Undefined references to networking libraries when compiling bootable images - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Undefined references to networking libraries when compiling bootable images - VxWorks ; Using Tornado 2.2.1, no matter what BSP is selected as the base for a bootable VxWorks image project, the compilation fails with a large number of undefined reference errors. They are all referring to networking library functions: endFindByName, checkInetAddrField, muxDevLoad, ...

  1. Undefined references to networking libraries when compiling bootable images

    Using Tornado 2.2.1, no matter what BSP is selected as the base for a
    bootable VxWorks image project, the compilation fails with a large
    number of undefined reference errors. They are all referring to
    networking library functions: endFindByName, checkInetAddrField,
    muxDevLoad, etc.

    I am very new to VxWorks, so this may be new-guy ignorance, but does
    anyone know of anything special that has to be done to include
    networking support in a bootable image? The AutoScale feature doesn't
    show any problems with the components that are selected. I did not
    modify the default configuration generated by Tornado anyway.
    Browsing through the target header files shows the declaration of all
    these functions, so do I need to specify to include the libraries
    separately or something?

    I'd appreciate any tips/hints/etc. in this area. Hopefully, I can
    return the favor by participating in this group as our project goes
    farther into the world of VxWorks.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. Re: Undefined references to networking libraries when compiling bootable images

    Check if the Vxworks network components are included in your Tornado
    project.
    In your Tornado project, go to the "VxWorks" tab (you have three tabs:
    Files, VxWorks and Builds) and you should be able to see a list of
    configuration components for VxWorks. Make sure the "network
    components" is indeed included. Actually you can configure it according
    to your purpose.
    mrjones69@gmail.com wrote:
    > Using Tornado 2.2.1, no matter what BSP is selected as the base for a
    > bootable VxWorks image project, the compilation fails with a large
    > number of undefined reference errors. They are all referring to
    > networking library functions: endFindByName, checkInetAddrField,
    > muxDevLoad, etc.
    >
    > I am very new to VxWorks, so this may be new-guy ignorance, but does
    > anyone know of anything special that has to be done to include
    > networking support in a bootable image? The AutoScale feature doesn't
    > show any problems with the components that are selected. I did not
    > modify the default configuration generated by Tornado anyway.
    > Browsing through the target header files shows the declaration of all
    > these functions, so do I need to specify to include the libraries
    > separately or something?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any tips/hints/etc. in this area. Hopefully, I can
    > return the favor by participating in this group as our project goes
    > farther into the world of VxWorks.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

  3. Re: Undefined references to networking libraries when compiling bootable images

    Good advice, thank you. They were not included, neither was a lot of
    other stuff. Then when I tried to include them, I got all manner of
    errors about components not being installed, etc. Worked with WindRiver
    tech support and they couldn't tell me anything. So I went back to
    basics. Uninstalled the whole mess and started over one installable
    item at a time. Worked like a charm once I did not load some Platform
    CD and a bunch of other unnecessary BSPs, etc. It seems that you can
    install "too much" and it can modify the basics such that they become
    uncompilable.

+ Reply to Thread