Target hanging while downloading image - RAM-HIGH_ADRS - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Target hanging while downloading image - RAM-HIGH_ADRS - VxWorks ; Hello all, I am facing a problem with my target, running vxWorks 5.5.1. My target would load and boot up successfully with some vxWorks images, but not with others: the bootrom would hang while downloading the vxWorks image. I have ...

  1. Target hanging while downloading image - RAM-HIGH_ADRS

    Hello all,

    I am facing a problem with my target, running vxWorks 5.5.1. My target
    would load and boot up successfully with some vxWorks images, but not
    with others: the bootrom would hang while downloading the vxWorks
    image.

    I have noticed that teh board can load images that are 2.1M but not
    2.3M. The WindRiver support told me that the system RAM size
    (RAM_HIGH_ADRS - RAM_LOW_ADRS) must be at least 2 times bigger than the
    vxworks image. I then modified RAM_HIGH_ADRS so that the system RAM
    available is now 8M. I burnt a new bootrom, however, I still get the
    same problem: the board hangs while loading larger images.

    Even if the result of teh build tels me that I have 8M available of
    system RAM, I am not sure to check this on the target. If I
    successfully start a small vxWorks image, how can I check how much
    system memory teh target has? This is what I did to increase
    RAM_HIGH_ADRS: I modified the value in the BSP directory, in both
    config.h and the makefile. I then created a new bootrom I then burned
    on my target. I create d an ew project from this BSP then modified
    RAM_HIGH_ADRS in both the makefile and the MACRO (in the GUI).

    Could anyone tell me what I am missing? Or even better, give me a step
    by step tutorial on how to increase RAM_HIGH_ADRS?

    Thank you in advance.
    Jean-Sebastien

  2. Re: Target hanging while downloading image - RAM-HIGH_ADRS

    Jeanseb wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I am facing a problem with my target, running vxWorks 5.5.1. My target
    >would load and boot up successfully with some vxWorks images, but not
    >with others: the bootrom would hang while downloading the vxWorks
    >image.
    >
    >I have noticed that teh board can load images that are 2.1M but not
    >2.3M. The WindRiver support told me that the system RAM size
    >(RAM_HIGH_ADRS - RAM_LOW_ADRS) must be at least 2 times bigger than the
    >vxworks image. I then modified RAM_HIGH_ADRS so that the system RAM
    >available is now 8M. I burnt a new bootrom, however, I still get the
    >same problem: the board hangs while loading larger images.
    >
    >Even if the result of teh build tels me that I have 8M available of
    >system RAM, I am not sure to check this on the target. If I
    >successfully start a small vxWorks image, how can I check how much
    >system memory teh target has? This is what I did to increase
    >RAM_HIGH_ADRS: I modified the value in the BSP directory, in both
    >config.h and the makefile. I then created a new bootrom I then burned
    >on my target. I create d an ew project from this BSP then modified
    >RAM_HIGH_ADRS in both the makefile and the MACRO (in the GUI).
    >
    >Could anyone tell me what I am missing? Or even better, give me a step
    >by step tutorial on how to increase RAM_HIGH_ADRS?

    The RAM_HIGH_ADDRESS parameter is used in a bootable VxWorks image'
    confioguration as well as in the BSP's makefile and config.h. This
    bootable VxWorks image's value of RAM_HIGH_ADDRESS is inhereted from
    the BSP on which a bootable VxWorks image is based but it does not
    get changed automagically in the bootable VxWorks image's project
    when you change this value in the BSP. It may be that you need to
    change this to get things working well. I forget exactly where this
    is configured, but you can find it using the find object dialog as
    described in section 4.4.3 of the Tornado Users Guide.

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: Target hanging while downloading image - RAM-HIGH_ADRS

    Hello,

    any new hints?

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread