Simple Client Server - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Simple Client Server - VxWorks ; Hello all, I have made a simple client/server program and I have it running fine on Unix. I am able to start an instance of each and they send information back and forth to eachother. I now want to port ...

  1. Simple Client Server

    Hello all,

    I have made a simple client/server program and I have it running fine
    on Unix. I am able to start an instance of each and they send
    information back and forth to eachother.

    I now want to port this to VxWorks, I am using WindRiver's IDE and I
    want to know, is it possible to run either the client or the Server on
    their simulator?

    It seems like it would be possible, but documentation is very sparce
    and not totally helpful. I feel like I am missing some settings,
    possible even some function calls.

    Anyone have some sample code/settings to get something like thsi
    working? My client is real simple, gets an IP using gethostbyname, (The
    name is supplied as an argument), and just sends it some random data.

  2. Re: Simple Client Server

    Hi:

    I don't think you can run networking on the simulators - or at least
    the free one. I tried it once, and things like bind, socket, etc. all
    would not resolve.

    WRS has a better simulator that may bet able to run the networking on
    the sim.

    I think gethostbyname is not identical to the unix call. I think it's
    hostgetbyname - check the vxWorks programmer guide.

    Re the client/server setup. You can certainly run both the host and
    client on your target at the same time. You may have to make some host
    name entries on the target so that everything resolves to your target's
    ip addr or 127.0.0.1, the localhost.

    Good luck
    lc

+ Reply to Thread