Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server - VxWorks ; Hello friends, I have faced the following scenario recently: A WindManage project containing a Command Line Interface (CLI) application was merged into a Tornado workspace. The target board was given an IP address. I was able to telnet into the ...

  1. Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server

    Hello friends,

    I have faced the following scenario recently:

    A WindManage project containing a Command Line Interface (CLI)
    application was merged into a Tornado workspace. The target board was
    given an IP address. I was able to telnet into the target board and
    execute commands.

    If the Tornado target server is terminated, the telnet window slowly
    freezes, is slower and then the 'connection to host lost' message is
    displayed.

    This happens in both the situations of using downloadable and bootable
    images.

    My question is this: What sort of a relationship is expected between
    the telnet window and a Tornado target server? Why should the telnet
    window have a dependency on the target server?

    Thanks in advance,
    George

  2. Re: Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server

    Make sure that you have the target shell (INCLUDE_SHELL) configured
    into your build. I don't use the VxWorks telnet server, but I'm
    guessing that it still requires a shell to run. WDB provides one, I
    think. When you disable your target server, it may delete its shell
    task. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

    Geo wrote:
    > Hello friends,
    >
    > I have faced the following scenario recently:
    >
    > A WindManage project containing a Command Line Interface (CLI)
    > application was merged into a Tornado workspace. The target board was
    > given an IP address. I was able to telnet into the target board and
    > execute commands.
    >
    > If the Tornado target server is terminated, the telnet window slowly
    > freezes, is slower and then the 'connection to host lost' message is
    > displayed.
    >
    > This happens in both the situations of using downloadable and bootable
    > images.
    >
    > My question is this: What sort of a relationship is expected between
    > the telnet window and a Tornado target server? Why should the telnet
    > window have a dependency on the target server?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > George

  3. Re: Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server

    Hi there...
    Thanks for your response.

    The image included the shell when it was built. I had actually tried to
    remove the shell and then check the condition; it displayed the same
    symptoms.

    I feel that the shell doesn't impact the telnet server.

    Regards,
    Geo

  4. Re: Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server

    Could it be a task priority problem? By default, tShell runs at the
    highest priority possible, so that should eliminate it getting starved.
    Is it possible that it got set to run at a lower priority than another
    one of the active tasks?

  5. Re: Dependency of telnet window on Tornado target server

    The tShell task runs at priority 1 while the tasks tExcTask, tLogTask
    and tNbioLog run at priority 0 (highest).

    However, I have narrowed down the scale of the issue.
    In my setup that contains both ethernet and wireless LAN drivers, when
    the bridge is disabled in the case of the wireless LAN driver, there is
    no freezing and subsequent logout in the telnet window. A learning
    bridge is enabled for the ethernet driver.

    So, the obvious question is, what relationship exists between the
    bridge and the target server?

+ Reply to Thread