Reg : tsmPollTask - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Reg : tsmPollTask - VxWorks ; Hi, I am working on Board that has got mpc 8250 and mpc 8245. 8245 boots using the shared memory and a PCI bus is configured. When i see the 8245 shell the idle task is "tsmPollTask" and is taking ...

  1. Reg : tsmPollTask

    Hi,

    I am working on Board that has got mpc 8250 and mpc 8245.
    8245 boots using the shared memory and a PCI bus is configured.

    When i see the 8245 shell the idle task is "tsmPollTask" and is
    taking most of the CPU. Can any bosy tell me what this task does and is

    there any way i can change the behaviuor of this task.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Ganesh

  2. Re: Reg : tsmPollTask

    Ganesh,

    One of the ways you can figure out what this task does is to grep in
    your code to find out where this tsmPollTask is coded. (A grep on
    "tsmPollTask" should work fine).

    I don't really know what it does, but I recon, from its name, that it
    polls something for something (like a queue for messages). Polling is
    inefficient, and you might want to change the task from polling to a
    semaphore. That's more efficient. Or maybe implement a callback.

    Just curious - what command do you use to see the CPU consumption? Can
    you post the list of supported commands on this newsgroup? (Just for
    academic interest?).

    Thanks,

    Kapslock

  3. Re: Reg : tsmPollTask

    Ganesh Vasudevan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I am working on Board that has got mpc 8250 and mpc 8245.
    > 8245 boots using the shared memory and a PCI bus is configured.
    >

    > When i see the 8245 shell the idle task is "tsmPollTask" and is
    > taking most of the CPU. Can any bosy tell me what this task does and is
    >
    > there any way i can change the behaviuor of this task.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Ganesh

    Sounds a lot like the vxWorks Shared Memory Backplane network task that
    gets created if you use SM_INT_NONE

    (http://www-sgc.colorado.edu/~dixonc/...de/c-smo4.html)

    You generally want to avoid SM_INT_NONE if at all possible.

    This is generally configured within your BSP.

  4. Re: Reg : tsmPollTask

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how SN_INT_NONE can be changed to
    SM_INT_BUS. What needs to be done so that it can be changed ?

    Thanks in advacne.

    Regards,
    Ganesh

  5. Re: Reg : tsmPollTask

    Ganesh Vasudevan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how SN_INT_NONE can be changed to
    > SM_INT_BUS. What needs to be done so that it can be changed ?
    >
    > Thanks in advacne.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ganesh

    There are sections in the BSP developer guide that talk about this. The
    details really depend on the nature of your hardware.

    It basically comes down to defining a few macros that allow vxWorks to
    know that you want to use something other than polling.

    If this is an "off the shelf" BSP, I'd recommend contacting the BSP
    vendor to find out if they have already created the required macros
    and/or investigated if this can be made to work.

    If you are doing this yourself, you really need to read vxWorks manuals
    (BSP Developer guide and vxWorks Network Programmers Guide) and hardware
    reference manuals. The network programmers guide has a reasonably good
    writeup on the various ways to setup SM networks.

    I am not sure that I can provide anything meaningful in terms of tips
    unless you are closer to a real soltuion and runing into specific issues.

+ Reply to Thread