Relocating Boot Loader in Memory - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Relocating Boot Loader in Memory - VxWorks ; I have created a vxWorks boot loader project for my BSP (an Embedded Planet ep8260). In looking at the srec file that is created I noticed that it appears to be using a base address of 0x00000000. Here is the ...

  1. Relocating Boot Loader in Memory

    I have created a vxWorks boot loader project for my BSP (an Embedded
    Planet ep8260). In looking at the srec file that is created I noticed
    that it appears to be using a base address of 0x00000000. Here is the
    first line of the .hex file:

    S00E0000626F6F74726F6D2E6865787C

    If I am reading that correctly the four zeros after te S00E are the
    address to load at. I would like to relocate the boot loader to
    another base address. How is the base address set in the project?

    Thank you for your help!
    -Brian

    PS. This is my first project with vxWorks. I've take the week long
    intro class from Wind River but otherwise I am a complete newbie to
    vxWorks.

  2. Re: Relocating Boot Loader in Memory

    mabgfounder wrote:
    > I have created a vxWorks boot loader project for my BSP (an Embedded
    > Planet ep8260). In looking at the srec file that is created I noticed
    > that it appears to be using a base address of 0x00000000. Here is the
    > first line of the .hex file:
    >
    > S00E0000626F6F74726F6D2E6865787C
    >
    > If I am reading that correctly the four zeros after te S00E are the
    > address to load at. I would like to relocate the boot loader to
    > another base address. How is the base address set in the project?

    Not if that's a Motorola S record, as I suspect. The 'S0' record has no
    address in it. See the following page, found with Google:
    http://www.amelek.gda.pl/avr/uisp/srecord.htm
    Addresses are found in the later S1, S2 or S3 records.

    > Thank you for your help!
    > -Brian
    >
    > PS. This is my first project with vxWorks. I've take the week long
    > intro class from Wind River but otherwise I am a complete newbie to
    > vxWorks.

  3. Re: Relocating Boot Loader in Memory

    mabgfounder wrote:

    >I have created a vxWorks boot loader project for my BSP (an Embedded
    >Planet ep8260). In looking at the srec file that is created I noticed
    >that it appears to be using a base address of 0x00000000. Here is the
    >first line of the .hex file:
    >
    >S00E0000626F6F74726F6D2E6865787C
    >
    >If I am reading that correctly the four zeros after te S00E are the
    >address to load at.

    Yes, except it's an S0 record which describes no ROM image data. so
    the address is moot. Note that the data are ASCII for "bootrom.hex".

    > I would like to relocate the boot loader to
    >another base address. How is the base address set in the project?

    It is determined by the values of ROM_BASE_ADRS and related macros,
    depending on the selected ROM configuration, that are defined in the
    BSP's config.h and Makefile files.