Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5? - VxWorks ; Hi, Has anybody done a comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5? I am well versed with VxWorks and enjoy the new Eclipse IDE (VxWorks 6). However, my goal is to find a COTS RTOS that is cost ...

  1. Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5?

    Hi,

    Has anybody done a comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and
    INTEGRITY 5?
    I am well versed with VxWorks and enjoy the new Eclipse IDE (VxWorks
    6). However, my goal is to find a COTS RTOS that is cost effective and
    certifiable to RTCA/DO178B level D. All the latter mentioned RTOSes
    support space partitioning, which is a prerequisite for running
    multiple criticality levels on the same processor. This application is
    for the aerospace industry.

    SwGuy

  2. Re: Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5?

    Hi SwGuy,
    There is a product from Windriver its called ARINC653.I think that is
    DO178B level D certified and that will suit your requirement.ARINC653
    supports Space partioning.

    Regards
    Vij

  3. Re: Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5?

    Hi Vij,
    Thanks for the information. I did look at VxWorks CERT (AE version)
    utilizing the ARINC653 scheduler. However, using a level-A certified
    kernel is very costly for level-D certification. It is possible to
    certify a product using a COTS RTOS (like VxWOrks6 for example) to
    level D. Any higher level (e.g. level-C) would justify using a 178
    kernel (VxWorks CERT) instead of a COTS kernel.

    Regards
    SwGuy

  4. Re: Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5?

    Hi SwGuy,
    I really have a very vague idea about these certifications and their
    respective costs.As far as i know Windriver has a product called
    "Platform for Safety Critical Applications" which says it is DO178B
    certified and uses ARINC653 spatial partion scheduler. Can u just tell
    me or tell the group what is this all about.

    Regards
    Vij

  5. Re: Comparison between VxWorks 6, LynxOS 4.0 and INTEGRITY 5?

    RTCA DO-178B software certification is governed by the FAA. They
    distinguish five criticality levels (A....E) of which A is highest. It
    is categorized with relation to "loss of life". Obviously level-A
    is the most difficult to obtain.

    The certification issues are very complex. A company requires a DER
    (Designed Engineering Representative) to submit software for
    certification with the FAA. See www.highrely.com for more information.

    My problem is slightly more complex since level D&E don't really
    require a certified kernel. Windriver has the CERT version, also
    referred to as "Platform for Safety Critical Applications". The
    ARINC653 scheduler is based upon a round-robin time slicer to provide
    determinism to processor resource allocation. Thus, different
    patricians (typically at different criticality levels) will get x
    amount of time to run (this is irrespective of a priority based
    pre-emption scheduler within partitions). Most COTS RTOSes do not
    support the ARINC scheduler since its more complex and a drain on
    resources.

    Check highrely....

+ Reply to Thread