Vme Block Transfers - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Vme Block Transfers - VxWorks ; Hi, I'm quite new to the VME bus way of doing things and would be grateful if someone could adivce me on how to perform a block transfer. I'm using the following hardware CPU : Radstone PPC7A5X - 7457 Slot ...

  1. Vme Block Transfers

    Hi,

    I'm quite new to the VME bus way of doing things and would be grateful
    if someone could adivce me on how to perform a block transfer. I'm
    using the following hardware

    CPU : Radstone PPC7A5X - 7457 Slot 3

    The board uses the Newbridge Universe Vmebus Interface chipset. I have
    looked though the VmeUniverse.h file but couldn't see any interface
    that would provide a block transfer capability.

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: Vme Block Transfers

    For any access to the VMEbus i use the bcopy() functions because they
    are explicit in the type of data access you want (i.e. bcopyWords()
    bcopyLongs() )
    However, i've heard that the bcopy()'s don't use the block transfers on
    the VMEbus, but i've seen it with my own eyes on a VMEbus analyzer that
    transfering an array of data using bcopy() is much faster than
    individual accesses, so maybe it does use block transferes.
    I would also recomend writing you're own VME interface, and have all
    your code use the VME interface instead of using any system calls
    directly, then you could change how everything uses the VMEbus in one
    spot. On occasion I've also put file logging into my VME interface for
    debugging.

+ Reply to Thread