Bootable compact flash creation - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Bootable compact flash creation - VxWorks ; Hi All, I'm trying to create a VxWorks Boot Disk on a Compact Flash Device(2 GB). These are the steps that i followed for the creation of bootable compact flash Creation of VxWorks Bootable Compact Flash 1. Make the floppy ...

  1. Bootable compact flash creation

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to create a VxWorks Boot Disk on a Compact Flash
    Device(2 GB).
    These are the steps that i followed for the creation of bootable
    compact flash

    Creation of VxWorks Bootable Compact Flash

    1. Make the floppy as dos bootable (e.g. Dos 6.22)

    2. Copy the chkdsk,fdisk,format dos utilities to floppy

    3. Copy the vxsys (from Tornado2.2\host\x86-win32\bin) on floppy

    4. Copy the vxWorks_romCompress.bin or bootrom.bin on floppy

    5. Connect the Compact flash in the target (It should be in C: drive
    on DOS)

    6. Boot the target from floppy

    7. Create active partition on C: using fdisk on floppy

    8. Format the created active partition C: from floppy by format
    command ( i.e.create the DOS FS in C: partition)

    9. Type the command 'vxsys C:' (Makes flash as vxWorks bootable --
    Copy the VxLd into boot sector)

    10. Copy vxworks_romCompress.bin or bootrom.bin from A: to C:

    11. Rename the file VxWorks_romCompress.bin or bootrom.bin to
    bootrom.sys (by ren dos command)

    12. Run chkdsk C:\bootrom.sys from A: (Note it should be contiguous)

    13. Remove the Floppy from the target and then boot from Compact
    Flash.

    Then I boot my board from the Compact flash but itz not booting ..
    (The compact flash is detected in BIOS)..I don't know how to proceed
    further.

    NOTE:I use the same procedure for the compact flash creation(10 MB).

    Has anyone else observed similar behavior?
    Any known solutions?
    Thanks in Advance

    Regards,
    Papi

  2. Re: Bootable compact flash creation

    Hello Papi,
    What do see when you do the step (9) in your procedure?
    ( and, what is the version of the vxworks you have?).

    -Venkat Dyavana

    On Mar 25, 8:00*am, papi wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > * * *I'm trying to create a VxWorks Boot Disk on a Compact Flash
    > Device(2 GB).
    > *These are the steps that i followed for the creation of bootable
    > compact flash
    >
    > *Creation of VxWorks Bootable Compact Flash
    >
    > *1. Make the floppy as dos bootable *(e.g. Dos 6.22)
    >
    > *2. Copy the chkdsk,fdisk,format dos utilities to floppy
    >
    > *3. Copy the vxsys (from Tornado2.2\host\x86-win32\bin) on floppy
    >
    > 4. Copy the vxWorks_romCompress.bin or bootrom.bin on floppy
    >
    > *5. Connect the Compact flash in the target (It should be in C: drive
    > on DOS)
    >
    > *6. Boot the target from floppy
    >
    > *7. Create active partition on C: using fdisk on floppy
    >
    > *8. Format the created active partition C: from floppy by format
    > command ( i.e.create the DOS FS in C: partition)
    >
    > *9. Type the command 'vxsys C:' (Makes flash as vxWorks bootable --
    > Copy the VxLd into boot sector)
    >
    > *10. Copy vxworks_romCompress.bin or bootrom.bin from A: to C:
    >
    > *11. Rename the file VxWorks_romCompress.bin or bootrom.bin to
    > bootrom.sys (by ren dos command)
    >
    > *12. Run chkdsk C:\bootrom.sys from A: (Note it should be contiguous)
    >
    > *13. Remove the Floppy from the target and then boot from Compact
    > Flash.
    >
    > Then I *boot my board from the Compact flash but itz not booting ..
    > (The compact flash is * detected in BIOS)..I don't know how to proceed
    > further.
    >
    > *NOTE:I use the same procedure for the compact flash creation(10 MB).
    >
    > Has anyone else observed similar behavior?
    > Any known solutions?
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Regards,
    > Papi