ARINC Resources - VxWorks

This is a discussion on ARINC Resources - VxWorks ; Hi Everyone, Does anyone know of any good ARINC documentation, tutorials or other resources. I have the ARINC manual from SBS and their Integrated Avionics Library, but they're not very good for newbies. I want to learn more about major/minor ...

  1. ARINC Resources

    Hi Everyone,

    Does anyone know of any good ARINC documentation, tutorials or other
    resources. I have the ARINC manual from SBS and their Integrated
    Avionics Library, but they're not very good for newbies. I want to
    learn more about major/minor frames. I'm not sure why I would even
    need them. Any help is much appreciated!

  2. Re: ARINC Resources

    You should check out www.ddc-web.com. They are the std for ARINC and
    1553 devices. Read the 1553 design guide - you can download that.

    You may or may not need major and minor frames. The minor frame time,
    say 5ms, is used to schedule frame the most frequently transmitted
    frames. Major frames are used by the components to schedule a complete
    cyclic set of frames at given rate. So you might have minor frames at
    5ms, 10ms, 20ms, 40ms, and 120ms, you can repeat the whole cycle at 5
    second intervals by creating a major frame time of 5 secs and defining
    it to be made up of those minor frames.

    If you have trouble registering for the DDC info, send me a list of
    what you need.

    Are you working on 1553 or ARINC - they are pretty close.

    lc
    vimal.gopal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > Does anyone know of any good ARINC documentation, tutorials or other
    > resources. I have the ARINC manual from SBS and their Integrated
    > Avionics Library, but they're not very good for newbies. I want to
    > learn more about major/minor frames. I'm not sure why I would even
    > need them. Any help is much appreciated!

  3. Re: ARINC Resources

    Hi Larry,

    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the link you sent. I'm actually
    interested in ARINC 429. I'm not sure how similar 1553 is to 429, but
    I'm sure the concept of major/minor frames are the same. I know about
    the ARINC429 word. 32 bits comprised of data, a label and/or SDI, an
    SSM, and a bit for parity. When you say "frame" is that the same thing
    as an ARINC429 word? Thanks again.

    LarryC wrote:
    > You should check out www.ddc-web.com. They are the std for ARINC and
    > 1553 devices. Read the 1553 design guide - you can download that.
    >
    > You may or may not need major and minor frames. The minor frame time,
    > say 5ms, is used to schedule frame the most frequently transmitted
    > frames. Major frames are used by the components to schedule a complete
    > cyclic set of frames at given rate. So you might have minor frames at
    > 5ms, 10ms, 20ms, 40ms, and 120ms, you can repeat the whole cycle at 5
    > second intervals by creating a major frame time of 5 secs and defining
    > it to be made up of those minor frames.
    >
    > If you have trouble registering for the DDC info, send me a list of
    > what you need.
    >
    > Are you working on 1553 or ARINC - they are pretty close.
    >
    > lc
    > vimal.gopal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi Everyone,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of any good ARINC documentation, tutorials or other
    > > resources. I have the ARINC manual from SBS and their Integrated
    > > Avionics Library, but they're not very good for newbies. I want to
    > > learn more about major/minor frames. I'm not sure why I would even
    > > need them. Any help is much appreciated!

  4. Re: ARINC Resources

    Hi:

    Complete ARINC messages tend to be single word transfers, because of
    the way the messages contain field specific labels, while 1553 tends to
    be longer (up to 32 16bit word) messages.

    Check out Condor's website in addition to DDC. They have a 429
    tutorial available also. www.condoreng.com - They are part of GE Fanuc
    now I think, so the web sites may be migrating.

    In 1553 speak, a frame would be a series of messages tranferred at
    least once at the rate of the slowest message. Minor frames occur at
    faster rates at a fractional multiple of the major frame rate. IE the
    major frame might be 60ms, and minor frames are at 15ms and 20, and
    30ms rates.

    Good luck,
    lc

    vimal.gopal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Larry,
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I'll check out the link you sent. I'm actually
    > interested in ARINC 429. I'm not sure how similar 1553 is to 429, but
    > I'm sure the concept of major/minor frames are the same. I know about
    > the ARINC429 word. 32 bits comprised of data, a label and/or SDI, an
    > SSM, and a bit for parity. When you say "frame" is that the same thing
    > as an ARINC429 word? Thanks again.
    >
    > LarryC wrote:
    > > You should check out www.ddc-web.com. They are the std for ARINC and
    > > 1553 devices. Read the 1553 design guide - you can download that.
    > >
    > > You may or may not need major and minor frames. The minor frame time,
    > > say 5ms, is used to schedule frame the most frequently transmitted
    > > frames. Major frames are used by the components to schedule a complete
    > > cyclic set of frames at given rate. So you might have minor frames at
    > > 5ms, 10ms, 20ms, 40ms, and 120ms, you can repeat the whole cycle at 5
    > > second intervals by creating a major frame time of 5 secs and defining
    > > it to be made up of those minor frames.
    > >
    > > If you have trouble registering for the DDC info, send me a list of
    > > what you need.
    > >
    > > Are you working on 1553 or ARINC - they are pretty close.
    > >
    > > lc
    > > vimal.gopal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Hi Everyone,
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know of any good ARINC documentation, tutorials or other
    > > > resources. I have the ARINC manual from SBS and their Integrated
    > > > Avionics Library, but they're not very good for newbies. I want to
    > > > learn more about major/minor frames. I'm not sure why I would even
    > > > need them. Any help is much appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread