which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks - VxWorks

This is a discussion on which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks - VxWorks ; So which is easier to learn on your own, without big company $$$ backing you to get access to tools, hardware and software: QNX or VxWorks ? Thanks !...

  1. which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    So which is easier to learn on your own, without big company $$$ backing you to get access to tools, hardware and software: QNX or
    VxWorks ?

    Thanks !

  2. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    You've picked two pay RTOS. Why not start small with an free RTOS on a
    cheap embedded board, or Linux on some other target?

    For "practice", you can write an adaptation layer for vxWorks on top of
    one of those RTOS, or maybe someone at www.mapusoft.com will give you
    one of their RTOS "changers" for free.

    Good luck,
    lc

  3. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    Good info and suggestions - thanks !

    I am trying to see if it is even possible to learn one of these on my limited budget because I want to learn something that is
    marketable. I currently have the uC/OS-II book with CD, and have looked into eCos.

    What do you mean by "adaption layer" ? Thanks !

    "LarryC" wrote in message news:1145647701.493344.110670@g10g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > You've picked two pay RTOS. Why not start small with an free RTOS on a
    > cheap embedded board, or Linux on some other target?
    >
    > For "practice", you can write an adaptation layer for vxWorks on top of
    > one of those RTOS, or maybe someone at www.mapusoft.com will give you
    > one of their RTOS "changers" for free.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > lc

  4. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    If you get fluent in one of the free RTOSes, you should be able to
    write a vxworks.h and vxworks.c that will let you write and compile
    vxWorks code "on top of" those other RTOS.
    The mapusoft product will let you take vxWorks code and run it on unix,
    linux, and a few other os without any source changes.

    vxWorks also has a posix compliant layer that will let you bypass the
    vxWorks native calls and call functions like pThreadCreate instead of
    taskSpawn to get a task started. You can use linux to practice on the
    posix calls. The mapping of vxWorks to posix is pretty much 1-1 with
    only a handful of restrictions. Currently, we write all our vxWorks
    code to be posix-compliant so we can test it in Solaris. It works for
    any code that isn't depented directly on target devices.

    Good luck
    lc

  5. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    "LarryC" wrote in message news:1145652855.277385.275120@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > If you get fluent in one of the free RTOSes, you should be able to
    > write a vxworks.h and vxworks.c that will let you write and compile
    > vxWorks code "on top of" those other RTOS.
    > The mapusoft product will let you take vxWorks code and run it on unix,
    > linux, and a few other os without any source changes.
    >
    > vxWorks also has a posix compliant layer that will let you bypass the
    > vxWorks native calls and call functions like pThreadCreate instead of
    > taskSpawn to get a task started. You can use linux to practice on the
    > posix calls. The mapping of vxWorks to posix is pretty much 1-1 with
    > only a handful of restrictions. Currently, we write all our vxWorks
    > code to be posix-compliant so we can test it in Solaris. It works for
    > any code that isn't depented directly on target devices.
    >
    > Good luck
    > lc

    Interesting info - thanks yet again !
    Is vxworks a derivation or flavor of Linux or Unix ?
    Thanks !

  6. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    "LarryC" wrote in message news:1145652855.277385.275120@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    > If you get fluent in one of the free RTOSes, you should be able to
    > write a vxworks.h and vxworks.c that will let you write and compile
    > vxWorks code "on top of" those other RTOS.
    > The mapusoft product will let you take vxWorks code and run it on unix,
    > linux, and a few other os without any source changes.

    To that end, which of the free RTOSes would you recommend ?
    Thanks again - your help is very much appreciated.
    JCD

  7. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:03:08 -0400, pogo wrote:

    > "LarryC" wrote in message news:1145652855.277385.275120@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
    >> If you get fluent in one of the free RTOSes, you should be able to
    >> write a vxworks.h and vxworks.c that will let you write and compile
    >> vxWorks code "on top of" those other RTOS.
    >> The mapusoft product will let you take vxWorks code and run it on unix,
    >> linux, and a few other os without any source changes.

    > To that end, which of the free RTOSes would you recommend ?
    > Thanks again - your help is very much appreciated.
    > JCD

    For freebies, try

    www.rtems.com
    www.freertos.org

    RTEMS has POSIX compliance and a number of other features.

    ~Dave~

  8. Re: which is easier to learn on your own: QNX or VxWorks

    Those are both good. I also like uCLinux - very popular for small
    processors like Arms and Coldfire processors used in SOHO networking
    equipment.

    I think three RTOS will dominate in the next 5 years - Linux, vxWorks,
    and Windows CE. Most of the jobs I see are in those areas.

    Good luck,
    lc

    Forgot your question..
    Is vxworks a derivation or flavor of Linux or Unix ?

    See the FAQ - they answer that directly!

+ Reply to Thread