Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash. - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash. - VxWorks ; PPC440GX have 4 networks ports, I only enable 2nd. I can load and run vxworks image from ftp based on PPC440GX. But when boot vxWorks_rom .bin from flash it will shows some message as below, Failed to attach to END ...

  1. Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    PPC440GX have 4 networks ports, I only enable 2nd.
    I can load and run vxworks image from ftp based on PPC440GX.
    But when boot vxWorks_rom .bin from flash it will shows some message as
    below,

    Failed to attach to END device
    Attaching interface lo0...done
    wdbConfig: error configuring WDB communication interface

    VxWorks

    Copyright 1984-2002 Wind River Systems, Inc.

    CPU: IBM PowerPC 440GX Rev. 2.1
    Runtime Name: VxWorks
    Runtime Version: 5.5
    BSP version: 1.2/3
    Created: Apr 18 2006, 22:44:59
    WDB Comm Type: WDB_COMM_END
    WDB: Agent configuration failed.

    0xffffe00 (tRootTask): ipAttach: Can't attach (unit 0). It is not
    an END device.
    0xffffe00 (tRootTask): Could not find device unit 0!

    I don't know why. Have anyone give me some insights?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Rencrux

  2. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Sounds familiar. Do you have the "other" field specified in the boot
    params? That might do it.

    lc

  3. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Hello,

    What are "boot params" mentioned by you?
    Thank you.

    Regards,
    Rencrux

  4. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    After Boot from ftp, I run ifShow on shell.

    -> ifShow
    emac (unit number 2):
    Flags: (0x8063) UP BROADCAST RUNNING ARP MULTICAST
    Type: ETHERNET_CSMACD
    Internet address: 192.168.0.99
    Broadcast address: 192.168.0.255
    Netmask 0xffffff00 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    Ethernet address is 00:04:ac:6c:6c:6c
    Metric is 0
    Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    7 packets received; 3 packets sent
    7 multicast packets received
    2 multicast packets sent
    0 input errors; 0 output errors
    0 collisions; 0 dropped
    lo (unit number 0):
    Flags: (0x8069) UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ARP MULTICAST
    Type: SOFTWARE_LOOPBACK
    Internet address: 127.0.0.1
    Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xff000000
    Metric is 0
    Maximum Transfer Unit size is 32768
    0 packets received; 0 packets sent
    0 multicast packets received
    0 multicast packets sent
    0 input errors; 0 output errors
    0 collisions; 0 dropped
    value = 0 = 0x0

    I want to know what is 'lo', I suspect that the problem is from it.

  5. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    lo is the local software loopback to localhost (127.0.0.1), so you can
    run ip without an ethernet driver.
    The other i mention is in the bootParams below:

    Orion DY4[cpu0]->bootChange

    '.' = clear field; '-' = go to previous field; ^D = quit

    boot device : gteth0
    processor number : 0
    host name : test1
    file name : dy4_183/vxworks_dy4_183.cpu0
    inet on ethernet (e) : 146.58.54.21:ffffffc0
    inet on backplane (b): 192.203.0.101
    host inet (h) : 146.58.54.2
    gateway inet (g) : 146.58.54.0
    user (u) :
    ftp password (pw) (blank = use rsh): ?
    flags (f) : 0x80
    target name (tn) : ?
    startup script (s) : startup_dy4-gcp.cpu0
    other (o) : This is what you should fill in with your
    ethernet device when you boot from /tffs

    value = 0 = 0x0

    Good luck,
    lc

  6. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Now, I want to boot from vxWorks_rom.bin directly.
    How to indicate Boot Device?

    Thank you,
    Norman

  7. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Hello lc,

    Now I want to trace the progress of booting from vxworks_rom,bin
    I find the code do not enter usrInit() in usrConfig.c after romStart()
    in romStart.c.
    It should turn into usrInit() after usrInit().

    When booting from vxworks_rom,bin, It will show message as below,
    Where does the message come from?

    Failed to attach to END device
    Attaching inte**ce lo0...done
    wdbConfig: error configuring WDB communication inte**ce

    VxWorks

    Copyright 1984-2002 Wind River Systems, Inc.
    Runtime Name: VxWorks
    Runtime Version: 5.5
    BSP version: 1.2/3
    Created: Apr 19 2006, 09:17:03
    WDB Comm Type: WDB_COMM_END
    WDB: Agent configuration failed.

    Could give me some insight?

    Thank you very much
    Norman

    LarryC 写道:

    > lo is the local software loopback to localhost (127.0.0.1), so you can
    > run ip without an ethernet driver.
    > The other i mention is in the bootParams below:
    >
    > Orion DY4[cpu0]->bootChange
    >
    > '.' = clear field; '-' = go to previous field; ^D = quit
    >
    > boot device : gteth0
    > processor number : 0
    > host name : test1
    > file name : dy4_183/vxworks_dy4_183.cpu0
    > inet on ethernet (e) : 146.58.54.21:ffffffc0
    > inet on backplane (b): 192.203.0.101
    > host inet (h) : 146.58.54.2
    > gateway inet (g) : 146.58.54.0
    > user (u) :
    > ftp password (pw) (blank = use rsh): ?
    > flags (f) : 0x80
    > target name (tn) : ?
    > startup script (s) : startup_dy4-gcp.cpu0
    > other (o) : This is what you should fill in with your
    > ethernet device when you boot from /tffs
    >
    > value = 0 = 0x0
    >

    > Good luck,
    > lc

  8. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Hi:

    Did you flash that vxWorks_rom.bin into flash or eprom? That's a
    bootrom image I believe which will want to load a kernel from a net or
    flash or other location.

    I'm not clear what you are trying to do - do you want to use a bootrom
    to boot from a flash file system, or bypass the bootrom and just start
    vxWorks from rom/flash?

    Can you show how your boot parameters are set up for what you are
    doing?

    Thanks
    lc

  9. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Hello lc,

    I only want to start vxWorks_rom.bin from flash and bypass the bootrom.

    I only have enable one of 4 EMACs and have not set up other 'boot
    parameters'.
    Which 'boot parameters' should be set up?

    #define INCLUDE_NETWORK
    #define INCLUDE_END
    #define INCLUDE_EMAC_NETWORK

    #define ENET_GROUP 6
    #define EMAC2_PHY_MODE PHY_MODE_RGMII
    #define EMAC3_PHY_MODE PHY_MODE_DISABLED
    #undef EMAC0_ENABLE
    #undef EMAC1_ENABLE
    #undef EMAC3_ENABLE
    #define EMAC2_ENABLE

    #undef IP_MAX_UNITS
    #define IP_MAX_UNITS 1

    END_TBL_ENTRY endDevTbl [] =
    {

    #ifdef INCLUDE_EMAC_NETWORK

    #ifdef EMAC0_ENABLE
    {0, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_FUNC, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_STR_0, TRUE, NULL, FALSE},

    #endif
    #ifdef EMAC1_ENABLE
    {1, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_FUNC, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_STR_1, TRUE, NULL, FALSE},

    #endif
    #ifdef EMAC2_ENABLE
    {2, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_FUNC, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_STR_2, TRUE, NULL, FALSE},
    #endif
    #ifdef EMAC3_ENABLE
    {3, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_FUNC, IBM_EMAC_LOAD_STR_3, TRUE, NULL, FALSE},
    #endif
    #endif
    };

    Thank you very much.

    Regards,
    Norman

  10. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Hi:

    Did you use tornado to config the rom.bin or are you modding the
    config.h yourself? Trying it with Tornado might show some config
    erros, or at least a missing component.

    The error you are getting comes from usrNetEndDevStart in
    usrNetEndBoot.c. That's called from usrNetworkDevStart in
    usrNetworkBoot which should be built automatically in your prjConfig.c.
    Most of this has to do with booting from a network, which is what you
    aren't doing anymore, so it sounds like you should bypass all this.

    The Tornado users manual explains how a romstart differs from a net or
    other boot - G.9 Initialization Sequence for ROM-Based VxWorks. There
    are also instructions on doing a romstart image. Note that generally
    the image gets copied into RAM (text and data) before starting. If you
    really want to run from ROM. you may have to hack romStart coce to do
    this, though there may be some #defines that will configure it
    correctly.

    Good luck,
    lc

  11. Re: Failed to attach to END device when boot from flash.

    Hello:

    I meet the same problem as you. Have you solved it?

    If you solved it, Can you tell me how to do it.

    Thanks Very Much.

    You Can Send me Email: tiangangyin@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread