WindML clarification - VxWorks

This is a discussion on WindML clarification - VxWorks ; Hi EveryOne, I need some clarifications on WindML. I know that WindML supports Unicode characters, what I want to know is how many scripts(languages) are supported by WindML itself(When u buy from WRS). If I want to support hebrew, where ...

  1. WindML clarification

    Hi EveryOne,
    I need some clarifications on WindML. I know that
    WindML supports Unicode characters, what I want to know is how many
    scripts(languages) are supported by WindML itself(When u buy from WRS).
    If I want to support hebrew, where will I get the bitmaps corresponding
    to hebrew? Can I get it from WRS or from other third parties?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dhar.

  2. Re: WindML clarification

    On 2 Jan 2006, reddy.vamsidhar@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi EveryOne, I need some clarifications on WindML. I know that
    > WindML supports Unicode characters, what I want to know is how many
    > scripts(languages) are supported by WindML itself(When u buy from
    > WRS). If I want to support hebrew, where will I get the bitmaps
    > corresponding to hebrew? Can I get it from WRS or from other third
    > parties?

    I think that the WRS installs come with some Glyphs that have hebrew
    characters. I think that Hebrew is only an alphabet like cyrillic and
    western european (unlike Kanji, or compositionals like Tai). Some
    languages are very complicated and can not use bitmaped fonts easily.

    Actually, some versions of WindML come with vector engines. These
    should support compostion. I think that is the Agfa engine. They
    should have Hebrew characters. The vector fonts are really expensive
    CPU wise (although glphys should be cached by WindML).

    You can also download the BFD (?) fonts used by Open BSD or something.
    There are BSD licensed fonts somewhere on the web. You will have to
    search. Commercial fonts are not difficult to find...

    "http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_windows.html#hebrew"
    "http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=EzraSIL_Home"
    .... etc ...

    I think Hebrew is displayed in a different manner than English (both
    left->right and right->left)? The font engine might display the
    glyph, but higher level "locale" type functionality should change
    things like this. You may have trouble with some esoteric (read not
    like western european) languages. Maybe there is different accepted
    uses for embedded devices? Germans are quite forgiving to let
    machines hyphenate things on small displays [even though they probably
    would prefer not to see this]. I don't know what would be acceptable
    for your market.

    hth,
    Bill Pringlemeir.

    --
    ``C Code. C code run. Run, code, run... PLEASE!!!'' - Barbara Tongue
    vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html"

  3. Re: WindML clarification

    Hello Bill, Thanks for ur detailed answer.

    And if u dont mind, one more question..
    I have gone through WindML SDK documents, there are function like
    "uglFontFind( )" where u can search for the font and use it. I want to
    know if all these fonts are related to only English language or not,
    i.e if i use font engines like Agfa, can i find these extra fonts also
    in the "uglFontFind()" .

  4. Re: WindML clarification

    Hello Bill, Thanks for ur detailed answer.

    And if u dont mind, one more question..
    I have gone through WindML SDK documents, there are function like
    "uglFontFind( )" where u can search for the font and use it. I want to
    know if all these fonts are related to only English language or not,
    i.e if i use font engines like Agfa, can i find these extra fonts also
    in the "uglFontFind()" .

  5. Re: WindML clarification

    On 3 Jan 2006, reddy.vamsidhar@gmail.com wrote:

    > And if u dont mind, one more question.. I have gone through WindML
    > SDK documents, there are function like "uglFontFind( )" where u can
    > search for the font and use it. I want to know if all these fonts
    > are related to only English language or not, i.e if i use font
    > engines like Agfa, can i find these extra fonts also in the
    > "uglFontFind()" .

    You have to link specific fonts to your BSP. Your font might be
    "Courier-Bold-12-asian". The fonts are installed by the UGL
    initialization (and the font engine). The "uglFontFind()" allows code
    to be written that doesn't depend on the font being linked.

    If you start to use a font and glyphs that aren't present, then square
    boxes are output.

    I don't think that WindML support printing. If you have a thermal
    printer, you need to know more about these fonts. In this case, the
    bitmap fonts are probably better.

    I think you would need a 300MHz+ processor to run the vector fonts
    (perhaps the performance is better since I have used it) . An 8Mhz+
    CPU would be fine with the bitmap engine (if you have a bitmap driver
    for your display). There is a generic putpixel/getpixel WindML
    driver. It will be pathetically slow. Make sure that your display is
    supported (or schedule time to write a driver). An 8 bit display will
    be fastest on most processors. A 32-bit display might be even faster;
    using four times more memory. There is a large gain from an 8 bit
    display as a write operation is not read-mask-write as with 4,2,1 bit
    displays.

    hth,
    Bill Pringlemeir.

    --
    Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday
    night. - Woody Allen

    vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html"

+ Reply to Thread