Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6 - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6 - VxWorks ; Anyone know about the possibility of booting vxworks off a usb drive? I can use a usb drive instead of a floppy as a bootloader which loads the vxworks image off ftp, no problems. What I really need though is ...

  1. Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    Anyone know about the possibility of booting vxworks off a usb drive?
    I can use a usb drive instead of a floppy as a bootloader which loads
    the vxworks image off ftp, no problems. What I really need though is
    to be able ot use the usb drive as a bootloader the loads the image
    from itself. Any ideas? I could find anything, even in the 6.6 release
    documentation.

  2. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    specifically I need to know what to modify the default boot line to

  3. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    "linknum23@gmail.com" wrote:

    >Anyone know about the possibility of booting vxworks off a usb drive?
    >I can use a usb drive instead of a floppy as a bootloader which loads
    >the vxworks image off ftp, no problems. What I really need though is
    >to be able ot use the usb drive as a bootloader the loads the image
    >from itself. Any ideas? I could find anything, even in the 6.6 release
    >documentation.

    >specifically I need to know what to modify the default boot line to

    Type '?' and enter at the boot line editor prompt and the boot ROM
    program will output, along with a list of valid commands, lists of
    bootable devices and examples of how to set the boot line's "boot
    device" and "file name" fields to boot from those devices.

    | two, one and one make one."

  4. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 14, 9:09 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
    > "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > >Anyone know about the possibility of booting vxworks off a usb drive?
    > >I can use a usb drive instead of a floppy as a bootloader which loads
    > >the vxworks image off ftp, no problems. What I really need though is
    > >to be able ot use the usb drive as a bootloader the loads the image
    > >from itself. Any ideas? I could find anything, even in the 6.6 release
    > >documentation.
    > >specifically I need to know what to modify the default boot line to

    > Type '?' and enter at the boot line editor prompt and the boot ROM
    > program will output, along with a list of valid commands, lists of
    > bootable devices and examples of how to set the boot line's "boot
    > device" and "file name" fields to boot from those devices.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    The list of available boot devices only specifies gei0 and gei1

  5. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    "linknum23@gmail.com" wrote:

    >On Jan 14, 9:09 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    >wrote:
    >> "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >> >Anyone know about the possibility of booting vxworks off a usb drive?
    >> >I can use a usb drive instead of a floppy as a bootloader which loads
    >> >the vxworks image off ftp, no problems. What I really need though is
    >> >to be able ot use the usb drive as a bootloader the loads the image
    >> >from itself. Any ideas? I could find anything, even in the 6.6 release
    >> >documentation.
    >> >specifically I need to know what to modify the default boot line to

    >> Type '?' and enter at the boot line editor prompt and the boot ROM
    >> program will output, along with a list of valid commands, lists of
    >> bootable devices and examples of how to set the boot line's "boot
    >> device" and "file name" fields to boot from those devices.

    >The list of available boot devices only specifies gei0 and gei1

    I'm guessing that gei0 and gei1 are network interfaces (Hint: always
    specify your target, tools set, and OS version when asking for help
    in this newsgroup!) so it would seem that a USB driver was not included
    in your boot ROM. Check your BSP's config.h and, if available, define
    the appropriate component(s), rebuild the BSP, and burn and install a
    new boot ROM.

    | two, one and one make one."

  6. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 15, 10:04 am, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
    > "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > >On Jan 14, 9:09 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    > >wrote:

    > >> Type '?' and enter at the boot line editor prompt and the boot ROM
    > >> program will output, along with a list of valid commands, lists of
    > >> bootable devices and examples of how to set the boot line's "boot
    > >> device" and "file name" fields to boot from those devices.

    > >The list of available boot devices only specifies gei0 and gei1

    > I'm guessing that gei0 and gei1 are network interfaces (Hint: always
    > specify your target, tools set, and OS version when asking for help
    > in this newsgroup!) so it would seem that a USB driver was not included
    > in your boot ROM. Check your BSP's config.h and, if available, define
    > the appropriate component(s), rebuild the BSP, and burn and install a
    > new boot ROM.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    correct, I fixed it and now have bd0 as an available boot device.

    When booting it errs out tho.

    Booting from USB file - /bd0/vxWorks

    failed to open "/bd0/vxWorks", attempt 1 of 4
    failed to open "/bd0/vxWorks", attempt 2 of 4
    failed to open "/bd0/vxWorks", attempt 3 of 4

    cannot open "/bd0/vxWorks"
    errno 0x41

    im using vxworks 6.6 release
    in my config.h file i added the following:

    #define INCLUDE_USB
    #define INCLUDE_USB_INIT
    #define INCLUDE_EHCI
    #define INCLUDE_EHCI_INIT
    #define INCLUDE_EHCI_BUS
    #define INCLUDE_OHCI
    #define INCLUDE_OHCI_INIT
    #define INCLUDE_OHCI_BUS
    #define INCLUDE_UHCI
    #define INCLUDE_UHCI_BUS
    #define INCLUDE_UHCI_INIT
    #define INCLUDE_USB_MS_BULKONLY
    #define INCLUDE_USB_MS_BULKONLY_INIT

    #define INCLUDE_BOOT_USB_FS_LOADER

    /* File System Stuff 4 usb boot test */
    #define INCLUDE_DOSFS
    #define INCLUDE_DOSFS_MAIN
    #define INCLUDE_DOSFS_CHKDSK
    #define INCLUDE_DOSFS_FMT
    #define INCLUDE_FS_MONITOR
    #define INCLUDE_ERF
    #define INCLUDE_XBD
    #define INCLUDE_DEVICE_MANAGER
    #define INCLUDE_XBD_PART_LIB

  7. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    "linknum23@gmail.com" wrote:

    >On Jan 15, 10:04 am, "Michael R. Kesti" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm guessing that gei0 and gei1 are network interfaces (Hint: always
    >> specify your target, tools set, and OS version when asking for help
    >> in this newsgroup!) so it would seem that a USB driver was not included
    >> in your boot ROM. Check your BSP's config.h and, if available, define
    >> the appropriate component(s), rebuild the BSP, and burn and install a
    >> new boot ROM.

    >correct, I fixed it and now have bd0 as an available boot device.
    >
    >When booting it errs out tho.
    >
    >Booting from USB file - /bd0/vxWorks
    >
    >failed to open "/bd0/vxWorks", attempt 1 of 4
    >failed to open "/bd0/vxWorks", attempt 2 of 4
    >failed to open "/bd0/vxWorks", attempt 3 of 4
    >
    >cannot open "/bd0/vxWorks"

    Is there a file named "vxWorks" on your USB device?

    >errno 0x41

    Error 0x41 is EHOSTUNREACH (The error numbers are specified in the docs
    in your distribution but I find its often easier to Google "vxworks error
    numbers" to find this site.

    http://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/gla...noNumList.html)

    Host unreachable implies that you still have the boot device configured
    to a network interface (gei0 or gei1) rather than your USB device (bd0).
    Please post the output of the boot line editor's 'p' command. It should
    look something (but probably not exactly) like this.

    boot device : bd=0
    processor number : 0
    host name :
    file name : /bd0/vxworks
    inet on ethernet (e) : 192.168.100.123::ffffff00
    flags (f) : 0x8
    target name (tn) : target
    other (o) : gei0

    When booting from a non-network device the other field is used to specify
    a network interface that is to be initialized anyway.

    >im using vxworks 6.6 release
    >in my config.h file i added the following:
    >
    >#define INCLUDE_USB
    >#define INCLUDE_USB_INIT
    >#define INCLUDE_EHCI
    >#define INCLUDE_EHCI_INIT
    >#define INCLUDE_EHCI_BUS
    >#define INCLUDE_OHCI
    >#define INCLUDE_OHCI_INIT
    >#define INCLUDE_OHCI_BUS
    >#define INCLUDE_UHCI
    >#define INCLUDE_UHCI_BUS
    >#define INCLUDE_UHCI_INIT
    >#define INCLUDE_USB_MS_BULKONLY
    >#define INCLUDE_USB_MS_BULKONLY_INIT
    >
    >#define INCLUDE_BOOT_USB_FS_LOADER
    >
    >/* File System Stuff 4 usb boot test */
    >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS
    >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS_MAIN
    >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS_CHKDSK
    >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS_FMT
    >#define INCLUDE_FS_MONITOR
    >#define INCLUDE_ERF
    >#define INCLUDE_XBD
    >#define INCLUDE_DEVICE_MANAGER
    >#define INCLUDE_XBD_PART_LIB

    These look like an appropriate set of options which is supported by
    your boot ROM recognizing that your USB device is bootable.

    | two, one and one make one."

  8. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 15, 8:53 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
> [...]

    > >#define INCLUDE_UHCI_BUS
    > >#define INCLUDE_UHCI_INIT
    > >#define INCLUDE_USB_MS_BULKONLY
    > >#define INCLUDE_USB_MS_BULKONLY_INIT

    > >#define INCLUDE_BOOT_USB_FS_LOADER

    > >/* File System Stuff 4 usb boot test */
    > >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS
    > >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS_MAIN
    > >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS_CHKDSK
    > >#define INCLUDE_DOSFS_FMT
    > >#define INCLUDE_FS_MONITOR
    > >#define INCLUDE_ERF
    > >#define INCLUDE_XBD
    > >#define INCLUDE_DEVICE_MANAGER
    > >#define INCLUDE_XBD_PART_LIB

    > These look like an appropriate set of options which is supported by
    > your boot ROM recognizing that your USB device is bootable.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    boot device : usb0
    processor number : 0
    host name :host
    file name : /bd0/vxworks
    inet on ethernet (e) :
    flags (f) :
    target name (tn) :
    other (o) :

    I dont think the usb is getting initialized properly though, when I
    try devs at the boot prompt i dont see /bd0.

  9. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 16, 8:24 am, "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
> [...]

    > > >#define INCLUDE_DEVICE_MANAGER
    > > >#define INCLUDE_XBD_PART_LIB

    > > These look like an appropriate set of options which is supported by
    > > your boot ROM recognizing that your USB device is bootable.

    > > --
    > > ================================================== ======================
    > > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > > | two, one and one make one."
    > > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    > boot device : usb0
    > processor number : 0
    > host name :host
    > file name : /bd0/vxworks
    > inet on ethernet (e) :
    > flags (f) :
    > target name (tn) :
    > other (o) :
    >
    > I dont think the usb is getting initialized properly though, when I
    > try devs at the boot prompt i dont see /bd0.

    and yes there is a file named vxworks

  10. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    "linknum23@gmail.com" wrote:

    >> On Jan 15, 8:53 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    >> wrote:

    >> > Please post the output of the boot line editor's 'p' command. It should
    >> > look something (but probably not exactly) like this.

    >> > boot device : bd=0
    >> > processor number : 0
    >> > host name :
    >> > file name : /bd0/vxworks
    >> > inet on ethernet (e) : 192.168.100.123::ffffff00
    >> > flags (f) : 0x8
    >> > target name (tn) : target
    >> > other (o) : gei0

    >> boot device : usb0
    >> processor number : 0
    >> host name :host
    >> file name : /bd0/vxworks
    >> inet on ethernet (e) :
    >> flags (f) :
    >> target name (tn) :
    >> other (o) :
    >>
    >> I dont think the usb is getting initialized properly though, when I
    >> try devs at the boot prompt i dont see /bd0.

    >and yes there is a file named vxworks

    I thought that boot device entry should be "bd=0" or maybe "usb=0". Is
    the example provided in response to the '?' command really "usb0"?

    If the problem is not the boot device field then I agree that the USB
    device may not be getting initialized correctly. Does the USB interface
    work if, in addition to your boor ROM image, you configure a bootable
    image to include the USB device and load that image via a network
    interface?

    | two, one and one make one."

  11. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 16, 10:05 am, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
    > "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:

    > >> boot device : usb0
    > >> processor number : 0
    > >> host name :host
    > >> file name : /bd0/vxworks
    > >> inet on ethernet (e) :
    > >> flags (f) :
    > >> target name (tn) :
    > >> other (o) :

    > >> I dont think the usb is getting initialized properly though, when I
    > >> try devs at the boot prompt i dont see /bd0.

    > >and yes there is a file named vxworks

    > I thought that boot device entry should be "bd=0" or maybe "usb=0". Is
    > the example provided in response to the '?' command really "usb0"?
    >
    > If the problem is not the boot device field then I agree that the USB
    > device may not be getting initialized correctly. Does the USB interface
    > work if, in addition to your boor ROM image, you configure a bootable
    > image to include the USB device and load that image via a network
    > interface?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    I type usb and when i type c in the shell again it appends the 0 to
    make usb0 so i assume that is the correct format.
    Yes it does work after the os is loaded off the ethernet. Using the
    same config file.
    We found that usbBulkDevInit is returning an error, usbBulkDevInit
    returns ERROR flashes on the screen for a split second.

  12. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    "linknum23@gmail.com" wrote:

    >On Jan 16, 10:05 am, "Michael R. Kesti"
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I thought that boot device entry should be "bd=0" or maybe "usb=0". Is
    >> the example provided in response to the '?' command really "usb0"?
    >>
    >> If the problem is not the boot device field then I agree that the USB
    >> device may not be getting initialized correctly. Does the USB interface
    >> work if, in addition to your boor ROM image, you configure a bootable
    >> image to include the USB device and load that image via a network
    >> interface?

    >I type usb and when i type c in the shell again it appends the 0 to
    >make usb0 so i assume that is the correct format.

    Please post the output of the boot line editor's '?' command.

    >Yes it does work after the os is loaded off the ethernet. Using the
    >same config file.

    No, the bootable OS is probably not built using the same config file.
    A BSP's config.h is used to configure boot ROM builds and bootable OSs
    are configured using project facilities. It is easy for one to be
    configured in entirely separate ways!

    >We found that usbBulkDevInit is returning an error, usbBulkDevInit
    >returns ERROR flashes on the screen for a split second.

    Then there is a clue! The problem is that, because there is little
    debugging support in the boot ROM, you need an ICE or logic analyzer
    to determine why functions fail. Alternatively, you can read the code,
    if available, and try to figure out what is happening.

    | two, one and one make one."

  13. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 16, 11:47*pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
    > "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > >On Jan 16, 10:05 am, "Michael R. Kesti"
    > >wrote:

    > >> I thought that boot device entry should be "bd=0" or maybe "usb=0".*Is
    > >> the example provided in response to the '?' command really "usb0"?

    > >> If the problem is not the boot device field then I agree that the USB
    > >> device may not be getting initialized correctly. *Does the USB interface
    > >> work if, in addition to your boor ROM image, you configure a bootable
    > >> image to include the USB device and load that image via a network
    > >> interface?

    > >I type usb and when i type c in the shell again it appends the 0 to
    > >make usb0 so i assume that is the correct format.

    > Please post the output of the boot line editor's '?' command.
    >
    > >Yes it does work after the os is loaded off the ethernet. Using the
    > >same config file.

    > No, the bootable OS is probably not built using the same config file.
    > A BSP's config.h is used to configure boot ROM builds and bootable OSs
    > are configured using project facilities. *It is easy for one to be
    > configured in entirely separate ways!
    >
    > >We found that usbBulkDevInit is returning an error, *usbBulkDevInit
    > >returns ERROR flashes on the screen for a split second.

    > Then there is a clue! *The problem is that, because there is little
    > debugging support in the boot ROM, you need an ICE or logic analyzer
    > to determine why functions fail. *Alternatively, you can read the code,
    > if available, and try to figure out what is happening.
    >
    > --
    > * * * * * Michael Kesti * * * * * *| *"And like, one and one don't make
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *| * two, one and one make one."
    > * * mrkesti at hotmail dot com * * | * * * * *- The Who,Bargain

    I successfully got the usb initialized at boot time! Just had to
    increase the address (#define RAM_LOW_ADRS 0x0204000) that the vxWorks
    image was loaded to.We replaced every 00204000 in the code with
    0060000. It loads the image off the usb drive and starts to boot
    then ... restarts. We think that it may have something to do with a
    dependency that wasn't satisfied when the image address was changed.
    It also does the same thing after loading the image off the network.
    Something in the image is hosed. Just have to figuire out what now.
    Any ideas?

  14. Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    On Jan 18, 4:07 pm, "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > On Jan 16, 11:47 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:

    > > >I type usb and when i type c in the shell again it appends the 0 to
    > > >make usb0 so i assume that is the correct format.

    > > Please post the output of the boot line editor's '?' command.

    > > >Yes it does work after the os is loaded off the ethernet. Using the
    > > >same config file.

    > > No, the bootable OS is probably not built using the same config file.
    > > A BSP's config.h is used to configure boot ROM builds and bootable OSs
    > > are configured using project facilities. It is easy for one to be
    > > configured in entirely separate ways!

    > > >We found that usbBulkDevInit is returning an error, usbBulkDevInit
    > > >returns ERROR flashes on the screen for a split second.

    > > Then there is a clue! The problem is that, because there is little
    > > debugging support in the boot ROM, you need an ICE or logic analyzer
    > > to determine why functions fail. Alternatively, you can read the code,
    > > if available, and try to figure out what is happening.

    > > --
    > > ================================================== ======================
    > > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > > | two, one and one make one."
    > > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    > I successfully got the usb initialized at boot time! Just had to
    > increase the address (#define RAM_LOW_ADRS 0x0204000) that the vxWorks
    > image was loaded to.We replaced every 00204000 in the code with
    > 0060000. It loads the image off the usb drive and starts to boot
    > then ... restarts. We think that it may have something to do with a
    > dependency that wasn't satisfied when the image address was changed.
    > It also does the same thing after loading the image off the network.
    > Something in the image is hosed. Just have to figuire out what now.
    > Any ideas?

    Success!! We reloaded everything from version control, and repeated
    the last step and it works!!

    On Jan 19, 2:06 am, "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > On Jan 18, 4:07 pm, "linknu...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 16, 11:47 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    > > wrote:

    > > > Please post the output of the boot line editor's '?' command.

    > > > No, the bootable OS is probably not built using the same config file.
    > > > A BSP's config.h is used to configure boot ROM builds and bootable OSs
    > > > are configured using project facilities. It is easy for one to be
    > > > configured in entirely separate ways!

    > > > Then there is a clue! The problem is that, because there is little
    > > > debugging support in the boot ROM, you need an ICE or logic analyzer
    > > > to determine why functions fail. Alternatively, you can read the code,
    > > > if available, and try to figure out what is happening.

    > > > --
    > > > ================================================== ======================
    > > > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > > > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

    > > I successfully got the usb initialized at boot time! Just had to
    > > increase the address (#define RAM_LOW_ADRS 0x0204000) that the vxWorks
    > > image was loaded to.We replaced every 00204000 in the code with
    > > 0060000. It loads the image off the usb drive and starts to boot
    > > then ... restarts. We think that it may have something to do with a
    > > dependency that wasn't satisfied when the image address was changed.
    > > It also does the same thing after loading the image off the network.
    > > Something in the image is hosed. Just have to figuire out what now.
    > > Any ideas?

    > Success!! We reloaded everything from version control, and repeated
    > the last step and it works!!

    Having to change the RAM_LOW_ADRS was an artifact of a bad
    configuration. RAM_LOW_ADRS was greater than RAM_HIGH_ADRS. oops!.

    Also as a note the following wasn't included in our final version of
    config.h i believe some problems exist between ehci and ohci have not
    confirmed yet though.

    #define INCLUDE_OHCI
    #define INCLUDE_OHCI_INIT
    #define INCLUDE_OHCI_BUS

  16. Question Re: Bootable USB flash drive in 6.6

    Hi,

    I am real newbie when it comes to VxWorks (i am using VxWOrks 6.6 and workbench 3.6), i need to create a bootable usb flash, i am not even sure how to create a bootloader on the USB.

    I am use the following to create a bootable floppy drive, and it works great, however since the size of the image is limited, i need to have a bigger image hence the option of using a USB device. I use the following commands to create a bootable floppy and it works fine,
    objcopypentium -O binary --binary-without-bss vxWorks_romCompress vxWorks_romCompress.bin
    mkboot a: vxWorks_romCompress.bin

    however if i try using the above command (not using the rom compress but the default option), for the USB i get an exception when i use mkboot.

    Can anybody help me out here ?

    thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread