taskDelay must be used? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on taskDelay must be used? - VxWorks ; Hi, I'm learning vxworks. so i have so many problems. One of them is about 'taskdelay'. if i run my program with taskdelay, all tasks are pended or only one task,which have highest priority, infinitely run and run. but if ...

  1. taskDelay must be used?

    Hi, I'm learning vxworks.
    so i have so many problems. One of them is about 'taskdelay'.
    if i run my program with taskdelay, all tasks are pended or only one
    task,which have highest priority, infinitely run and run.
    but if i write taskDelay at the end of each task, then all programs
    run.
    i made the program with priority-based scheduling.
    so i have tried to search any example code about using taskDelay and
    all kind of semaphore usage.

    Please, answer to me enough to understand or introduce to me useful
    web-site.

  2. Re: taskDelay must be used?

    On Dec 22, 12:19*am, defektemo...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I'm learning vxworks.
    > so i have so many problems. One of them is about 'taskdelay'.
    > if i run my program with taskdelay, all *tasks are pended or only one
    > task,which have highest priority, infinitely run and run.
    > but if i write taskDelay at the end of each task, then all programs
    > run.
    > i made the program with priority-based scheduling.
    > so i have tried to search any example code about using taskDelay and
    > all kind of semaphore usage.
    >
    > Please, answer to me enough to understand or introduce to me useful
    > web-site.

    taskDelay() pends the calling task only for the specified ticks. It
    does not affect other tasks.

    --Sadashiv

  3. Re: taskDelay must be used?

    defektemotor@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I'm learning vxworks.
    > so i have so many problems. One of them is about 'taskdelay'.
    > if i run my program with taskdelay, all tasks are pended or only one
    > task,which have highest priority, infinitely run and run.
    > but if i write taskDelay at the end of each task, then all programs
    > run.
    > i made the program with priority-based scheduling.
    > so i have tried to search any example code about using taskDelay and
    > all kind of semaphore usage.
    >
    > Please, answer to me enough to understand or introduce to me useful
    > web-site.

    Sadashiv was correct in the posting that indicated taskDelay pends the
    calling task only however it is my feeling that your question(s) above
    are really quite a bit more basic and that you need to start from the
    basics when it comes to concurrent programming.

    I don't have any good websites handy that start at the level that you
    should start at.

    I'd recommend a good book such as something like
    http://tinyurl.com/2gc5fb (Note, this is a link to amazon)

    Principles of Concurrent and Distributed Programming (2nd Edition)
    (Prentice-Hall International Series in Computer Science) (Paperback)

    I know this is a big book and pretty basic but I strongly recommend that
    you read it or something like it before diving in and writing a lot of
    code that uses tasks. Over the years I have seen a lot of code that
    attempts to use tasking without a basic understanding of the concepts
    involved and I can assure you that writing code without understand this
    will frustrate you and anyone who has to maintain your software in the
    future.

    Note that this is not a vxWorks book but a basic concepts book which is
    really where one needs to start.

+ Reply to Thread