ldppc add archive failure - VxWorks

This is a discussion on ldppc add archive failure - VxWorks ; Hi, I'm trying to add archives using the ldppc --start-group & --end-group option. Recently I had to install few anti-virus software on my PC as my PC was infected with virus. After installing the software, I'm no longer able to ...

  1. ldppc add archive failure

    Hi,

    I'm trying to add archives using the ldppc --start-group & --end-group
    option. Recently I had to install few anti-virus software on my PC as
    my PC was infected with virus. After installing the software, I'm no
    longer able to include all the archives.

    I've noticed that I'm able to include about 50 archives using this
    option. If I try to include 51st archive the "cmd"
    window exists with out giving me any errors.

    Initially I used to get "Input line is too long" error which indicates
    the cmd window buffer has been exceeded.
    The path I'm using was too long so I changed my script by mapping a
    network drive to the path so that
    the input line will "T:\bin\...." instead of "C:\Tornado\bin\..."
    By doing so the "Input line is too long" error went away.

    I've started seeing DEP (Data Execution Prevention) problem. I have
    changed the DEP settings to
    "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only". After
    changing the setting I no longer
    see the DEP error but the cmd window just quits with out giving any
    errors.

    I don't know if the DEP is preventing me from including all the
    archives or if its any other problem.

    I'm trying to build on XP.
    VxWorks 5.3

    Any help appreciated!!

    Thanks

  2. Re: ldppc add archive failure

    lstrong wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to add archives using the ldppc --start-group & --end-group
    > option. Recently I had to install few anti-virus software on my PC as
    > my PC was infected with virus. After installing the software, I'm no
    > longer able to include all the archives.
    >
    > I've noticed that I'm able to include about 50 archives using this
    > option. If I try to include 51st archive the "cmd"
    > window exists with out giving me any errors.
    >
    > Initially I used to get "Input line is too long" error which indicates
    > the cmd window buffer has been exceeded.
    > The path I'm using was too long so I changed my script by mapping a
    > network drive to the path so that
    > the input line will "T:\bin\...." instead of "C:\Tornado\bin\..."
    > By doing so the "Input line is too long" error went away.
    >
    > I've started seeing DEP (Data Execution Prevention) problem. I have
    > changed the DEP settings to
    > "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only". After
    > changing the setting I no longer
    > see the DEP error but the cmd window just quits with out giving any
    > errors.
    >
    > I don't know if the DEP is preventing me from including all the
    > archives or if its any other problem.
    >
    > I'm trying to build on XP.
    > VxWorks 5.3

    You might download the latest Tornado 2.2 cumulative patch, and try the
    linker from there on your test case. That linker no longer uses Cygwin,
    and the problem you describe might go away. I haven't tried this; I've
    never heard of symptoms like you describe. But it's a fairly cheap
    experiment to try...

    Please let us all know how it works for you, if you get a chance to try
    it...

    > Any help appreciated!!
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: ldppc add archive failure

    lstrong wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to add archives using the ldppc --start-group & --end-group
    > option. Recently I had to install few anti-virus software on my PC as
    > my PC was infected with virus. After installing the software, I'm no
    > longer able to include all the archives.
    >
    > I've noticed that I'm able to include about 50 archives using this
    > option. If I try to include 51st archive the "cmd"
    > window exists with out giving me any errors.
    >
    > Initially I used to get "Input line is too long" error which indicates
    > the cmd window buffer has been exceeded.
    > The path I'm using was too long so I changed my script by mapping a
    > network drive to the path so that
    > the input line will "T:\bin\...." instead of "C:\Tornado\bin\..."
    > By doing so the "Input line is too long" error went away.
    >
    > I've started seeing DEP (Data Execution Prevention) problem. I have
    > changed the DEP settings to
    > "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only". After
    > changing the setting I no longer
    > see the DEP error but the cmd window just quits with out giving any
    > errors.
    >
    > I don't know if the DEP is preventing me from including all the
    > archives or if its any other problem.
    >
    > I'm trying to build on XP.
    > VxWorks 5.3

    I had a second thought about this. I agree that the command-line length
    seems to be the source of the problem. What if you used arppc to
    combine the elements of several libraries into a single one, and
    mentioned that one library name on the command line? The order in which
    you combine them is likely to be important.

    It might be another experiment to try.

    Please let us know what you discover.

  4. Re: ldppc add archive failure

    Thanks very much for the reply!! I did try using arppc to bundle up
    all my library files.
    I have 50 libraries and even this command was accepting only 25
    libraries at a time.
    If try to include the 26th library the cmd window was being killed.

    I have recently installed spysweeper & webroot Desktop firewall on my
    PC.
    I wanted to see if the problem I'm facing has to do with the firewall.
    Unstalled firewall & spysweeper and everything is working
    now!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks again for your reply.

    On Dec 17, 9:58 pm, Bill Cox wrote:
    > lstrong wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I'm trying to add archives using the ldppc --start-group & --end-group
    > > option. Recently I had to install few anti-virus software on my PC as
    > > my PC was infected with virus. After installing the software, I'm no
    > > longer able to include all the archives.

    > > I've noticed that I'm able to include about 50 archives using this
    > > option. If I try to include 51st archive the "cmd"
    > > window exists with out giving me any errors.

    > > Initially I used to get "Input line is too long" error which indicates
    > > the cmd window buffer has been exceeded.
    > > The path I'm using was too long so I changed my script by mapping a
    > > network drive to the path so that
    > > the input line will "T:\bin\...." instead of "C:\Tornado\bin\..."
    > > By doing so the "Input line is too long" error went away.

    > > I've started seeing DEP (Data Execution Prevention) problem. I have
    > > changed the DEP settings to
    > > "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only". After
    > > changing the setting I no longer
    > > see the DEP error but the cmd window just quits with out giving any
    > > errors.

    > > I don't know if the DEP is preventing me from including all the
    > > archives or if its any other problem.

    > > I'm trying to build on XP.
    > > VxWorks 5.3

    > I had a second thought about this. I agree that the command-line length
    > seems to be the source of the problem. What if you used arppc to
    > combine the elements of several libraries into a single one, and
    > mentioned that one library name on the command line? The order in which
    > you combine them is likely to be important.
    >
    > It might be another experiment to try.
    >
    > Please let us know what you discover.

+ Reply to Thread