How to reduce bootrom size? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on How to reduce bootrom size? - VxWorks ; I made a bootrom image file(bootrom_res), but it is so big. I have to reduce the size of bootrom image. How do I reduce the bootrom size using Tornado? For your information, I'm using Tornado version 2.2.1. Please let me ...

  1. How to reduce bootrom size?

    I made a bootrom image file(bootrom_res), but it is so big.
    I have to reduce the size of bootrom image.
    How do I reduce the bootrom size using Tornado?
    For your information, I'm using Tornado version 2.2.1.
    Please let me know how to reduce the size of a bootrom image.

    Thanks...

  2. Re: How to reduce bootrom size?

    Hi:

    Start by taking out things you don't need. At the bootrom prompt, type
    "?" and look for the device list of where you can boot from. You'll
    see things like scsi, eth (in some form), tffs, etc. If you only boot
    from the network, then take out everything except "eth". Also tftp can
    be used to netboot, vs regular ftp, which is a lot larger.

    Other than that, just go through the project and take out what else is
    not needed. It will warn you if you take out things that are needed.
    Sizes are given as you delete things.

    Good luck,
    lc
    Joon wrote:
    > I made a bootrom image file(bootrom_res), but it is so big.
    > I have to reduce the size of bootrom image.
    > How do I reduce the bootrom size using Tornado?
    > For your information, I'm using Tornado version 2.2.1.
    > Please let me know how to reduce the size of a bootrom image.
    >
    > Thanks...

  3. Re: How to reduce bootrom size?

    > I made a bootrom image file(bootrom_res), but it is so big.
    > I have to reduce the size of bootrom image.
    > How do I reduce the bootrom size using Tornado?
    > For your information, I'm using Tornado version 2.2.1.
    > Please let me know how to reduce the size of a bootrom image.
    >
    > Thanks...

    Hi,

    Why do you create a resident bootimage (let the bootrom-code run from
    rom/flash) ??

    Why dont you make a "default" bootimage, which will have a compressed
    bootcode, which is quite smaller that a resident bootimage.