Pentium4 PC as VxWorks 6.5 target - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Pentium4 PC as VxWorks 6.5 target - VxWorks ; Hi, I would like to configure regular pentium4 PC as a target for VxWorks 6.5. As I am new to VXWorks, please advise how to do this. Thanks, Papa...

  1. Pentium4 PC as VxWorks 6.5 target

    Hi,

    I would like to configure regular pentium4 PC as a target for VxWorks
    6.5. As I am new to VXWorks, please advise how to do this.

    Thanks,
    Papa

  2. Re: Pentium4 PC as VxWorks 6.5 target

    On Dec 5, 2:44 am, Papa wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to configure regular pentium4 PC as a target for VxWorks
    > 6.5. As I am new to VXWorks, please advise how to do this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Papa

    Hi,
    The first step that you should do is try to boot from the default
    image in the BSP provided by Wind River. Pentium4 BSP you can find
    inside installdir\vxWorks-6.5\target\config\pcPentium4 where
    installdir is the root directory where vxworks is installed (eg. c:
    \WindRiver\). Apart from several device specific files this directory
    would be having a bootrom image(bootrom.bin) & a vxWorks kernel
    image(vxWorks.st). You can either boot from floppy, hard disk or
    network(Refer target.ref in BSP directory). The most simple way is to
    boot from floppy. On the vxWorks development shell issue following
    commands to create a bootable floppy:
    format a: /q
    mkboot a: bootrom.bin
    Check the message at the end of mkboot command, it should say that All
    specified file(s) are contiguous.
    Try booting your machine from this floppy it will display the
    following message on the console:
    V1.4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++
    AFTER THIS MESSAGE IF NOTHING APPEARS ON YOUR CONSOLE THEN:
    1. You would have not connected your target to host through a null
    modem serial cable. If this is so connect them & watch the ouput on
    Hyperterminal in Windows or minicom in Linux. In case you don't have
    serial cable then you need to make a change in Config.h file in BSP
    directory to see the output on console. Define INCLUDE_PC_CONSOLE
    macro in config.h which will configure serial driver to send the
    output to console. After defining this rebuild the bootrom.bin image
    & create a bootable floppy, this time you should be able to see the
    output on console.
    2. If even after doing step 1 you are not able to see output then
    disable USB device from BIOS of your target machine & again try
    booting.

    After performing above procedure you should be able to see vxWorks
    boot prompt. Copy the vxWorks.st image in another floppy or in the
    bootrom floppy if it has space. Insert the floppy & enter "@" at the
    boot prompt, this will start loading vxWorks kernel. If the kernel is
    successfully loaded you should see the vxWorks banner.

    Thanks
    Niraj

  3. Re: Pentium4 PC as VxWorks 6.5 target

    On Dec 4, 11:50 pm, nirajpand...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 2:44 am, Papa wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I would like to configure regular pentium4 PC as a target for VxWorks
    > > 6.5. As I am new to VXWorks, please advise how to do this.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Papa

    > Hi,
    > The first step that you should do is try to boot from the default
    > image in the BSP provided by Wind River. Pentium4 BSP you can find
    > inside installdir\vxWorks-6.5\target\config\pcPentium4 where
    > installdir is the root directory where vxworks is installed (eg. c:
    > \WindRiver\). Apart from several device specific files this directory
    > would be having a bootrom image(bootrom.bin) & a vxWorks kernel
    > image(vxWorks.st). You can either boot from floppy, hard disk or
    > network(Refer target.ref in BSP directory). The most simple way is to
    > boot from floppy. On the vxWorks development shell issue following
    > commands to create a bootable floppy:
    > format a: /q
    > mkboot a: bootrom.bin
    > Check the message at the end of mkboot command, it should say that All
    > specified file(s) are contiguous.
    > Try booting your machine from this floppy it will display the
    > following message on the console:
    > V1.4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++
    > ++++++++
    > AFTER THIS MESSAGE IF NOTHING APPEARS ON YOUR CONSOLE THEN:
    > 1. You would have not connected your target to host through a null
    > modem serial cable. If this is so connect them & watch the ouput on
    > Hyperterminal in Windows or minicom in Linux. In case you don't have
    > serial cable then you need to make a change in Config.h file in BSP
    > directory to see the output on console. Define INCLUDE_PC_CONSOLE
    > macro in config.h which will configure serial driver to send the
    > output to console. After defining this rebuild the bootrom.bin image
    > & create a bootable floppy, this time you should be able to see the
    > output on console.
    > 2. If even after doing step 1 you are not able to see output then
    > disable USB device from BIOS of your target machine & again try
    > booting.
    >
    > After performing above procedure you should be able to see vxWorks
    > boot prompt. Copy the vxWorks.st image in another floppy or in the
    > bootrom floppy if it has space. Insert the floppy & enter "@" at the
    > boot prompt, this will start loading vxWorks kernel. If the kernel is
    > successfully loaded you should see the vxWorks banner.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Niraj

    Niraj:

    Thank you very much for your reply. I will try and let you know the
    outcome.

    Papa

+ Reply to Thread