Default character encoding used for VxWorks platform. - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Default character encoding used for VxWorks platform. - VxWorks ; Hi , I had a query regarding the default character encoding used for VxWorks platform. The problem I am facing is that when I transmit the characters in the european alphabets which are beyond the ASCII range of 127 (like ...

  1. Default character encoding used for VxWorks platform.

    Hi ,
    I had a query regarding the default character encoding used for
    VxWorks platform.
    The problem I am facing is that when I transmit the characters in
    the european alphabets which are beyond the ASCII range of 127 (like
    ) from a VxWorks system to a Linux platform based system
    (socket based communication) then they get changed to some other
    characters.
    The VxWorks (server) sockets are implemented in C and Linux (client)
    socket implementation is in Java.

    I think that it might be because of the different character encodings
    used for the two platforms.
    When we transmit the same charactres between two VxWorks based
    system then they are received correctly.

    It would be great if some information regarding the default encodings
    used for characters in VxWorks (and Linux) can be obtained or if there
    could be any other reason for such a behaviour.
    Any response is highly appriciated.
    Thanks,
    Siddharth

  2. Re: Default character encoding used for VxWorks platform.

    On Feb 27, 5:22 pm, siddharthb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi ,
    > I had a query regarding the default character encoding used for
    > VxWorks platform.
    > The problem I am facing is that when I transmit the characters in
    > the european alphabets which are beyond the ASCII range of 127 (like
    > ) from a VxWorks system to a Linux platform based system
    > (socket based communication) then they get changed to some other
    > characters.
    > The VxWorks (server) sockets are implemented in C and Linux (client)
    > socket implementation is in Java.
    >
    > I think that it might be because of the different character encodings
    > used for the two platforms.
    > When we transmit the same charactres between two VxWorks based
    > system then they are received correctly.
    >
    > It would be great if some information regarding the default encodings
    > used for characters in VxWorks (and Linux) can be obtained or if there
    > could be any other reason for such a behaviour.
    > Any response is highly appriciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Siddharth

    Hi,

    The VxWorks itself doesn' t seems to use any character encoding. But
    you can use unicode library to handle non-ascii characters. Checke
    whether unicode-8 or unicode-16 is enabled. The unicode-16 might be
    enabled in the vxworks and linux might be using unicode-8

    hope this helps.
    ~
    deepu

  3. Re: Default character encoding used for VxWorks platform.

    As far as I can tell VxWorks supports only ISO/IEC 646:1991, in other
    words essentially the 7-bit ASCII characters. The OS itself does not
    do any character encoding.

    --
    PAD

+ Reply to Thread