vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type - VxWorks

This is a discussion on vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type - VxWorks ; I have 20 Evans & Sutherland 4530 Image Generators that use the Motorola MVME167 as the their front end controller. The OS is booted from SCSI disk and is vxWorks 5.1.1 I have no documentation on vxWorks, as these Image ...

  1. vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type

    I have 20 Evans & Sutherland 4530 Image Generators that use the Motorola
    MVME167 as the their front end controller. The OS is booted from SCSI disk
    and is vxWorks 5.1.1

    I have no documentation on vxWorks, as these Image Generators were
    provided via 3rd party.

    My question is, what type of filesystem is the vxWorks utilizing? Is
    there anyway to mount this via a known filesystem type? I have tried Jens
    Langner's vxext kernel module in Linux without success.

    Any insight or ideas would be appreciated.

    -chuck

  2. Re: vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type

    Hi,

    I got rid of my old 5.1.1 manuals years ago but I say that your 167 is
    running a dos filesystem (dosFs). (It could be running rt11Fs but this
    is unlikely). If you type "devs" from the shell you should see the
    device. Then you can use dosFsConfigShow "" to see the details
    of the disk.

    To answer your second question, this depends on how VxWorks was built,
    and if you can rebuild the OS. Your options are RSH, FTP or NFS. Each
    would need to be configured into the OS to use. Try lkup "ftp" or
    lkup"nfs" to see if you have anything configured in the OS.

    Contact me direct if you need any more help.

    kind regards

    Ed Liversidge
    Harmonic Software Systems
    www.harmonicss.co.uk

  3. Re: vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type

    Hello Chuck,

    E&S has made mods to the OS supplied with their IG's, so rebuilding the
    OS is probably not an option.

    They use nfs and have ftp built in.

    Are you trying to mount the IG's disk on another system?

    Doug

    csg wrote:
    > I have 20 Evans & Sutherland 4530 Image Generators that use the Motorola
    > MVME167 as the their front end controller. The OS is booted from SCSI disk
    > and is vxWorks 5.1.1
    >
    > I have no documentation on vxWorks, as these Image Generators were
    > provided via 3rd party.
    >
    > My question is, what type of filesystem is the vxWorks utilizing? Is
    > there anyway to mount this via a known filesystem type? I have tried Jens
    > Langner's vxext kernel module in Linux without success.
    >
    > Any insight or ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > -chuck

  4. Re: vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:22:34 -0800, Ed wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I got rid of my old 5.1.1 manuals years ago but I say that your 167 is
    > running a dos filesystem (dosFs). (It could be running rt11Fs but this
    > is unlikely). If you type "devs" from the shell you should see the
    > device. Then you can use dosFsConfigShow "" to see the details
    > of the disk.
    >
    > To answer your second question, this depends on how VxWorks was built,
    > and if you can rebuild the OS. Your options are RSH, FTP or NFS. Each
    > would need to be configured into the OS to use. Try lkup "ftp" or
    > lkup"nfs" to see if you have anything configured in the OS.
    >
    > Contact me direct if you need any more help.
    >
    > kind regards
    >
    > Ed Liversidge
    > Harmonic Software Systems
    > www.harmonicss.co.uk

    Ed,

    Thanks for the quick reply to my post.

    My primary SCSI disk is referred
    to as /sd1 in the device table. Issuing the command "dosFsConfigShow
    /sd1" yields the error message "Not a dosFs device". Does this mean the
    filesystem type is rt11Fs?

    Yes, I do have the network services that you mentioned in your reply and
    I use these all the time. The problem is disk writes via the network
    take a very long time. I'm pretty sure this is a result of the 167's
    narrow SCSI support.

    I was hoping that maybe I could connect this vxWorks hard disk to a
    Linux/Unix system and mount it in some fashion.

    -Chuck

  5. Re: vxWorks (for Motorola MVME167) version 5.1.1 - Filesystem type

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:03:08 -0800, doug65 wrote:

    > Hello Chuck,
    >
    > E&S has made mods to the OS supplied with their IG's, so rebuilding the
    > OS is probably not an option.
    >
    > They use nfs and have ftp built in.
    >
    > Are you trying to mount the IG's disk on another system?
    >
    > Doug

    Doug,

    Yes, you are correct about the NFS & FTP. I use these quite a bit for
    remote admin/file transfer, but they are painfully slow when trying to
    write data. I actually think the 8 bit SCSI disk sub-system is the
    bottleneck in this case.

    I was hoping there was some way to mount these disks via Linux, or some
    other modern operating system that would allow better write performance in
    a native mode of operation. I currently make duplicate disks on my Linux
    server using the Unix "dd" command, but this is a raw image copy.

    Thanks for your time on this.

    -Chuck

+ Reply to Thread