I am looking for tools to help catch common memory-related bugs in
code that runs on an embedded PowerPC (Curtis Wright Dy4-182) under
VxWorks 5.4.2. Our development environment is old, specifically
Tornado 2.0.2. The kinds of problems I'd like to be able to detect
include writing and reading memory that wasn't allocated to the task,
overstepping array bounds, unmatched new & delete (memory leaks),
double deletes, failing to use array delete when necessary, etc.
Unfortunately, my configuration does not use protected memory.

Are there any commercial tools like Parasoft's Insure++ or Rational's
Purify that will work with my configuration? Are there any open-source
tools that you would recommend?

Thank you very much,

Troy