i can get the exact information.
    >
    > Thanks in advance....
    >
    > Regards
    > sai.e

+ Reply to Thread