VME backplane bus connector cleaning! - VxWorks

This is a discussion on VME backplane bus connector cleaning! - VxWorks ; HI guys, Did you guys have any experience to clean the VME backplane bus connectors? We have a ELMA backplane with 21 slots. We have been using it for 5 years and it results in very dirty with oil from ...

  1. VME backplane bus connector cleaning!

    HI guys,

    Did you guys have any experience to clean the VME backplane bus
    connectors? We have a ELMA backplane with 21 slots. We have been using
    it for 5 years and it results in very dirty with oil from hands
    (touched the connector side of cards and oil got sticked onto the
    backplane i guess) and dust from air. We can use canned compressed air
    to clean the dust, but how to clean oil from those tiny holes on the
    bus connector?

    Thanks in advance
    Ray

  2. Re: VME backplane bus connector cleaning!

    Isopropyl alcohol should dissolved the oil. Lots of commercial contact
    cleaners also should work.

    lc
    Ray wrote:
    > HI guys,
    >
    > Did you guys have any experience to clean the VME backplane bus
    > connectors? We have a ELMA backplane with 21 slots. We have been using
    > it for 5 years and it results in very dirty with oil from hands
    > (touched the connector side of cards and oil got sticked onto the
    > backplane i guess) and dust from air. We can use canned compressed air
    > to clean the dust, but how to clean oil from those tiny holes on the
    > bus connector?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Ray

  3. Re: VME backplane bus connector cleaning!

    Larry,

    I know alcohol can do the job. I am in need of a tool to clean all
    holes with that alcohol. It is just too time-consuming to use a needle
    or something to clean holes one by one. that is 21 slots with thousands
    of holes!

    Is there something like a male connector with alcohol sticking into the
    female backplane connector to do the job?

    Ray

  4. Re: VME backplane bus connector cleaning!

    Sounds like it might be time to check ebay for a replacement. You might
    even get a few 68K cards as part of the deal.

    Good luck,

    lc

    Ray wrote:
    > Larry,
    >
    > I know alcohol can do the job. I am in need of a tool to clean all
    > holes with that alcohol. It is just too time-consuming to use a needle
    > or something to clean holes one by one. that is 21 slots with thousands
    > of holes!
    >
    > Is there something like a male connector with alcohol sticking into the
    > female backplane connector to do the job?
    >
    > Ray

+ Reply to Thread