how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus? - VxWorks ; Hi guys, I am trying to reset any MV5100 board on the VME chasis by issuing a 1 from another MV5100 board to a reset bit of either MISC_CTL register or VCSR_SET register of the Universe II chip. From the ...

  1. how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus?

    Hi guys,

    I am trying to reset any MV5100 board on the VME chasis by issuing a 1
    from another MV5100 board to a reset bit of either MISC_CTL register
    or VCSR_SET register of the Universe II chip.

    From the Universe II manual, the MISC_CTL register has address offset
    0x404 and VCSR_SET register has address offset 0xFF8.

    First of all, I am not sure how to directly write to these two
    registers from the shell.
    Secondly, i am not sure how to reset one MV5100 board by another
    MV5100 board on the same VME backplane.

    I have experience transmitting data between these two MV5100 boards
    over the VME bus by translating between the VME address to PCI
    address, but I have no clue how to access the Universe II chip
    register over the VME bus.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Ray

  2. Re: how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus?

    Oops, I've just figured out how by myself.

    One more question. If i have THREE mv5100, how to reset only one of
    them by another one while the third one is sitting untouched? Thanks.

  3. Re: how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus?

    Ray wrote:

    >Oops, I've just figured out how by myself.

    That's great, Ray, but how about posting what you figured out? I hate it
    when I search for discussions of problems only to discover that somebody
    has previously asked and, as you have, reported only that they figured it
    out for themselves.

    >One more question. If i have THREE mv5100, how to reset only one of
    >them by another one while the third one is sitting untouched? Thanks.

    I dunno.

    | two, one and one make one."

  4. Re: how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus?

    Well there is a universe chip base address in either sysLib.c or
    universe.c or header files. I traced the code and found the base
    address for my mv5100 is 0xfd000000. so on the shell, just type the
    sum of base address and offset address of the register, you can easily
    get access to it.

    Michael R. Kesti wrote:
    > Ray wrote:
    >
    > >Oops, I've just figured out how by myself.

    > That's great, Ray, but how about posting what you figured out? I hate it
    > when I search for discussions of problems only to discover that somebody
    > has previously asked and, as you have, reported only that they figured it
    > out for themselves.
    >
    > >One more question. If i have THREE mv5100, how to reset only one of
    > >them by another one while the third one is sitting untouched? Thanks.

    > I dunno.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

  5. Re: how to access Universe II registers from shell and via VME bus?

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

    Ray wrote:

    >Well there is a universe chip base address in either sysLib.c or
    >universe.c or header files. I traced the code and found the base
    >address for my mv5100 is 0xfd000000. so on the shell, just type the
    >sum of base address and offset address of the register, you can easily
    >get access to it.
    >
    >Michael R. Kesti wrote:
    >> Ray wrote:
    >>
    >> >Oops, I've just figured out how by myself.

    >> That's great, Ray, but how about posting what you figured out? I hate it
    >> when I search for discussions of problems only to discover that somebody
    >> has previously asked and, as you have, reported only that they figured it
    >> out for themselves.

    It would seem, then, that the chip is simply memory mapped. Having no
    experience with Universe chips and VME, I was thinking that access to
    the chip's registers might be more exotic. As it is, it would seem that
    the shell's memory access functions, such as "d" and "m", would serve
    well. For more information, type "help" at the shell prompt.

    In any event, thanks for the follow up.

    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?