ARP Resolve problem - VxWorks

This is a discussion on ARP Resolve problem - VxWorks ; Hi, I am using Tornado 2.2 with prpmc800 CPU board. I have created few interfaces on the board and all the interfaces are shown using "ifShow" command. ge (unit number 4): Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST MULTICAST ARP RUNNING Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD ...

  1. ARP Resolve problem

    Hi,

    I am using Tornado 2.2 with prpmc800 CPU board. I have created few
    interfaces on the board and all the interfaces are shown using "ifShow"
    command.

    ge (unit number 4):
    Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST MULTICAST ARP RUNNING
    Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD
    Internet address: 12.0.0.1
    Broadcast address: 12.0.0.255
    Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    Ethernet address is 00:01:01:00:02:04
    Metric is 0
    Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    The topology is:

    Vxworks box(ge4)----------Ixia

    I have connected Ixia packet generator and configured the IP address
    12.0.0.2 to the connected interface. When I tried to ping from Vxworks
    box, box sends ARP request and Ixia responds with ARP reply. But the
    ARP entries are not added to the ARP table of the Vxworks. Because of
    which ping fails. Could you provide me the solution for this. Do we
    need to include separate component for ARP ? Please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Kumaresh

  2. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    I am using Vxworks 5.5

    -> version
    VxWorks (for Motorola PrPMC800-2251- MPC 7410) version VxWorks5.5.
    Kernel: WIND version 2.6

    Thanks,
    Kumaresh

    kumaresh.perumal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Tornado 2.2 with prpmc800 CPU board. I have created few
    > interfaces on the board and all the interfaces are shown using "ifShow"
    > command.
    >
    > ge (unit number 4):
    > Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST MULTICAST ARP RUNNING
    > Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD
    > Internet address: 12.0.0.1
    > Broadcast address: 12.0.0.255
    > Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    > Ethernet address is 00:01:01:00:02:04
    > Metric is 0
    > Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    > The topology is:
    >
    > Vxworks box(ge4)----------Ixia
    >
    > I have connected Ixia packet generator and configured the IP address
    > 12.0.0.2 to the connected interface. When I tried to ping from Vxworks
    > box, box sends ARP request and Ixia responds with ARP reply. But the
    > ARP entries are not added to the ARP table of the Vxworks. Because of
    > which ping fails. Could you provide me the solution for this. Do we
    > need to include separate component for ARP ? Please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kumaresh

  3. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    No you need not add any other components. What did arpShow print ?

    Ranga
    kumaresh.perumal@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Tornado 2.2 with prpmc800 CPU board. I have created few
    > interfaces on the board and all the interfaces are shown using "ifShow"
    > command.
    >
    > ge (unit number 4):
    > Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST MULTICAST ARP RUNNING
    > Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD
    > Internet address: 12.0.0.1
    > Broadcast address: 12.0.0.255
    > Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    > Ethernet address is 00:01:01:00:02:04
    > Metric is 0
    > Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    > The topology is:
    >
    > Vxworks box(ge4)----------Ixia
    >
    > I have connected Ixia packet generator and configured the IP address
    > 12.0.0.2 to the connected interface. When I tried to ping from Vxworks
    > box, box sends ARP request and Ixia responds with ARP reply. But the
    > ARP entries are not added to the ARP table of the Vxworks. Because of
    > which ping fails. Could you provide me the solution for this. Do we
    > need to include separate component for ARP ? Please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kumaresh

  4. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    > No you need not add any other components. What did arpShow print ?
    >
    > Ranga
    > kumaresh.perumal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am using Tornado 2.2 with prpmc800 CPU board. I have created few
    > > interfaces on the board and all the interfaces are shown using
    > > "ifShow"
    > > command.
    > >
    > > ge (unit number 4):
    > > Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST MULTICAST ARP RUNNING
    > > Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD
    > > Internet address: 12.0.0.1
    > > Broadcast address: 12.0.0.255
    > > Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    > > Ethernet address is 00:01:01:00:02:04
    > > Metric is 0
    > > Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    > > The topology is:
    > >
    > > Vxworks box(ge4)----------Ixia
    > >
    > > I have connected Ixia packet generator and configured the IP address
    > > 12..0.2 to the connected interface. When I tried to ping from
    > > Vxworks
    > > box, box sends ARP request and Ixia responds with ARP reply. But
    > > the
    > > ARP entries are not added to the ARP table of the Vxworks.
    > > Because of
    > > which ping fails. Could you provide me the solution for this. Do
    > > we
    > > need to include separate component for ARP ? Please let me know.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Kumaresh

    Hi,

    please take a look at arpLib and see what arpShow prints.
    you could try to add "arpAdd" your ip/mac combination manually.

    STATUS arpAdd (char * host, char * eaddr, int flags)

    and test if it stays in the arp table and if ping works. Please let us
    knwat result you get.

    --

  5. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    I have tried arpAdd and later the ping works. But like in linux,
    dynamic arp entries should be added to the arp table without adding
    manually.

    ReneeTeunissen wrote:
    > > No you need not add any other components. What did arpShow print ?
    > >
    > > Ranga
    > > kumaresh.perumal@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I am using Tornado 2.2 with prpmc800 CPU board. I have created few
    > > > interfaces on the board and all the interfaces are shown using
    > > > "ifShow"
    > > > command.
    > > >
    > > > ge (unit number 4):
    > > > Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST MULTICAST ARP RUNNING
    > > > Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD
    > > > Internet address: 12.0.0.1
    > > > Broadcast address: 12.0.0.255
    > > > Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    > > > Ethernet address is 00:01:01:00:02:04
    > > > Metric is 0
    > > > Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    > > > The topology is:
    > > >
    > > > Vxworks box(ge4)----------Ixia
    > > >
    > > > I have connected Ixia packet generator and configured the IP address
    > > > 12..0.2 to the connected interface. When I tried to ping from
    > > > Vxworks
    > > > box, box sends ARP request and Ixia responds with ARP reply. But
    > > > the
    > > > ARP entries are not added to the ARP table of the Vxworks.
    > > > Because of
    > > > which ping fails. Could you provide me the solution for this. Do
    > > > we
    > > > need to include separate component for ARP ? Please let me know.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Kumaresh

    > Hi,
    >
    > please take a look at arpLib and see what arpShow prints.
    > you could try to add "arpAdd" your ip/mac combination manually.
    >
    > STATUS arpAdd (char * host, char * eaddr, int flags)
    >
    > and test if it stays in the arp table and if ping works. Please let us
    > knwat result you get.
    >
    > --

  6. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    > I have tried arpAdd and later the ping works. But like in linux,
    > dynamic arp entries should be added to the arp table without adding
    > manually.
    >
    > ReneeTeunissen wrote:
    > > > No you need not add any other components. What did arpShow print ?
    > > >
    > > > Ranga

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > please take a look at arpLib and see what arpShow prints.
    > > you could try to add "arpAdd" your ip/mac combination manually.
    > >
    > > STATUS arpAdd (char * host, char * eaddr, int flags)
    > >
    > > and test if it stays in the arp table and if ping works. Please let
    > > us
    > > knwat result you get.
    > >
    > > --

    Ofcourse it should. This is nothing more than a way to see if the
    ethernet functionality is functional or not.

    Now you have the wonderfull job to findout why it is not getting in
    there. Maybe you should step thru the code to see why it's not added.
    Put a breakpoint on arpAdd (and so) and see if your program are broker
    by it, if you change IP by calling ifAddrAdd and alike calls.

    Try to be clever and thin of a way how to debug/test things in
    your setup.

    Greetinx,
    Renee

    --

  7. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    Renee,

    Thanks for your response.

    In our code, we have a check while adding ARP entries. If the entries
    are only static, we use arpAdd to add the ARP entries to the table. But
    for all the other dynamic entries, it should be taken care by the
    Vxworks. I think this should be a basic problem.

    Since arp entries are added when I use arpAdd, I don't think there shud
    be any problem in arpAdd( ). Currently I am not having the source code
    and this will delay my debugging. If you have seen this error before,
    please let me know to resolve this.

    Thanks,
    Kumaresh

    > Ofcourse it should. This is nothing more than a way to see if the
    > ethernet functionality is functional or not.
    >
    > Now you have the wonderfull job to findout why it is not getting in
    > there. Maybe you should step thru the code to see why it's not added.
    > Put a breakpoint on arpAdd (and so) and see if your program are broker
    > by it, if you change IP by calling ifAddrAdd and alike calls.
    >
    > Try to be clever and thin of a way how to debug/test things in
    > your setup.
    >
    > Greetinx,
    > Renee
    >
    > --

  8. Re: ARP Resolve problem

    Check the IP address configuration, since vxworks will not add entries to ARP table if the source is in different subnet than the device.Only work round use static arp entry.

    If we reset to factory and do not change the IP address dynamic arp with source in different subnet also will work.

+ Reply to Thread