How to split system requirements to tasks - VxWorks

This is a discussion on How to split system requirements to tasks - VxWorks ; Hi, Any discussions or references on how to split tasks for my system? How could I determine how many tasks I really need, in the system design view? Thanks!...

  1. How to split system requirements to tasks

    Hi,
    Any discussions or references on how to split tasks for my system?
    How could I determine how many tasks I really need, in the system
    design view?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: How to split system requirements to tasks

    Hi,

    this is not an VxWorks-specific topic, but a quick answer anyway. If
    you have used the use case technique to state your funcitonal
    requirements, one way of doing it is to think in boundary (context
    I/F), entity ("knowing"/domain-specific), and a control class per use
    case. Check the books "Applying UML and Patterns" or "Doing Hard Time".

    Please defer any further discussion to direct mail,

    Troels Jensen

    jeanwelly skrev:

    > Hi,
    > Any discussions or references on how to split tasks for my system?
    > How could I determine how many tasks I really need, in the system
    > design view?
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: How to split system requirements to tasks

    jeanwelly wrote:

    >Hi,

    Yup!

    >Any discussions or references on how to split tasks for my system?
    >How could I determine how many tasks I really need, in the system
    >design view?

    Every design I've done under VxWorks has had a task associated with each
    interrupt source. (To allow for networking, it might be more accurate to
    say tasks are associated with each source of asynchronous events.) Each
    task, then, pends on a semaphore, message queue, or whatever that its
    associated ISR gives, writes, etc. This fits in very well with priority
    preemptive multitasking, and makes determining tasks' priorities relatively
    easy.

    >Thanks!

    HTH.

    | two, one and one make one."

  4. Re: How to split system requirements to tasks

    It's really an effective way to think of this kind of consideration...
    To simulate the real world, I think "one type of work" could be moduled
    to be a task...

    Michael R. Kesti wrote:
    > jeanwelly wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,

    > Yup!
    >
    > >Any discussions or references on how to split tasks for my system?
    > >How could I determine how many tasks I really need, in the system
    > >design view?

    > Every design I've done under VxWorks has had a task associated with each
    > interrupt source. (To allow for networking, it might be more accurate to
    > say tasks are associated with each source of asynchronous events.) Each
    > task, then, pends on a semaphore, message queue, or whatever that its
    > associated ISR gives, writes, etc. This fits in very well with priority
    > preemptive multitasking, and makes determining tasks' priorities relatively
    > easy.
    >
    > >Thanks!

    > HTH.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

+ Reply to Thread