Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning about RTP / RTCP - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning about RTP / RTCP - VxWorks ; I have been invited to work on what should be a simple application that receives RTP audio and video streams and stores them on disk, then serves them back on demand. The platform is either VxWorks, LynxOS, or RTLinux, they ...

  1. Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning about RTP / RTCP

    I have been invited to work on what should be a simple application
    that receives RTP audio and video streams and stores them on disk,
    then serves them back on demand.

    The platform is either VxWorks, LynxOS, or RTLinux, they haven't
    decided yet which they want to use, but they would like the
    implementation to be POSIX-compliant.

    No signaling is involved; just receive the stream, store it on disk,
    and serve it up on request.

    I have a lot of experience in real time embedded software and some
    experience in TCP / UDP / IP networking, but none in RTP or RTCP.

    Can any of you recommend some good books or websites or online
    tutorials that will help me learn what I need to learn to do this?

    Thanks...

  2. Re: Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning aboutRTP / RTCP

    C. J. Clegg wrote:
    > I have been invited to work on what should be a simple application
    > that receives RTP audio and video streams and stores them on disk,
    > then serves them back on demand.
    >
    > The platform is either VxWorks, LynxOS, or RTLinux, they haven't
    > decided yet which they want to use, but they would like the
    > implementation to be POSIX-compliant.
    >
    > No signaling is involved; just receive the stream, store it on disk,
    > and serve it up on request.
    >
    > I have a lot of experience in real time embedded software and some
    > experience in TCP / UDP / IP networking, but none in RTP or RTCP.
    >
    > Can any of you recommend some good books or websites or online
    > tutorials that will help me learn what I need to learn to do this?
    >
    > Thanks...

    The only info I know of on RTPs comes from Wind River.
    They invented the things, after all. Have you used Google?

  3. Re: Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning about RTP / RTCP

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:25:47 GMT, Bill Cox wrote:

    >> Have you used Google?

    Yes, and got 29,400 hits. :-)

    There were a few helpful links, though most of them deal with H.323
    and associates, and that's not what I need right now.

    Anyway, especially for books, I can get thousands of hits with no idea
    which ones are any good and which ones are not, hence I was hoping to
    get some recommendations from folks who have been there and done that.

  4. Re: Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning aboutRTP / RTCP

    C. J. Clegg wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:25:47 GMT, Bill Cox wrote:
    >
    >>> Have you used Google?

    > Yes, and got 29,400 hits. :-)
    >
    > There were a few helpful links, though most of them deal with H.323
    > and associates, and that's not what I need right now.
    >
    > Anyway, especially for books, I can get thousands of hits with no idea
    > which ones are any good and which ones are not, hence I was hoping to
    > get some recommendations from folks who have been there and done that.

    Yes. It's a general problem with VxWorks writing. There is is only one
    book that I'm aware of written by people who knew diddly about VxWorks,
    and they decided to abstract away most of the VxWorks-specific info that
    they started with.

    That book is called "Real-Time Concepts for Embedded Systems" by Qing Li
    and Caroline Yao. And I'm not really recommending it. It's merely the
    least bad book that I've seen relative to VxWorks.

    Here's the Amazon reference:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...lance&n=283155

  5. Re: Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning about RTP / RTCP

    I'd start with the source and applications from openH323.org or
    voxgratia.org (preferred). Both have complete implementations of the
    entire H.323 protocol suite, including rtp/rtcp. There are excellent
    libraries within these that can be used for your project. The
    protocols themselves are really independent if the tcp stack - you'll
    need to implement standard udp messaging, and the rtp/rtcp will be used
    to generate the messages, along with the CODEC contents of the messages
    (G.711, uLaw, etc).

    There will be very little diffences in the protocols SW written for
    linux or vxWorks - the socket interface to vxWorks is standard BSD.

    One other suggestion - download the ethereal that has the Voip embedded
    in it - you'll be able to analyze IP streams for VoIP traffic, save
    them to disk, and playback the audio. Also can analyze jitter and does
    excellent plots.

    Good luck.. It's a fairly simple and fun project.

    LC

  6. Re: Need help (suggestions for books, websites, etc.) learning about RTP / RTCP

    C.J - Also go through the tutorials included on openh323 and voxgratia
    - they are excellent. You can go directly to the RTP/RTCP sections. I
    think you can actually used the libraries provided without knowing the
    details of the protocols.

    lc

+ Reply to Thread