PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2 - VxWorks

This is a discussion on PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2 - VxWorks ; Hi, We have VxWorks 5.5 and Tornado 2.2, I was charged with integrating a modem into our system, and dialing up to the internet. Tornado 2.2 documentation states that the current PPP will be replaced soon, and is mostly for ...

  1. PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2

    Hi,

    We have VxWorks 5.5 and Tornado 2.2,

    I was charged with integrating a modem into our system, and dialing up
    to the internet. Tornado 2.2 documentation states that the current PPP
    will be replaced soon, and is mostly for debugging.
    It also states that the PPP does not support modem or ethernet, but
    instead works with a serial line only.

    So my questions are:

    1. Isnt a modem basically a serial line ?
    2. Did anyone succeed in working with a modem (dialing to the
    internet, using IPCP) using the PPP stack that comes with vxworks 5.5
    torndo 2.2 combination?
    3. Of course, any comments are welcomed.

    thanks
    Lior

  2. Re: PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2

    Hi Lior,

    Not sure but may be intention is to say that it supports Null Modem
    only i.e. transmit and receive line crossed (http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/Null_modem)

    Best Regards
    VKG | Ritsoft Technologies

  3. Re: PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2

    Hi VKG,

    Why would a software need to know if the lines are crossed or
    forwarded through a real modem?

    Thanks
    Lior

    On Mar 14, 1:05 am, VKG Ritsoft Technologies
    wrote:
    > Hi Lior,
    >
    > Not sure but may be intention is to say that it supports Null Modem
    > only i.e. transmit and receive line crossed (http://en.wikipedia.org/
    > wiki/Null_modem)
    >
    > Best Regards
    > VKG | Ritsoft Technologies

  4. Re: PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2

    Hi Lior,

    I agree that software should not worry about hardware lines but I was
    wondering if that can affact the initiation of ppp session. A quick
    hit on google search (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?
    qid=1063648&page=1) seems to have answer to your query. Looks like
    software depends upon how the session is initiated.

    Best Regards
    VKG | Ritsoft Technologies

  5. Re: PPP with vxWorks 5.5 Tornado 2.2

    On Mar 13, 9:25 am, lior.ti...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have VxWorks 5.5 and Tornado 2.2,
    >
    > I was charged with integrating a modem into our system, and dialing up
    > to the internet. Tornado 2.2 documentation states that the current PPP
    > will be replaced soon, and is mostly for debugging.
    > It also states that the PPP does not support modem or ethernet, but
    > instead works with a serial line only.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    >
    > 1. Isnt a modem basically a serial line ?
    > 2. Did anyone succeed in working with a modem (dialing to the
    > internet, using IPCP) using the PPP stack that comes with vxworks 5.5
    > torndo 2.2 combination?
    > 3. Of course, any comments are welcomed.
    >
    > thanks
    > Lior

    You first need to estabilish the connection with the other modem
    (dialing) so you need to send the AT commands to the modem (I think
    that using fprintf is good enough), after this you should start PPP on
    the same line (I'm using PPP on 6.5 so I can't help you with this)

+ Reply to Thread