Start up script - unable to find script. - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Start up script - unable to find script. - VxWorks ; Hello, I am having hard times trying to execute a start up script. My target boots up and download vxworks from a file server through ethernet. I want to execute a startup script but I cannot get the right path ...

  1. Start up script - unable to find script.

    Hello,

    I am having hard times trying to execute a start up script. My target
    boots
    up and download vxworks from a file server through ethernet. I want to
    execute a startup script but I cannot get the right path to it.

    thanks!

  2. Re: Start up script - unable to find script.

    Jeanseb wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am having hard times trying to execute a start up script. My target
    >boots
    >up and download vxworks from a file server through ethernet. I want to
    >execute a startup script but I cannot get the right path to it.
    >
    >thanks!

    Does your script file exist on that server from which you download your
    VxWorks image or on a target file system?

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: Start up script - unable to find script.

    Hello,

    The script file exist on the host where the vxWorks file is located at.
    Now it seems that vxWorks cannot access this file, based on the
    information stored in the boot parameters.

    In the boot parameters, what is the script path supposed to be? From
    what I have understood, it is the path relative to the root of the ftp
    server were vxWorks was loaded from.

    The startup script is located on the root of the ftp server, in the
    directory /MyTarget/startup.cmd. The vxWorks file is also located in
    this directory. The ftp server executes from a host which is known on
    the network as MyHost.

    I have tried the following paths in the boot parameters:
    MyHost:/MyTarget/startup.cmd
    MyHost:\\MyTarget\\startup.cmd
    /MyTarget/startup.cmd
    \\MyTarget\\startup.cmd

    In case the path to teh script is relative to the vxWorks image, I have
    also tried
    startup.cmd

    The results are always the same: once vxWorks is done booting and the
    shell banner is displayed, a message says that the script file could
    not be opened. On the shell prompt, I can type pwd which tells me that
    the current directory is MyHost: and I can change the current directory
    to MyTarget (where the script is located).

    Thanks,
    Jean-Sebastien

  4. Re: Start up script - unable to find script.

    Jeanseb wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >The script file exist on the host where the vxWorks file is located at.
    >Now it seems that vxWorks cannot access this file, based on the
    >information stored in the boot parameters.
    >
    >In the boot parameters, what is the script path supposed to be? From
    >what I have understood, it is the path relative to the root of the ftp
    >server were vxWorks was loaded from.
    >
    >The startup script is located on the root of the ftp server, in the
    >directory /MyTarget/startup.cmd. The vxWorks file is also located in
    >this directory. The ftp server executes from a host which is known on
    >the network as MyHost.
    >
    >I have tried the following paths in the boot parameters:
    >MyHost:/MyTarget/startup.cmd
    >MyHost:\\MyTarget\\startup.cmd
    >/MyTarget/startup.cmd
    >\\MyTarget\\startup.cmd
    >
    >In case the path to teh script is relative to the vxWorks image, I have
    >also tried
    >startup.cmd
    >
    >The results are always the same: once vxWorks is done booting and the
    >shell banner is displayed, a message says that the script file could
    >not be opened. On the shell prompt, I can type pwd which tells me that
    >the current directory is MyHost: and I can change the current directory
    >to MyTarget (where the script is located).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jean-Sebastien

    By default, the target knows the device from which it booted as "host:".
    This is true regardless of its name on your LAN. You can see this by
    typing the "devs" command at your target's shell prompt ("->"). The
    "devs" command displays a list of all devices known to the I/O system.

    The root directory of the boot device known as "host:" is directory
    configured as the FTP server's "Home directory".

    So, if your target is using the default drive name of "host:", the FTP
    server on the host named "MyHost" is configured to use the path
    "/MyTarget" as its home directory, and the script you wish to run exists
    on "MyHost" as "/MyTarget/startup.cmd", the boot parameter path to the
    script is "host:/startup.cmd".

    You probably had a strong hint about this under your nose in the form of
    the boot parameter's "file name" field. Given that the boot file is
    named "vxWorks" and exists on "MyHost" as "/MyTarget/vxWorks", the
    "file name" field It is likely to be something like "host:/vxWorks" for
    all the same reasons as the startup script's name as described above.

    | two, one and one make one."

  5. Re: Start up script - unable to find script.

    Try loading the script manually from the terminal after boot, i.e.
    Maybe you have a permission problem under windows.

  6. Re: Start up script - unable to find script.

    Hello,
    I actually fixed the problem, which was due to a mising component in
    the VxWorks image.

    Thanks for your help,
    Jean-Sebastien

  7. Re: Start up script - unable to find script.

    Jeanseb wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I actually fixed the problem, which was due to a mising component in
    >the VxWorks image.

    That's great!

    One of the values of this forum is the archive provided by Google
    (previously by DejaNews). Explicitely stating your solution goes
    a long way toward maximizing that value for those who may experience
    a similar problem in the future.

    So:

    Which VxWorks image component was missing?

    What was the path to your script that worked for you?

    >Thanks for your help,

    You're welcome.