Are there ANY books on VxWorks ? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Are there ANY books on VxWorks ? - VxWorks ; Are there ANY books on VxWorks ? The only I find on Amazon is one that is published on demand by Christof Wehner. Any others that are worth looking at for a newbie ? Thanks !...

  1. Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    Are there ANY books on VxWorks ? The only I find on Amazon is one that is published on demand by Christof Wehner.
    Any others that are worth looking at for a newbie ?
    Thanks !

  2. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    Go with the free ones from vxWorks - vxWorks Programmers Guide, vxWorks
    Reference, and a Tornado getting started (Widows or Unix).
    Should be some floating around the web.

    lc

  3. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    "LarryC" wrote in message news:1145828012.097675.62530@j33g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Go with the free ones from vxWorks - vxWorks Programmers Guide, vxWorks
    > Reference, and a Tornado getting started (Widows or Unix).
    > Should be some floating around the web.
    >
    > lc

    Cool! I didn't realize these were free! I will find them on the web, then.
    Your help is always valuable & on-target!
    JCD

  4. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:33:32 -0700, LarryC wrote:

    > Go with the free ones from vxWorks - vxWorks Programmers Guide, vxWorks
    > Reference, and a Tornado getting started (Widows or Unix).
    > Should be some floating around the web.

    Lots of luck getting them. I can find 5.4 manuals, but nothing so far
    dealing with 6.x. I even tried asking Wind River and was ignored.

    ~Dave~

  5. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    "Dave" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.04.24.01.54.29.36761@comteck.com...
    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:33:32 -0700, LarryC wrote:
    >
    >> Go with the free ones from vxWorks - vxWorks Programmers Guide, vxWorks
    >> Reference, and a Tornado getting started (Widows or Unix).
    >> Should be some floating around the web.

    > Lots of luck getting them. I can find 5.4 manuals, but nothing so far
    > dealing with 6.x. I even tried asking Wind River and was ignored.

    They are available free on Wind River's support site. If you have VxWorks,
    then you must have a license and a license is all you need to be able to
    access them. 5.4 is there, as is 5.5, 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3

    REH

  6. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:30:33 +0000, REH wrote:

    > "Dave" wrote in message
    > newsan.2006.04.24.01.54.29.36761@comteck.com...
    >> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:33:32 -0700, LarryC wrote:
    >>
    >>> Go with the free ones from vxWorks - vxWorks Programmers Guide, vxWorks
    >>> Reference, and a Tornado getting started (Widows or Unix).
    >>> Should be some floating around the web.

    >> Lots of luck getting them. I can find 5.4 manuals, but nothing so far
    >> dealing with 6.x. I even tried asking Wind River and was ignored.
    >>

    > They are available free on Wind River's support site. If you have VxWorks,
    > then you must have a license and a license is all you need to be able to
    > access them. 5.4 is there, as is 5.5, 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3

    And if you don't have a license? I don't have VxWorks, but would like to
    look at the manuals, which is why I asked WR, and didn't get any reply.
    Is there some reason not to let people access them?

    ~Dave~

  7. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    Dave wrote:

    >And if you don't have a license? I don't have VxWorks, but would like to
    >look at the manuals, which is why I asked WR, and didn't get any reply.
    >Is there some reason not to let people access them?

    I have used Wind River products as part of employers' and clients' projects
    but have never been employed by them nor have I purchased their products
    directly. The following is only my opinion based on these experiences.

    Wind River enjoys a very interesting market position and are able to
    succeed without having to reveal their documentation publicly. They,
    for reasons I don't pretend to understand, choose to reveal their
    documentation only to licenced customers and to potential customers of
    their choice. The latter typically include only companies that represent
    accounts that are potentially large enough to warrant their interest.
    Individuals who wish to peruse those documents in order to learn about
    their products do not, as Dave has learned, qualify.

    The Tornado 2.0 and VxWorks 5.4 manuals are available on the net (Google
    on "vxworks manual" and you'll find them.) which I find somewhat surprising
    as I would think that Wind River would not allow it. You can learn a
    great deal from them and might be well advised to take advantage of them
    while they remain available. The Tornado User's Guide, VxWork's Programmer's
    Guide, and VxWorks Reference Manual are good places to start and then the
    VxWorks Network Programmer's Guide, too. It's tough to learn this way,
    though, as the manuals make for VERY dry reading without the software to
    experiment with!

    If you are very serious enough about learning to use VxWorks, you might
    consider attending some of their training classes. They are a bit pricey,
    though, so one must be genuinely very serious!

    | two, one and one make one."

  8. Re: Are there ANY books on VxWorks ?

    Go with the 5.X manuals if you are starting out. The 6.X stuff is
    pretty new and has not gained widespread acceptance. The basic
    features of the OS are still the same with the additions of a few new
    calls. Those are details you can work out after you've mastered the
    basics.

    WRS doesn't send out manuals for free. Even if you buy the dev seats,
    it includes only a a few hardcopies of the manuals - additional copies
    have to be purchased.

    There are free vxWorks seminars that you can attend - just contact a
    sales office, pretend you are someone important, and get on the mailing
    list for them. Ask them for a quote of an enterprise license with 20
    seats, and tell them to include a quote for 200K run-time licenses per
    year. Then they'll be nice to you!

    lc

+ Reply to Thread