Help with WindRiver bootloader - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Help with WindRiver bootloader - VxWorks ; Hi people, I want port Linux to a WebTV device, this is DSN-500 developed by Daewoo and use software from Marusys, other korean company. I load the bootload from this EPROM, then I see WindRiver copyright and version 5.3.1. I ...

  1. Help with WindRiver bootloader

    Hi people,
    I want port Linux to a WebTV device, this is DSN-500 developed by
    Daewoo and use software from Marusys, other korean company.

    I load the bootload from this EPROM, then I see WindRiver copyright and
    version 5.3.1.

    I don't know anything about this bootloader, but I need understand more
    about it to create a firmware file with Linux kernel image.

    I place the bootloader at:
    http://professores.unilestemg.br/~lt...bootloader.bin

    Somebody know what is this bootloader? Where can I get more info about
    it?
    I tryed contact WindRiver, but they don't help me, I think they only
    want money :-)

    Thank you,

    Att.

    Alan

  2. Re: Help with WindRiver bootloader

    Hi Alan:

    I don't know if there is much hope. The file they are using could be a
    bootloader, or it could be a bootloaded and the actual application
    vxworks image and application linked in with it. If you have access to
    the shell, see if you can interrupt the boot at powerup. If you get a
    prompt like a ":",, type "p" to see the boot params (or they might get
    printed) by the bootloader.

    You'd have to be able to change there params to change the image to
    boot, assuming it's not in EPROM or flash. For your scheme to work,
    the boot image would have to be in on disk or a flash file system. The
    "file name:" parameter would show you this.

    Should you be able to identify the actual boot file in a file system,
    it should be an non-relocatable ELF format with the load address
    specified in the ELF header. If the image in in flash or EPROM, ot
    could be binary to run in place or even compressed to be unpacked into
    RAM and run.

    Good luck,
    LC

    alancarbr@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi people,
    > I want port Linux to a WebTV device, this is DSN-500 developed by
    > Daewoo and use software from Marusys, other korean company.
    >
    > I load the bootload from this EPROM, then I see WindRiver copyright and
    > version 5.3.1.
    >
    > I don't know anything about this bootloader, but I need understand more
    > about it to create a firmware file with Linux kernel image.
    >
    > I place the bootloader at:
    > http://professores.unilestemg.br/~lt...bootloader.bin
    >
    > Somebody know what is this bootloader? Where can I get more info about
    > it?
    > I tryed contact WindRiver, but they don't help me, I think they only
    > want money :-)
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Att.
    >
    > Alan

  3. Re: Help with WindRiver bootloader

    Hi LarryC,
    really the bootloader have an application together, it have graphic
    mode application.

    When I power-on the Easybox it appear a progress bar on graphic mode
    showing the progress of the copy from Flash to RAM. If I power-on it
    and press the backside push button to progress bar don't appear, but
    the bootloader start the Emergency mode.

    In this mode I can do the firmware upgrade, downloading the firmware
    file from a web server. The Easybox have an ISA slot. I replaced the
    Conexant 56K modem shipped with it by a NIC RTL8019AS, the bootloader
    configure it and use it to download the firmware from web server.

    I tryed run the bootloader.bin in skyeye, it started fine, but it don't
    working correctly with the virtual network (tun/tap). If I obtain it
    working I can connect to web server and do it write the firmware to
    skyeye's file used as flash, then skyeye will can start the OS at next
    time.

    I have 8 different firmware files that I am using to try understand the
    firmware's format. I found the word "VxWorks login:" in all them,
    please someone who know about VxWork look this files where:

    http://professores.unilestemg.br/~ltr/easybox/

    I want know if there is some entry point, where is that?
    I compared these files and see that the 67 firsts bytes is the same in
    all. Is it some header?

    Thank you for your help.

    Att.

    Alan