Target Loader, OS extension - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Target Loader, OS extension - VxWorks ; Dear All, I've read in tornado online manuals that the load command, ld, of the target loader can be used to extend the operating system itself not only to download application modules. I've created a VxWorks image and downloaded it ...

  1. Target Loader, OS extension

    Dear All,

    I've read in tornado online manuals that the load command, ld, of the
    target loader can be used to extend the operating system itself not
    only to download application modules. I've created a VxWorks image and
    downloaded it to the PPC target and now I am trying to add new
    components, using #define, to the VxWorks image and load it to the
    target without downloading the entire image again. The load command
    needs .o or .out files and the VxWorks image is one .crc file, so
    where can I find the extension that is created as a result of the new
    component addition and how can I download it using the ld command?!

    Best Regards,
    Ramy

  2. Re: Target Loader, OS extension

    Hello Ramy,

    In VxWorks kernel environment there is no true distinction between OS
    and application code. Whatever runs in the kernel environment (Wind
    River's code or your code) may be conceived as part of the OS.

    The module loader is meant to load only object files (.o and .out).
    The loaded module is linked with the kernel image and de-facto becomes
    an extension of the system in the sense that the public functions
    brought by the module can be used in the same way as any other public
    functions part of the OS. Loaded modules are supposed to be provided
    by the user (you).

    The loader is not meant to load the VxWorks components (the items used
    to configure the system). Since components ultimately correspond to a
    set of object modules there is no technical impossibility here; it is
    simply that the organization of the components and VxWorks libraries
    does not make them easily manageable via the module loader.

    If you really want to do what you describe you will have to find the
    complete list of object files part of and required by each component,
    download those object files in the right order (except for those
    already part of the VxWorks image or already downloaded), then call
    each of the initialization routines those downloaded object files
    might hold. Note that I do not guarantee that this would work in all
    cases.

    Cheers,

    --
    PAD