Floppy interface problem in VxWorks 6.4 - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Floppy interface problem in VxWorks 6.4 - VxWorks ; Hi Friends, The arch is X86. I have connected the floppy in board, then Boot-ROM and VxWorks is working. If I did not connect the floppy in board and Floppy is configured in BSP and VxWorks, then Boot-ROM and VxWorks ...

  1. Floppy interface problem in VxWorks 6.4

    Hi Friends,

    The arch is X86.

    I have connected the floppy in board, then Boot-ROM and VxWorks is
    working.

    If I did not connect the floppy in board and Floppy is configured in
    BSP and VxWorks, then Boot-ROM and VxWorks is not booting.
    It keep on polling the floppy.

    This problem is in VxWorks 6.4 only. In VxWorks 5.5.1, the same
    condition is working.

    Whether I need to apply any patch to this?

    -Thanks
    K.Ananth

  2. Re: Floppy interface problem in VxWorks 6.4

    Let me just re-state things to make sure that I understand.

    First of all ...
    A VxWorks 6.4 image has been built. The floppy drive component has
    been included (INCLUDE_FD), but the drive is not connected to the
    board. That is, a component has been included for which there is no
    connecting hardware. If this is a fair summary, why would you do
    this?

    Second ...
    You say that this works in 6.4, but not in 5.5.1. Although I have not
    tested this (perhaps someone else can verify), I would imagine that
    the problem you report would also exist in 6.2 and 6.3 (but probably
    not in 6.1). I am basing this on the fact the file system framework
    was completely re-worked in 6.2. The floppy drive still uses the old
    BLKDEV interface, but it has been wrapped in an XBD. I suspect (and
    this is a suspicion only as I no longer have access to the VxWorks
    source code) that the observed behaviour is related to that.

    One other point ... With some of the 6.2 and later versions, if a
    hard disk was included in the image (INCLUDE_ATA), and no hard disk
    was connected to the board, the system would effectively hang as it
    would wait and wait for a non-existant hard disk. This may be a
    similar situation. I think that situation was solved with a timeout
    with the XBD wrapper for the INCLUDE_ATA component (30 seconds?)

    Peter Mitsis

    On Dec 20, 10:45*am, ananthk...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Friends,
    >
    > The arch is X86.
    >
    > I have connected the floppy in board, then Boot-ROM and *VxWorks is
    > working.
    >
    > If I did not connect the floppy in board and Floppy is configured in
    > BSP and VxWorks, then Boot-ROM and VxWorks is not booting.
    > It keep on polling the floppy.
    >
    > This problem is in VxWorks 6.4 only. In VxWorks 5.5.1, the same
    > condition is working.
    >
    > Whether I need to apply any patch to this?
    >
    > -Thanks
    > K.Ananth

  3. Re: Floppy interface problem in VxWorks 6.4

    Hi Peter Mitsis,
    Yes. The problem is in XBD Wrapper layer. The floppy is waiting for
    sync
    semaphore. I have changed the code to wait for 30 seconds. Then it is
    working.

    Thank you for reply.

    Is it recommended value(30 seconds)? Whether it will give any
    problem in
    rare situtation?

    -Thanks
    K.Ananth