VxWorks to custom board - VxWorks

This is a discussion on VxWorks to custom board - VxWorks ; Hello Group, I am an experienced(10+ yrs) embedded world programmer. I typically bring up and write BSPs for custom PowerPC VME boards. So I am very familiar with the Motorola processors, MPC106 and Marvell bridges, and Universe II. Until now, ...

  1. VxWorks to custom board

    Hello Group,

    I am an experienced(10+ yrs) embedded world programmer. I typically
    bring up and write BSPs for custom PowerPC VME boards. So I am very
    familiar with the Motorola processors, MPC106 and Marvell bridges, and
    Universe II.

    Until now, the customer did not permit COTS software on their product,
    so I have never placed an RTOS on one of these cards. I have written
    applications that run under LynxOS, so I understand how an RTOS works.

    I have a card with a MPC7447a, MV6446x bridge and a Universe II among
    the other little thinks.

    In hours, what would you estimate it would take an experienced embedded
    programmer, with little knowledge of VxWorks specifics, to put VxWorks
    on a card like this? How long does it take you?

  2. Re: VxWorks to custom board

    Sorry if this sounds discouraging but, assuming everything goes
    perfectly all right it should take atleast a couple of days - but less
    than a week - given your practical knowledge of BSPs et al. Now,
    assuming you work 10 hours a day ....

  3. Re: VxWorks to custom board

    Less than a week sounds very optimistic. Are you suggesting that in
    less than I week I could be communicating thru VxWorks to the VMEbus
    and over Ethernet? I was thinking on the order of 3-4, 40 hour weeks.
    Its gotta take at least about day to get the development environment
    installed/set up and myself comforatble with it no? This will be flash
    based, no disk.

    Maybe you are a salesman for them...

    Vcc Ground wrote:
    > Sorry if this sounds discouraging but, assuming everything goes
    > perfectly all right it should take atleast a couple of days - but less
    > than a week - given your practical knowledge of BSPs et al. Now,
    > assuming you work 10 hours a day ....

+ Reply to Thread