Long Ping Delay - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Long Ping Delay - VxWorks ; We have had a problem on our plant network (not sure what that was) and since then multiple VxWorks controls network response is very slow. If I ping a VxWorks control from my computer, the response will for a few, ...

  1. Long Ping Delay

    We have had a problem on our plant network (not sure what that was) and
    since then multiple VxWorks controls network response is very slow.
    If I ping a VxWorks control from my computer, the response will < 10 ms
    for a few, then it will take 5 - 15 seconds for a few pings.
    I am not sure what could have caused this state.

    I looked at the end driver pool and there was not any problems.

    What else can I look for??

  2. Re: Long Ping Delay

    ~Pete wrote:
    > We have had a problem on our plant network (not sure what that was) and
    > since then multiple VxWorks controls network response is very slow.
    > If I ping a VxWorks control from my computer, the response will < 10 ms
    > for a few, then it will take 5 - 15 seconds for a few pings.
    > I am not sure what could have caused this state.
    >
    > I looked at the end driver pool and there was not any problems.
    >
    > What else can I look for??

    First look at the ethernet. Check the frames that are exchanged (using
    Ethereal for example).

    One problem I saw one time was that the interrupt processing was not
    correct. So for some reason the ping frame remained in the ethernet
    chip, and only when the next frame arrived it was processed.

    Kind regards,
    Johan

    --
    o o o o o o o . . . _____J_o_h_a_n___B_o_r_k_h_u_i_s___
    o _____ || http://www.borkhuis.com |
    >(________|__|_[_________]_|________________________________|

    _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`
    == VxWorks FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html ==

  3. Re: Long Ping Delay

    I attached to the mux to display all recieved and transmitted messages.

    The VxWorks device recieves the ping and replies. The packet is just
    not getting sent.

    Johan Borkhuis wrote:
    > ~Pete wrote:
    > > We have had a problem on our plant network (not sure what that was) and
    > > since then multiple VxWorks controls network response is very slow.
    > > If I ping a VxWorks control from my computer, the response will < 10 ms
    > > for a few, then it will take 5 - 15 seconds for a few pings.
    > > I am not sure what could have caused this state.
    > >
    > > I looked at the end driver pool and there was not any problems.
    > >
    > > What else can I look for??

    > First look at the ethernet. Check the frames that are exchanged (using
    > Ethereal for example).
    >
    > One problem I saw one time was that the interrupt processing was not
    > correct. So for some reason the ping frame remained in the ethernet
    > chip, and only when the next frame arrived it was processed.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Johan
    >
    > --
    > o o o o o o o . . . _____J_o_h_a_n___B_o_r_k_h_u_i_s___