cop from ftp site - VMS

This is a discussion on cop from ftp site - VMS ; Hello everyone, Anyone know how to copy from an ftp site after logging in and connecting? Basically once I'm in I want to go to a specific folder, then copy a file from that folder and then go into another ...

  1. cop from ftp site

    Hello everyone,

    Anyone know how to copy from an ftp site after logging in and
    connecting? Basically once I'm in I want to go to a specific folder,
    then copy a file from that folder and then go into another folder and
    place the file there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    ** All in DCL.
    --
    Himansu

  2. Re: cop from ftp site

    On Oct 4, 1:46 pm, himansu wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Anyone know how to copy from an ftp site after logging in and
    > connecting? Basically once I'm in I want to go to a specific folder,
    > then copy a file from that folder and then go into another folder and
    > place the file there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ** All in DCL.
    > --
    > Himansu

    Himansu,

    Yes, this is a common problem. I have dealt with it for several
    clients over the years.

    Depending on the OpenVMS version and the version of TCP/IP stack in
    use, there are a variety of qualifiers on the FTP command to allow FTP
    to take its commands from a command file.

    More recent versions of OpenVMS can also use the COPY/FTP command to
    process copies one at a time.

    The $STATUS value should be useful when the command completes to
    verify that a transfer has occured. Checking the file is also a sound
    idea.

    I hope that the above is helpful.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: cop from ftp site

    himansu wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Anyone know how to copy from an ftp site after logging in and
    > connecting? Basically once I'm in I want to go to a specific folder,
    > then copy a file from that folder and then go into another folder and
    > place the file there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ** All in DCL.
    > --
    > Himansu

    $ FTP mumble.com /user=xxxx /pass=yyyyy
    cd /directory_of_interest
    (ascii | bin)
    get mumble.dat
    bye

    Or something like that. RTFM

  4. Re: cop from ftp site

    himansu wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Anyone know how to copy from an ftp site after logging in and
    > connecting? Basically once I'm in I want to go to a specific folder,
    > then copy a file from that folder and then go into another folder and
    > place the file there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ** All in DCL.

    $ COPY/FTP node.domin.tld"username password"::/path/filespec []
    $ COPY/FTP filespec node.domin.tld"username password"::/path/filespec

    ....is the basic syntax. See the HELP for COPY and the IP stack documentation.

    The second COPY assumes that you have write access to the target directory.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: cop from ftp site

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Or something like that. RTFM

    Gotta hand it to 'ya Bob.
    Helpful and polite.
    What a sincere and caring individual.

    May you win the a-hole of the year award.

    Crabs

  6. Re: cop from ftp site

    Crabs wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >

    >> Or something like that. RTFM
    >>

    > Gotta hand it to 'ya Bob.
    > Helpful and polite.
    > What a sincere and caring individual.
    >
    > May you win the a-hole of the year award.
    >

    > Crabs

    If my reply failed to adequately answer your question, perhaps you
    should put your question more clearly! If you DID read the FM, you
    might try telling us which part was not sufficiently clear.

    Or, if you have tried and failed, you might provide the commands you
    used and the resulting error messages, if any.

    Four years ago I had several batch jobs that sent files to the mainframe
    at headquarters. If was not particularly difficult to do.

  7. Re: cop from ftp site

    In article <1191523568.898789.28770@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, himansu writes:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Anyone know how to copy from an ftp site after logging in and
    > connecting? Basically once I'm in I want to go to a specific folder,
    > then copy a file from that folder and then go into another folder and
    > place the file there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ** All in DCL.

    Oh, that makes it easy. (If I understand your question.)

    $ copy/ftp/username=soandso remote.node.stuff::"remote-path-and-file" -
    local-path-and-file
    Password: does-not-echo

    Of course, you may or may not need /binary, depending on the file.

+ Reply to Thread