Problems connecting to VxWorks FTP Server from Win NT(2K) - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Problems connecting to VxWorks FTP Server from Win NT(2K) - VxWorks ; Hello... I use Tornado 2.2 on a Win NT(2000) host.What I'm attempting to do is create a utility that allows a user on the Win2k host to access files on the ATA disk on the target. Here's my problem: I'm ...

  1. Problems connecting to VxWorks FTP Server from Win NT(2K)

    Hello...

    I use Tornado 2.2 on a Win NT(2000) host.What I'm attempting to do is
    create a utility that allows a user on the Win2k host to access files
    on the ATA disk on the target.

    Here's my problem:
    I'm unable to log in to the FTP Server on VxWorks from command line FTP
    Client on WIn NT.
    I've included the INCLUDE_FTP_SERVER component, and also see the
    ftpdTask running every time I boot.

    Diagnostics:
    When I start DOS prompt and say
    ftp> open 160.x.x.x
    it says
    connection timed out.

    Can someone give me the steps to follow in order to be able to connect
    to the VxWorks FTP Server through Win NT command line and successfully
    transfer files from Ata disk to windows?

    It would be very very very helpful!!!
    Thanks!!

    Aivid

  2. Re: Problems connecting to VxWorks FTP Server from Win NT(2K)

    Aivid:

    Have you verified the state of the network to the target? Can you ping
    it sucessfully? If not, then verify the proper tcp/ip components are
    installed.

    If you can't ping it, you might have a routing problem connecting to
    the target board. Verify the network gateway is set up to the board.
    You must tell the pc how to get to the target and the target must know
    the gateway to get to the rest of your network.

    If you think the network is ok, try some of the tcp status functions -
    inetstatshow and tcpstatshow and look for a connection on port 23 - the
    ftp control port. Look for the counters to go up in ipstatshow to go
    up on every packet.

    My guess is you have a routing problem between the pc and the board.

    Good luck
    lc

  3. Re: Problems connecting to VxWorks FTP Server from Win NT(2K)

    LC
    I tried the following:
    1) Pinging - successful from both sides - host (WinNT) and Target
    2) InetstatShow shows tasks listening on port 23
    3) i() shows ftpdTask running
    4) Since my board boots from image resident on the Host, I presume
    routing is not a problem.
    5) I also wrote a crude ftp utility to transfer a file from scratch
    using sockets ( and it works too).

    Hence, I'm still wondering why the following is hapenning -

    1) Command line FTP on Win NT does not connect to the target IP.
    2) Even trying to connect through IE saying ftp:// user@ip-address/
    says error accessing file.

    Should I download another FTP client? Can you suggest one?

    Thanks!

    LarryC wrote:
    > Aivid:
    >
    > Have you verified the state of the network to the target? Can you ping
    > it sucessfully? If not, then verify the proper tcp/ip components are
    > installed.
    >
    > If you can't ping it, you might have a routing problem connecting to
    > the target board. Verify the network gateway is set up to the board.
    > You must tell the pc how to get to the target and the target must know
    > the gateway to get to the rest of your network.
    >
    > If you think the network is ok, try some of the tcp status functions -
    > inetstatshow and tcpstatshow and look for a connection on port 23 - the
    > ftp control port. Look for the counters to go up in ipstatshow to go
    > up on every packet.
    >
    > My guess is you have a routing problem between the pc and the board.
    >
    > Good luck
    > lc

  4. Re: Problems connecting to VxWorks FTP Server from Win NT(2K)

    Hi:

    If you have access to the network, I'd try "ethereal" to sniff the
    packets to see why it is refusing the connection. You'll be able to
    see the reason why it's not working.

    First I'd check your kernel to see if you have "FTP Server Security"
    turned on. If it's on, ftpD will only allow access to authorized
    users. (I belive there is a regular and a secure ftp). You could try
    adding an authorized user from the shell:
    -> loginUserAdd "peter", "RRdRd9Qbyz"
    value = 0 = 0x0
    -> loginUserAdd "robin", "bSzyydqbSb"
    value = 0 = 0x0
    -> loginUserShow

    User Name
    =========
    peter
    robin
    value = 0 = 0x0

    If these don't work, you can try sniffing the ethernet packets from the
    shell using vxSniff.c. It'll log all the ethernet traffic to the
    shell.

    Good luck,
    Lc

+ Reply to Thread