creating bootrom.sys file - VxWorks

This is a discussion on creating bootrom.sys file - VxWorks ; Hi All, The target is a pc486 and its RAM is 256MB. My bootable vxworks include the application project. A bootable vxworks image is created ,with a main function of the application project which is referenced in usrAppInit.c. I am ...

  1. creating bootrom.sys file

    Hi All,

    The target is a pc486 and its RAM is 256MB.

    My bootable vxworks include the application project.
    A bootable vxworks image is created ,with a main function of the
    application project which is referenced in usrAppInit.c.

    I am booting the target pc with "vxworks & vxworks.sym " created using
    tornado 2.0 & saved in the hard drive, which also contains bootrom.sys
    file.

    Q. how to create bootrom.sys file for the above bsp?
    Q. will the bootrom.sys file will be same ,bootable vxworks application
    project ?

    any help.....

    thanks in advance
    bunty

  2. Re: creating bootrom.sys file

    in tornado 2.0, the 'build' menu has an option to create the bootrom
    image. Once you have the bootrom image created, you have to use the
    'vxcopy' utility which is in the host/x86-win32/bin directory to strip
    header info off of it and turn it into a sys file. you may also have to
    use vxsys utility to put the boot sector on your hard drive for this to
    work... and formatting the drive has to be done with MSDOS rather than
    windows if you need to format yourself.

    no the bootrom.sys file is different from the vxworks image used for your
    program. While it is theoretically possible to do with only one file...
    the msdos limitation of 640K for bootrom.sys is going to make that
    difficult to meet without writing your own custom loaders for the protected
    mode image. It isn't worth the hassle just to combine it all into one
    file...

    btw you may or may not realize that the hook in userAppInit.c is called
    before the kernel finishes initializing. usrAppInit should spawn a task
    with a high-numbered priority to run after the kernel is done initting,
    which then spawns one or more program tasks when it is finally scheduled.
    If you don't do it this way you can get into trouble with things not being
    initialized before you start using them.

    David

    Bunty wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > The target is a pc486 and its RAM is 256MB.
    >
    > My bootable vxworks include the application project.
    > A bootable vxworks image is created ,with a main function of the
    > application project which is referenced in usrAppInit.c.
    >
    > I am booting the target pc with "vxworks & vxworks.sym " created using
    > tornado 2.0 & saved in the hard drive, which also contains bootrom.sys
    > file.
    >
    > Q. how to create bootrom.sys file for the above bsp?
    > Q. will the bootrom.sys file will be same ,bootable vxworks application
    > project ?
    >
    > any help.....
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > bunty

  3. Re: creating bootrom.sys file

    My application project is based on the Pc486 bsp.

    As you mentioned the 'build' menu has an option to create the bootrom
    image but that will be for the pc 486.

    my doubt is how to create bootrom.sys file for my bootable appliction
    project that is based on
    pc 486 bsp.

    i mean how to buid my own custom loader

    bunty

  4. Re: creating bootrom.sys file

    Bunty wrote:

    > My application project is based on the Pc486 bsp.
    >
    > As you mentioned the 'build' menu has an option to create the bootrom
    > image but that will be for the pc 486.
    >
    > my doubt is how to create bootrom.sys file for my bootable appliction
    > project that is based on
    > pc 486 bsp.
    >
    > i mean how to buid my own custom loader

    oh sorry... I didn't get your meaning. For the most part the
    bootrom.sys is built from the same BSP that the vxworks image is built
    from. But there is one file in \tornado\target\config (assuming you have
    installed to \tornado) that performs most of the loader functions for the
    bootrom. It is called bootconfig.c or something of that nature... you
    can edit it and add your own functionality, then build the new bootrom
    from the IDE.
    Depending on what you add you may also have to edit the config.h in the
    BSP directory to add or remove core OS functions. Just remember that the
    whole bootrom image must be less than 640K when you are done... Sorry I
    don't know the exact filename, I'm answering from home and am not too
    sure on the actual name...

    David

+ Reply to Thread