tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec - VxWorks

This is a discussion on tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec - VxWorks ; I did a WindView trace of my code, and it looks like tNetTask is doing a taskDelay() of one second. Unfortunately, I don't have the source code for VxWorks, so I don't know why tNetTask is doing this. Do any ...

  1. tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec

    I did a WindView trace of my code, and it looks like tNetTask is doing
    a taskDelay() of one second. Unfortunately, I don't have the source
    code for VxWorks, so I don't know why tNetTask is doing this. Do any
    of you know why tNetTask might be doing this? Thanks in advance.

    -daniel

  2. Re: tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec

    On Jan 21, 7:36*pm, Daniel wrote:
    > I did a WindView trace of my code, and it looks like tNetTask is doing
    > a taskDelay() of one second. *Unfortunately, I don't have the source
    > code for VxWorks, so I don't know why tNetTask is doing this. *Do any
    > of you know why tNetTask might be doing this? *Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -daniel

    Maybe the driver is backing off in a TCP session? Is the time one
    minute, or is the argument just "1". Lots of VxWorks code uses
    "taskDelay(1)" to allow other tasks to run. This is especially true of
    high priority tasks like tNetTask (although I haven't got the source
    code for that, either).

    - Matt

  3. Re: tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec

    The WindView trace says that the taskDelay is being executed with an
    argument of 1000 ticks. The tick rate for my board is 1000 ticks/
    sec. One of our engineers thinks that maybe the cause is due to
    autonegotiation, which is catastrophic.

    -Daniel

    On Jan 23, 8:37 am, Matt Havener wrote
    > On Jan 21, 7:36 pm, Daniel wrote:
    >
    > > I did a WindView trace of my code, and it looks like tNetTask is doing
    > > a taskDelay() of one second. Unfortunately, I don't have the source
    > > code for VxWorks, so I don't know why tNetTask is doing this. Do any
    > > of you know why tNetTask might be doing this? Thanks in advance.

    > > -daniel

    > Maybe the driver is backing off in a TCP session? Is the time one
    > minute, or is the argument just "1". Lots of VxWorks code uses
    > "taskDelay(1)" to allow other tasks to run. This is especially true of
    > high priority tasks like tNetTask (although I haven't got the source
    > code for that, either).
    >
    > - Matt

  4. Re: tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec

    It this happens when or just after you get the link signal it is possible
    the autonegotiation.
    I think most controllers are possible to handle this by itself. It depends
    on how you set up
    yor ethernet controller and driver to handle link on signal.
    What ethernet controller an driver do you have?
    You should also mention version of VxWorks and driver (and possible miiLib)

    HB

    "Daniel" wrote in message
    > The WindView trace says that the taskDelay is being executed with an
    > argument of 1000 ticks. The tick rate for my board is 1000 ticks/
    > sec. One of our engineers thinks that maybe the cause is due to
    > autonegotiation, which is catastrophic.
    >
    > -Daniel
    >

    > On Jan 23, 8:37 am, Matt Havener wrote
    >> On Jan 21, 7:36 pm, Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >> > I did a WindView trace of my code, and it looks like tNetTask is doing
    >> > a taskDelay() of one second. Unfortunately, I don't have the source
    >> > code for VxWorks, so I don't know why tNetTask is doing this. Do any
    >> > of you know why tNetTask might be doing this? Thanks in advance.

    >> > -daniel

    >> Maybe the driver is backing off in a TCP session? Is the time one
    >> minute, or is the argument just "1". Lots of VxWorks code uses
    >> "taskDelay(1)" to allow other tasks to run. This is especially true of
    >> high priority tasks like tNetTask (although I haven't got the source
    >> code for that, either).
    >>
    >> - Matt

  5. Re: tNetTask is delaying for 1 sec

    On Jan 21, 8:36 pm, Daniel wrote:
    > I did a WindView trace of my code, and it looks like tNetTask is doing
    > a taskDelay() of one second. Unfortunately, I don't have the source
    > code for VxWorks, so I don't know why tNetTask is doing this. Do any
    > of you know why tNetTask might be doing this? Thanks in advance.

    Is it doing it on a regular basis?
    Or just once in a blue moon?
    If it's regular, the network driver may be polling link status to
    check for link loss.
    Some network drivers, those that have no way for an interrupt to
    signal link status changes do this.
    Some of them do it really grossly wrong.
    What is the network device?

    HTH
    GV

+ Reply to Thread