Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message! - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message! - VxWorks ; I have run vxworks on a switch platform. but the system is not stable. It would runs to dead about twice in a day(sometimes runs good for 2-3 days). the console is dead also. I can't input and get output ...

  1. Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    I have run vxworks on a switch platform. but the system is not stable.
    It would runs to dead about twice in a day(sometimes runs good for 2-3
    days). the console is dead also. I can't input and get output message.
    It seems the CPU or VxWorks has dead. the switch interface can still
    working(It can works without CPU). There isn't any exception message or
    any other message in console(The console task's pri is 15). The system
    isn't be rebooted also. Who can tell me the possable reason that lead
    the system to death without exception message and can avoid vxworks
    protect mechanism to autoreboot. Thanks!

  2. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    Some Information Add:
    VxWorks 5.5
    Tornado 2.2
    CPU:PPC8245
    switch:BCM5665

  3. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    Some Information Add(2):
    There is another hardware platform runs the same software. CPU is
    different(PPC8241), It seems more stable. that system never runs to
    dead by now.

  4. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    odinzee@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have run vxworks on a switch platform. but the system is not stable.
    > It would runs to dead about twice in a day(sometimes runs good for 2-3
    > days). the console is dead also. I can't input and get output message.
    > It seems the CPU or VxWorks has dead. the switch interface can still
    > working(It can works without CPU). There isn't any exception message or
    > any other message in console(The console task's pri is 15). The system
    > isn't be rebooted also. Who can tell me the possable reason that lead
    > the system to death without exception message and can avoid vxworks
    > protect mechanism to autoreboot. Thanks!

    This is probably caused by a high-priority task or interrupt taking up
    all the processor time. Because of this no other task (including the
    shell) is getting any processing time. You could try setting the console
    to the highest priority and see if this makes any difference.
    One way to find the reason for this is using WindView in post-mortem
    mode. This way you can see which processes took up al the time before
    you restarted your target (assuming you have a reset switch on your target).

    Kind regards,
    Johan

    --
    o o o o o o o . . . _____J_o_h_a_n___B_o_r_k_h_u_i_s___
    o _____ || http://www.borkhuis.com |
    >(________|__|_[_________]_|________________________________|

    _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`
    == VxWorks FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html ==

  5. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    Thank you very much for your answer! Your advice is the bright moon in
    the dark night for me!
    I have adjust the priority of console task to 0, to see if this maks
    any difference.
    I still have 2 questions:
    1. If it is caused by interrupt taking up all the processor time,
    whether the vxworks will be

    autoreboot for work queue panic? I have ever seem this kind of error
    before. A very high

    frequency interrupt caused work queue panic, and the system is reboot
    automatic by vxworks

    immediately. But this system is silence dead without autoreboot. I
    don't know what

    relationship between work queue penic error and high frequency
    interrupt.
    2. If you want to catch a BUG, you must find it before. But I still no
    idea to control when

    the system will die. Maybe It will runs good for many days, but dead
    silence immediately. Do

    you have any suggest or experience? Thanks!
    Here is my high pri task:
    -> i

    NAME ENTRY TID PRI STATUS PC SP
    ERRNO DELAY
    ---------- ------------ -------- --- ---------- -------- --------
    ------- -----
    tExcTask excTask 3dfec80 0 PEND 446500 3dfeb60
    0 0
    tLogTask logTask 3dfc298 0 PEND 446500 3dfc188
    0 0
    CON vty_console_ 1bc9eb8 0 PEND 2b86b4 1bc9c68
    30065 0
    sysMon sysMonMain 1bb1d88 0 DELAY 2bd1e4 1bb17e8
    0 16
    zlogTask zlog_task_ma 1c14150 1 PEND 446500 1c13fd0
    0 0
    tShell shell 1b7f608 1 READY 2bd898 1b7e588
    0 0
    Timer 10ce6c 3700fa8 5 DELAY 2bd1e4 3700f08
    0 53

  6. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

[...]

  7. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    odinzee@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thank you very much for your answer! Your advice is the bright moon
    > in the dark night for me! I have adjust the priority of console task
    > to 0, to see if this maks any difference. I still have 2 questions:
    >
    > 1. If it is caused by interrupt taking up all the processor time,
    > whether the vxworks will be autoreboot for work queue panic? I have
    > ever seem this kind of error before. A very high frequency interrupt
    > caused work queue panic, and the system is reboot automatic by
    > vxworks immediately. But this system is silence dead without
    > autoreboot. I don't know what relationship between work queue penic
    > error and high frequency interrupt.

    I don't think so. The work queue panic is created by the network
    interrupt handler/nettask, and I don't know think this is causing
    problems here.

    > 2. If you want to catch a BUG, you must find it before. But I still
    > no idea to control when the system will die. Maybe It will runs good
    > for many days, but dead silence immediately. Do you have any suggest
    > or experience?

    Take a look at WindView. You can leave it running until the SW
    stops/crashes. After the system is restarted you will be able to
    download the post-mortem logfile and examine it to see what happened
    before the crash.

    Kind regards,
    Johan

    --
    o o o o o o o . . . _____J_o_h_a_n___B_o_r_k_h_u_i_s___
    o _____ || http://www.borkhuis.com |

    _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`
    == VxWorks FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html ==

  8. Re: Help! My VxWorks runs to dead without any message!

    Thank you very much. I'm trying.

+ Reply to Thread