backup problem - VMS

This is a discussion on backup problem - VMS ; I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS 6.2-1h3 ): $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE - /NOALIAS - /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: - RDAXP$MKB500 UA510.BCK %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202 -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded I understand that this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. backup problem

    I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    6.2-1h3 ):

    $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    /NOALIAS -
    /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    listing of files stored in the save-set.
    However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).

    Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    extend the file)?

    Did this error stop the backup, or just the writing to this .log file?

    I looked at the process as it was executing (batch job) and got the
    following:

    RDAXP::SYSTEM> show process /quotas/identification=20400230

    3-OCT-2007 09:30:22.28 User: SYSTEM Process ID:
    20400230
    Node: RDAXP Process name:
    "BATCH_5"

    Process Quotas:
    Account name: SYSTEM
    CPU limit: Infinite Direct I/O limit: 4096
    Buffered I/O byte count quota: 148976 Buffered I/O limit: 400
    Timer queue entry quota: 39 Open file quota: 995
    Paging file quota: 292800 Subprocess quota: 10
    Default page fault cluster: 64 AST quota: 99
    Enqueue quota: 2000 Shared file limit: 0
    Max detached processes: 0 Max active jobs: 0

    Does this show me what "system's" quotas are for this process, or is
    this the process'
    quotas (or are they one and the same)?
    Is possibly a system quota that the process itself is exceeding?

    I've been searching through the FAQ's, HP's site, etc and haven't
    found a thing. Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks!

  2. Re: backup problem

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, jhjr4381 wrote:

    > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA
    > VMS 6.2-1h3 ):
    >
    > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > /NOALIAS -
    > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process"
    > QUOTA is being exceeded here.

    In addition to the SHOW PROCESS/QUOTA you did, you can also get the
    quota and the "amount left" using the F$GETJPI lexical.

    But there may be an easier first step. Check the _OpenVMS System
    Manager's Manual: Essentials_ chapter (10?) on using backup, in
    particular the section (10).7 Setting process Quotas for Efficient
    Backups.

    According to the DCL dictionary, the quotas shown by SHOW PROCESS
    /QUOTA are the initial quotas, not the amount used or left. Some of
    the values in the example you gave look quite low compared to the
    advice in section 10.7.

    hth

    - Rob

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  3. Re: backup problem

    The SHOW PROCESS/Q command showed you the quotas remaining of that
    process at the time you did the command.

    I expect the error stopped the backup as the error had fatal severity
    (-F-)
    %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR,

    There is a relationship between the various quotas that should be
    maintained for the backup to work. Check the docs.

  4. Re: backup problem

    Heres a pointer to the doc. I usually do the penny in the fusebox
    approach
    and up quotas. Dean

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINA...-pv5mj-tk.HTMl

  5. Re: backup problem

    On Oct 3, 4:14 pm, jhjr4381 wrote:
    > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    > 6.2-1h3 ):
    >
    > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > /NOALIAS -
    > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded
    >
    > I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    > listing of files stored in the save-set.
    > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    > being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    > larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).
    >
    > Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    > extend the file)?

    I doubt it. You could run ANAL/DISK and see if there are any
    filesystem errors, but I don't think that's your problem. Hmmm, could
    it be disk quota?! Run the SHOW QUOTA command to see. I think that
    would do it!

    > Did this error stop the backup, or just the writing to this .log file?

    Being a Fatal error, it probably stopped the backup, as another poster
    pointed out.

    > I looked at the process as it was executing (batch job) and got the
    > following:
    >
    > RDAXP::SYSTEM> show process /quotas/identification=20400230
    >
    > 3-OCT-2007 09:30:22.28 User: SYSTEM Process ID:
    > 20400230
    > Node: RDAXP Process name:
    > "BATCH_5"
    >
    > Process Quotas:
    > Account name: SYSTEM
    > CPU limit: Infinite Direct I/O limit: 4096
    > Buffered I/O byte count quota: 148976 Buffered I/O limit: 400
    > Timer queue entry quota: 39 Open file quota: 995
    > Paging file quota: 292800 Subprocess quota: 10
    > Default page fault cluster: 64 AST quota: 99
    > Enqueue quota: 2000 Shared file limit: 0
    > Max detached processes: 0 Max active jobs: 0
    >
    > Does this show me what "system's" quotas are for this process, or is
    > this the process'
    > quotas (or are they one and the same)?

    A quick test shows that it is what's left.

    > Is possibly a system quota that the process itself is exceeding?

    I don't know what this means.

    > I've been searching through the FAQ's, HP's site, etc and haven't
    > found a thing. Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks!

    As I said last time, try increasing FILLM and/or DIOLM. Also, as
    another poster suggested, look up the process quotas recommended for
    efficient backups. (If it's not the disk quota causing the problem,
    that is.)

    AEF

  6. Re: backup problem

    jhjr4381 wrote:

    > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    > 6.2-1h3 ):
    >
    > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > /NOALIAS -
    > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded
    >
    > I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    > listing of files stored in the save-set.
    > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    > being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    > larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).
    >
    > Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    > extend the file)?
    >
    > Did this error stop the backup, or just the writing to this .log file?
    >
    > I looked at the process as it was executing (batch job) and got the
    > following:
    >
    > RDAXP::SYSTEM> show process /quotas/identification=20400230
    >
    > 3-OCT-2007 09:30:22.28 User: SYSTEM Process ID:
    > 20400230
    > Node: RDAXP Process name:
    > "BATCH_5"
    >
    > Process Quotas:
    > Account name: SYSTEM
    > CPU limit: Infinite Direct I/O limit: 4096
    > Buffered I/O byte count quota: 148976 Buffered I/O limit: 400
    > Timer queue entry quota: 39 Open file quota: 995
    > Paging file quota: 292800 Subprocess quota: 10
    > Default page fault cluster: 64 AST quota: 99
    > Enqueue quota: 2000 Shared file limit: 0
    > Max detached processes: 0 Max active jobs: 0
    >
    > Does this show me what "system's" quotas are for this process, or is
    > this the process'
    > quotas (or are they one and the same)?
    > Is possibly a system quota that the process itself is exceeding?
    >
    > I've been searching through the FAQ's, HP's site, etc and haven't
    > found a thing. Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks!

    Well SHOW PROC/QUOTA will show the quotas, but not the "counts" (how much used
    or how much remaining, depending on the quota being considered).

    AMDS or a suitably crafted DCL proc. would be useful for that.

    Since the message states:
    -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed

    ...., first guess time would be something related to either memory (BYTLM
    exceeded) or I/O (DIOLM or BIOLM being exceeded), possibly even ENQLM being
    exceeded since BACKUP is so aggressive about resource usage.

    Without knowing how close to the max.'es the process had been running, I don't
    know if there's a way to tell without a process dump.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  7. Re: backup problem

    jhjr4381 wrote:
    > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    > 6.2-1h3 ):
    >
    > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > /NOALIAS -
    > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded
    >

    > I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    > listing of files stored in the save-set.
    > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    > being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    > larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).
    >
    > Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    > extend the file)?

    No!

    > Did this error stop the backup,

    Yes!

    Try this command procedure. I wrote it many years ago but I think it
    should still be usable. It creates a BACKUP account for you with quotas
    and limits appropriate for your system.

    NOTE THAT MY MAILER HAS WRAPPED SOME LINES! YOU WILL HAVE TO UNWRAP
    THEM BEFORE USING.

    $! MAKE_BACKUP_ACCT.COM
    $!
    $! Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001
    $! Richard B. Gilbert
    $! All rights reserved.
    $!
    $!
    $! A license to use and distribute this software is granted under the
    $! following terms and conditions:
    $! 1. You may not sell it. This is not intended to preclude a reasonable
    $! charge for: media, copying, shipping, and handling.
    $! 2. You may not claim you wrote it.
    $! 3. You may not remove or alter my Copyright notice or these terms and
    $! conditions.
    $! 4. You agree that this software is offered without warranty of any
    $! kind whatever. If it's broken, you fix it.
    $! 5. You may not modify this software unless:
    $! a. You make your modifications in such a way that it is clear
    $! which parts of the modified software are your changes and
    $! which are part of the original.
    $! b. You make your changes freely available to all other
    $! licensees.
    $! Posting your modifications to the Info-VAX mailing list, the
    $! comp.os.vms newsgroup, or communicating them to me shall be
    $! deemed sufficient to meet this requirement.
    $!
    $! Writes a DCL command procedure to create an account for use with the
    $! BACKUP utility. It calculates appropriate values of the UAF Quotas
    $! and Limits using rules of thumb from the article "Setting Up Params
    $! For OpenVMS BACKUP Operation (V5.2 or above" which is available from
    $! DSNlink. Some of these values may have to be hand tuned for optimum
    $! results.
    $!
    $! 02-DEC-1996 - Added prompt for the number of backup jobs.
    $! 11-MAR-1997 - Fixed to calculate WSQUOTA <=
    $! - MIN ((VIRTUALPAGECNT, PAGEFILE_FREE) - 3000).
    $! - Translated Alpha PAGEFILE_FREE to pagelets.
    $! 17-JUN-1999 - Create logicals in executive mode.
    $! 14-SEP-1999 - Apply Andy Goldstein's recommendations for
    $! calculating DIOLM.
    $! 16-MAR-2001 - Added terms and conditions, corrected the
    $! maximum for DIOLM and corrected the
    $! calculation for ASTLM. Removed references to
    $! a missing label. Modified password generation
    $! to ensure that original privileges were
    $! restored. Used F$FAO to fancy up the
    $! output a little.
    $!
    $!
    $ READ /PROMPT="Maximum Simultaneous BACKUP Jobs? " -
    SYS$COMMAND MAX_BACKUP_JOBS
    $ MAX_BACKUP_JOBS = F$INTEGER(MAX_BACKUP_JOBS)
    $ WSMAX = F$GETSYI("WSMAX")
    $!
    $! Note that VIRTUALPAGECNT is no longer a tunable SYSGEN parameter
    $! under OpenVMS/ALpha V7.0 and above. Its value is set to 2147483647
    $! and ignored. This should have no effect on the following calculation
    $! unless your pagefile is really BIG.
    $!
    $ VIRTUALPAGECNT = F$GETSYI("VIRTUALPAGECNT")
    $ PAGEFILE_FREE = F$GETSYI("PAGEFILE_FREE")
    $ IF F$GETSYI("ARCH_TYPE") .EQ. 2
    $ THEN
    $ PAGEFILE_FREE = PAGEFILE_FREE *F$GETSYI("PAGE_SIZE")/512
    $ ENDIF
    $ PAGEFILE_FREE = PAGEFILE_FREE / MAX_BACKUP_JOBS
    $ IF VIRTUALPAGECNT .GT. PAGEFILE_FREE
    $ THEN
    $ PGFLQUO = PAGEFILE_FREE
    $ ELSE
    $ PGFLQUO = VIRTUALPAGECNT
    $ ENDIF
    $ WSDEF = 1024
    $ WSQUOTA = WSMAX
    $ IF WSQUOTA .GT. (PGFLQUO - 3000) THEN WSQUOTA=PGFLQUO-3000
    $ WSEXTENT = WSMAX
    $ FILLM = F$GETSYI("CHANNELCNT")-15
    $!
    $! Calculate DIOLM. The maximum usable value of DIOLM is 32747
    $! (required to allow ASTLM=32767). The minimum value of DIOLM is
    $! MAX(4096, FILLM*3). The rule that DIOLM = WSQUOTA / BLOCKSIZE is due
    $! to Andy Goldstein . The rule given in
    $! the System Manager's Manual (and other places) yields the MINIMUM
    $! rather than the recommended value and fails for very large values
    $! of WSQUOTA.
    $!
    $! Assume BLOCKSIZE (in blocks) =32256/512 or 63. The minimum is 4 and
    $! the maximum is 127. A blocksize of 32256 is the recommended value.
    $! N.B. The setting of a suitable blocksize is one of the the MOST
    $! important tuning steps.
    $!
    $ BLOCKSIZE = 32256/512 ! In blocks
    $ MAX_DIOLM = 32747
    $ DIOLM = WSQUOTA / BLOCKSIZE
    $ IF DIOLM .GT. MAX_DIOLM THEN DIOLM=MAX_DIOLM
    $! This calculates a minimum value for DIOLM.
    $ IF 3*FILLM .LE. 4096
    $ THEN
    $ MIN_DIOLM = 4096
    $ ELSE
    $ MIN_DIOLM = 3*FILLM
    $ ENDIF
    $ IF DIOLM .LT. MIN_DIOLM THEN DIOLM=MIN_DIOLM
    $ ASTLM = DIOLM + 20 ! Minimum value.
    $!
    $! BYTLM may need to be hand tuned. It should never be less than the
    $! minimum but may need to be increased. If BYTLM cannot be increased
    $! then FILLM must be decreased.
    $!
    $ BYTLM = (256*FILLM) + (6*DIOLM) ! Minimum value.
    $ BIOLM = FILLM
    $ ENQLM = FILLM + 2 ! ENQLM > FILLM
    $!
    $! Now write the ADD command for authorize.
    $!
    $! Note: we assume that the file being written will be executed from an
    $! account with adequate privileges to define executive mode logical
    $! names and to modify SYSUAF.DAT. We also assume that you will check
    $! the generated file and make any necessary changes before executing
    $! it!
    $!
    $ OPEN /WRITE FILE BACKUP_ACCT.COM
    $ WRITE FILE "$! Suggested UAF Parameters for the account running BACKUP
    on ''F$
    GETSYI("NODENAME")'."
    $ WRITE FILE F$FAO("$!! We assume !UB simultaneous backup job!%S and the
    SYSGEN
    parameters in !/$!! effect at !%D", MAX_BACKUP_JOBS, 0)
    $!
    $! Make the User Authorization File (UAF) accessable. We use F$PARSE
    $! to allow for a logical name pointing to the file.
    $!
    $ WRITE FILE "$ ASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE ''F$PARSE("SYSUAF", "SYS$SYSTEM",
    ".DAT")
    ' SYSUAF"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ ASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE ''F$PARSE("RIGHTSLIST",
    "SYS$SYSTEM", ".D
    AT")' RIGHTSLIST"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ ASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE ''F$PARSE("NETPROXY",
    "SYS$SYSTEM", ".DAT
    ")' NETPROXY"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ ASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE ''F$PARSE("NET$PROXY",
    "SYS$SYSTEM", ".DA
    T")' NET$PROXY"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:AUTHORIZE"
    $ GOSUB GENERATE_PASSWORDS
    $ WRITE FILE "ADD BACKUP /UIC=[16,1] /PASSWORD=''PWD3' -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/DEVICE=SYS$SYSROOT: /DIRECTORY=[SYSMGR] -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/FILLM=''FILLM' /BIOLM=''BIOLM' /DIOLM=''DIOLM' -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/ASTLM=''ASTLM' /ENQLM=''ENQLM' /BYTLM=''BYTLM' -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/WSDEF=''WSDEF' /WSQUOTA=''WSQUOTA' -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/WSEXTENT=''WSEXTENT' /PGFLQUO=''PGFLQUO'"
    $ WRITE FILE "MODIFY BACKUP /PRIVILEGE=(OPER,READALL,SYSPRV,VOLPRO) -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/DEFPRIV=SYSPRV /FLAGS=NODISUSER /NOINTERACTIVE -"
    $ WRITE FILE "/NOREMOTE /NONETWORK"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ DEASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE SYSUAF"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ DEASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE RIGHTSLIST"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ DEASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE NETPROXY"
    $ WRITE FILE "$ DEASSIGN /EXECUTIVE_MODE NET$PROXY"
    $ CLOSE FILE
    $ EXIT
    $!
    $! The method for generating passwords in a command procedure was taken
    $! from NETCONFIG.COM.
    $!
    $GENERATE_PASSWORDS:
    $ MYPID = F$GETJPI("", "PID")
    $ ON ERROR THEN GOTO GEN_PWD_DONE
    $ DEFINE /USER_MODE SYS$OUTPUT SYS$SCRATCH:A'MYPID'.TMP
    $ ON ERROR THEN GOTO ERROR_EXIT
    $ ON CONTROL_Y THEN GOTO ERROR_EXIT
    $! Privs are a temporary workaround for a bug in OpenVMS/Alpha
    $! V6.2 -- V7.0.
    $ PREV_PRIVS = F$SETPRV("LOG_IO,PHY_IO")
    $ SET PASSWORD /GENERATE=8
    INVALID
    $GEN_PWD_DONE:
    $ IF F$SEARCH("SYS$SCRATCH:A''MYPID'.TMP") .EQS. "" THEN -
    GOTO ERROR_EXIT
    $ SET PROTECTION=(G,W) SYS$SCRATCH:A'MYPID'.TMP
    $ PWD1 = ""
    $ PWD2 = ""
    $ PWD3 = ""
    $ PWD4 = ""
    $ PWD5 = ""
    $ PWDN = 1
    $ OPEN/READ PWD_FILE SYS$SCRATCH:A'MYPID'.TMP
    $PWD_LOOP:
    $ READ /END=END_OF_FILE PWD_FILE RECORD
    $ PWD = F$ELEMENT(0," ",RECORD)
    $ IF PWD .EQS. "" THEN GOTO PWD_LOOP
    $ PWD'PWDN' = PWD
    $ SHOW SYMBOL PWD'PWDN'
    $ PWDN = PWDN + 1
    $IF PWDN .LE. 5 THEN GOTO PWD_LOOP
    $END_OF_FILE:
    $ CLOSE PWD_FILE
    $ DELETE SYS$SCRATCH:A'MYPID'.TMP;*
    $ JUNK = F$SETPRV(PREV_PRIVS)
    $ RETURN
    $ERROR_EXIT:
    $ EXIT_STATUS = $STATUS
    $ JUNK = F$SETPRV(PREV_PRIVS)
    $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Error generating paswords!"
    $ EXIT EXIT_STATUS

  8. Re: backup problem

    On Oct 3, 6:57 pm, AEF wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 4:14 pm, jhjr4381 wrote:
    >
    > > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    > > 6.2-1h3 ):

    > > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > > /NOALIAS -
    > > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    > > I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    > > listing of files stored in the save-set.

    Correct.

    > > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    > > being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    > > larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).

    I think it may be a disk quota. Use the SHOW QUOTA/DISK=disk/USER=user
    command to see.

    Unfortunately you've run into one of VMS's few weaknesses. Which quota
    is exceeded? Check the disk quota and please report back.

    > > Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    > > extend the file)?

    > I doubt it. You could run ANAL/DISK and see if there are any
    > filesystem errors, but I don't think that's your problem. Hmmm, could
    > it be disk quota?! Run the SHOW QUOTA command to see. I think that
    > would do it!
    >

    > > Did this error stop the backup, or just the writing to this .log file?

    > Being a Fatal error, it probably stopped the backup, as another poster
    > pointed out.

    You can check by mounting the tape (write-protected!) and running

    $ BACKUP/LIST

    and see if it abruptly ends on error or gives you the expected full
    listing.

    [...]

    AEF

  9. Re: backup problem

    jhjr4381 wrote:
    >> %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202

    > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    From a programming point of view:

    would it be fair to state that BACKUP was doing a simple "write"
    (SYS$PUT or whatever) and it got a "RMS-E-EXT" status code and then
    called LIB$SIGNAL with it own error message (the WRITEERR) and the
    RMS-E-EXT status code it got from LIB$PUT ?

    I am curious as the mechanism that resulted in the underlying error code
    (EXQUOTA) to be included in the LIB$SIGNAL output ?

    Or does the fact that multiple error messages was issued mean that
    BACKUP called LIB$PUT with a error procedure and the later would have
    had access to an error vector that would have contained both the EXQUOTA
    and the RMS-E-EXT ?

  10. Re: backup problem

    > CPU limit: Infinite Direct I/O limit: 4096
    > Buffered I/O byte count quota: 148976 Buffered I/O limit: 400

    > Default page fault cluster: 64 AST quota: 99

    Well, a diolim of 4096 and astlim of 99 (probably 100) is asking for
    trouble. Lower diolim to about 100 and make sure that astlim is at least
    as big as the max of biolim and diolim.

    But reading the docs about backup quotas should be the best thing to do.

    Jur.

    jhjr4381 wrote, On 3-10-2007 22:14:
    > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    > 6.2-1h3 ):
    >
    > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > /NOALIAS -
    > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded
    >

    > I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    > listing of files stored in the save-set.
    > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    > being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    > larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).
    >
    > Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    > extend the file)?
    >
    > Did this error stop the backup, or just the writing to this .log file?
    >
    > I looked at the process as it was executing (batch job) and got the
    > following:
    >
    > RDAXP::SYSTEM> show process /quotas/identification=20400230
    >
    > 3-OCT-2007 09:30:22.28 User: SYSTEM Process ID:
    > 20400230
    > Node: RDAXP Process name:
    > "BATCH_5"
    >
    > Process Quotas:
    > Account name: SYSTEM
    > CPU limit: Infinite Direct I/O limit: 4096
    > Buffered I/O byte count quota: 148976 Buffered I/O limit: 400
    > Timer queue entry quota: 39 Open file quota: 995
    > Paging file quota: 292800 Subprocess quota: 10
    > Default page fault cluster: 64 AST quota: 99
    > Enqueue quota: 2000 Shared file limit: 0
    > Max detached processes: 0 Max active jobs: 0
    >
    > Does this show me what "system's" quotas are for this process, or is
    > this the process'
    > quotas (or are they one and the same)?
    > Is possibly a system quota that the process itself is exceeding?
    >
    > I've been searching through the FAQ's, HP's site, etc and haven't
    > found a thing. Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks!

  11. Re: backup problem

    In article <1191462774.523707.326480@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, AEF writes:
    [...]
    >> > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    [...]
    > I think it may be a disk quota. Use the SHOW QUOTA/DISK=disk/USER=user
    > command to see.

    There is a difference between EXQUOTA and EXDISKQUOTA. The error code
    here indicates that it is the former.

    > Unfortunately you've run into one of VMS's few weaknesses. Which quota
    > is exceeded? Check the disk quota and please report back.

    It is indeed difficult to figure out which quota triggered SS$_EXQUOTA.
    But it will not be disk quota... Barring corner cases where
    exceeding disk quota triggered error processing that tripped over
    a process quota error and changed the resulting exit code that is
    presented to the user anyway.

  12. Re: backup problem

    In article , JF Mezei writes:
    > jhjr4381 wrote:
    >>> %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202

    >> -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    >> -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    > From a programming point of view:
    >
    > would it be fair to state that BACKUP was doing a simple "write"
    > (SYS$PUT or whatever) and it got a "RMS-E-EXT" status code and then
    > called LIB$SIGNAL with it own error message (the WRITEERR) and the
    > RMS-E-EXT status code it got from LIB$PUT ?

    No. An unhandled exception would have triggered the "unhandled condition,
    image exit forced" exit path. That's noticably ugly and not the kind
    of thing that you usually expect VMS utilities to produce.

    A handled exception would have required that BACKUP field the exception
    and use $PUTMSG or similar with the associated message vector. That's
    somewhat plausible. But it doesn't help with your question of how
    BACKUP got the %SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA status in the first place.

    > I am curious as the mechanism that resulted in the underlying error code
    > (EXQUOTA) to be included in the LIB$SIGNAL output ?

    That's easy enough. If you do an RMS call, you get back a return status.
    And you get a field in the associated RMS control block (FAB, RAB or
    whatever), RMS$L_STV, that contains the underlying status code.

    > Or does the fact that multiple error messages was issued mean that
    > BACKUP called LIB$PUT with a error procedure and the later would have
    > had access to an error vector that would have contained both the EXQUOTA
    > and the RMS-E-EXT ?

    BACKUP isn't likely to be using LIB$ routines to write data to the log
    file or list file. It's going to be using RMS directly. So it's going
    to have access to the STV field directly.

  13. Re: backup problem

    briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:
    > It is indeed difficult to figure out which quota triggered SS$_EXQUOTA.

    Well, we know it happened while the file system tried to enlarge a log
    file to fit an extra record being written by the application (backup).

    By following what the ACP does while extending a file, one might be able
    to get a clue as to what resources/quotas are being used up.

  14. Re: backup problem

    On Oct 3, 9:52 pm, AEF wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 6:57 pm, AEF wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 3, 4:14 pm, jhjr4381 wrote:

    > > > I'm still getting an error while running BACKUP, as follows(ALPHA VMS
    > > > 6.2-1h3 ):

    > > > $ BACKUP/NOREWIND/LIST=DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG/IMAGE -
    > > > /NOALIAS -
    > > > /RECORD/IGNORE=(INTERLOCK,LABEL)/NOASSIST $1$DUA510: -
    > > > RDAXP$MKB500UA510.BCK
    > > > %BACKUP-F-WRITEERR, error writing DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG;202
    > > > -RMS-E-EXT, ACP file extend failed
    > > > -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    > > > I understand that this /LIST file DKA100:[BACKUP]DUA510FUL.LOG is a
    > > > listing of files stored in the save-set.

    > Correct.
    >
    > > > However, I'm at a loss as to how to determine which "process" QUOTA is
    > > > being exceeded here. It looks like backup was trying to make the file
    > > > larger in order to write to it, but failed to do so (maybe).

    > I think it may be a disk quota. Use the SHOW QUOTA/DISK=disk/USER=user
    > command to see.
    >
    > Unfortunately you've run into one of VMS's few weaknesses. Which quota
    > is exceeded? Check the disk quota and please report back.
    >
    > > > Is this an error because I need x blocks of contiguous space (to
    > > > extend the file)?

    > > I doubt it. You could run ANAL/DISK and see if there are any
    > > filesystem errors, but I don't think that's your problem. Hmmm, could
    > > it be disk quota?! Run the SHOW QUOTA command to see. I think that
    > > would do it!

    > > > Did this error stop the backup, or just the writing to this .log file?

    > > Being a Fatal error, it probably stopped the backup, as another poster
    > > pointed out.

    > You can check by mounting the tape (write-protected!) and running
    >
    > $ BACKUP/LIST
    >
    > and see if it abruptly ends on error or gives you the expected full
    > listing.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > AEF

    aef -
    I don't know what happened, but I replied erlier and the response
    disappeared.
    I have now quotas on the disk so that's not an issue.
    After submitting this yesterday, I changed the system account as such
    (according to the sysmgr's manual on backup processing) and still have
    the problem:
    Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 1000 Bytlm: 300000
    Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 1100 JTquota: 4096
    Prclm: 10 DIOlm: 500 WSdef: 4096
    Prio: 4 ASTlm: 600 WSquo: 40000
    Queprio: 0 TQElm: 40 WSextent: 165000
    CPU: (none) Enqlm: 2000 Pgflquo: 500000

    I also checked the calculations in Richhard Gilberts .com file above
    against what I had reconfigured the system account to and they're
    close. I may have fudged things slightly higher.

    I'll check other responses on the board as well.

    BTW - I did increase the diolm/biolm/bytlm etc that you mentioned the
    other day as well.
    thanks all!

  15. Re: backup problem

    In article , JF Mezei writes:
    > briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:
    >> It is indeed difficult to figure out which quota triggered SS$_EXQUOTA.

    > Well, we know it happened while the file system tried to enlarge a log
    > file to fit an extra record being written by the application (backup).
    >
    > By following what the ACP does while extending a file, one might be able
    > to get a clue as to what resources/quotas are being used up.

    There's a standard strategy in cases like this: Swap out each tire
    until you find the one that's flat.

    i.e. Increase the quotas one at a time until the problem goes away.

    Personally, I favor a binary search. Increase all the quotas. If
    the problem goes away and you still care, decrease half of them and
    try again. Repeat as needed.

    That or use some of the excellent suggestions elsewhere in this thread.

  16. Re: backup problem

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, jhjr4381 wrote:

    > I have now quotas on the disk so that's not an issue.

    now==no?

    > After submitting this yesterday, I changed the system account as
    > such (according to the sysmgr's manual on backup processing) and
    > still have the problem:

    OK. Presumably SYSTEM is the user that is executing the BACKUP
    command.

    Does it still fail if you remove the /LIST from the BACKUP command?

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
    Edmonton (780)437-3367 (FAX)
    http://gmcl.com/

  17. Re: backup problem

    jhjr4381 wrote:

> [...]

    Question:

    Do all "extend file" operations consume the same amount of quotas ?

    Do "extend file" operations consume more reources if the disk is
    fragmented and each extent results in a lot of different fragments being
    allocated to the file ? (versus a single extent being made from
    consecutive blocks on disk). ?

    Is it possible that a very large default file extent quantity might
    consume more quotas than a smaller one ?

    Is it possible that after many extents, adding an extra extent might
    consume a lot more resources ?

    Perhaps the original poster might wish to give some details on how big
    DUA510FUL.LOG;202 gets, and post a DIR/HEADER

  18. Re: backup problem

    jhjr4381 wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 9:52 pm, AEF wrote:

    >>Correct.

    >>I think it may be a disk quota. Use the SHOW QUOTA/DISK=disk/USER=user
    >>command to see.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately you've run into one of VMS's few weaknesses. Which quota
    >>is exceeded? Check the disk quota and please report back.

    >>>I doubt it. You could run ANAL/DISK and see if there are any
    >>>filesystem errors, but I don't think that's your problem. Hmmm, could
    >>>it be disk quota?! Run the SHOW QUOTA command to see. I think that
    >>>would do it!

    >>>Being a Fatal error, it probably stopped the backup, as another poster
    >>>pointed out.

    >>You can check by mounting the tape (write-protected!) and running
    >>
    >>$ BACKUP/LIST
    >>
    >>and see if it abruptly ends on error or gives you the expected full
    >>listing.
    >>
    >>[...]
    >>
    >>AEF

    > aef -
    > I don't know what happened, but I replied erlier and the response
    > disappeared.
    > I have now quotas on the disk so that's not an issue.
    > After submitting this yesterday, I changed the system account as such
    > (according to the sysmgr's manual on backup processing) and still have
    > the problem:
    > Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 1000 Bytlm: 300000
    > Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    > Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 1100 JTquota: 4096
    > Prclm: 10 DIOlm: 500 WSdef: 4096
    > Prio: 4 ASTlm: 600 WSquo: 40000
    > Queprio: 0 TQElm: 40 WSextent: 165000
    > CPU: (none) Enqlm: 2000 Pgflquo: 500000
    >
    > I also checked the calculations in Richhard Gilberts .com file above
    > against what I had reconfigured the system account to and they're
    > close. I may have fudged things slightly higher.
    >
    > I'll check other responses on the board as well.
    >
    > BTW - I did increase the diolm/biolm/bytlm etc that you mentioned the
    > other day as well.
    > thanks all!

    What's your CHANNELCNT sysgen parameter? It should be at least
    a "few" (for an undefined value of "few" larger than the maximum
    Fillm on the system. I usually set it to max fillm + 15, or 1015
    in your case.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  19. Re: backup problem

    On Oct 4, 9:11 am, bri...@encompasserve.org wrote:
    > In article <1191462774.523707.326...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>, AEF writes:
    > [...]

    > [...]
    > > I think it may be a disk quota. Use the SHOW QUOTA/DISK=disk/USER=user
    > > command to see.

    > There is a difference between EXQUOTA and EXDISKQUOTA. The error code
    > here indicates that it is the former.

    You're right!

    > > Unfortunately you've run into one of VMS's few weaknesses. Which quota
    > > is exceeded? Check the disk quota and please report back.

    > It is indeed difficult to figure out which quota triggered SS$_EXQUOTA.
    > But it will not be disk quota... Barring corner cases where
    > exceeding disk quota triggered error processing that tripped over
    > a process quota error and changed the resulting exit code that is
    > presented to the user anyway.

    I'd still start with FILLM and/or DIOLM. If FILLM goes by file header
    count, and his "log file" (actually listing file) is on a fragmented-
    enough disk so that an extend requires an extension file header, then
    that would explain it. But I don't know FILLM that well!

    AEF

  20. Re: backup problem

    On Oct 4, 3:38 pm, JF Mezei wrote:

    > Question:
    >
    > Do all "extend file" operations consume the same amount of quotas ?
    >
    > Do "extend file" operations consume more reources if the disk is
    > fragmented and each extent results in a lot of different fragments being
    > allocated to the file ? (versus a single extent being made from
    > consecutive blocks on disk). ?
    >
    > Is it possible that a very large default file extent quantity might
    > consume more quotas than a smaller one ?
    >
    > Is it possible that after many extents, adding an extra extent might
    > consume a lot more resources ?
    >
    > Perhaps the original poster might wish to give some details on how big
    > DUA510FUL.LOG;202 gets, and post a DIR/HEADER

    That's one reason why I originally asked if to extend a file you need
    contiguous space.
    The backup finally worked. I added some steroids to the quotas for the
    account (system). Actually just beefed them up by 10-15% over what I
    posted yesterday.

    Someone asked about CHANNELCNT - that was set to 1000.

    I also created a new batch queue (also without WSxxx quotas) as the
    previous batch queue. Then I moved the output to a new disk that had a
    couple of million blocks of free disk space where the old disk only
    had about 100K free space.

    Here's an dir of the failed log file sizes:
    DUA510FUL.LOG;202 8480 3-OCT-2007 12:18:05.95
    DUA510FUL.LOG;201 5760 2-OCT-2007 12:06:59.65
    DUA510FUL.LOG;200 928 1-OCT-2007 20:00:37.29
    DUA510FUL.LOG;199 4224 29-SEP-2007 19:43:36.24
    DUA600FUL.LOG;190 1 3-OCT-2007 14:38:23.66
    DUA600FUL.LOG;189 896 2-OCT-2007 23:03:23.97
    DUA600FUL.LOG;188 1 29-SEP-2007 23:04:06.9

    Here's a dir of the log files from last nights successful backup:

    DUA510FUL.LOG;1 15588 4-OCT-2007 16:11:47.05
    DUA600FUL.LOG;1 18672 4-OCT-2007 20:47:35.6

    I'm not sure what finally did the trick, and I don't like using a
    shotgu approach, but I'll take the results. When things settle down,
    I'll back off the steroids on system's account and see if I can
    trigger it to fail.

    Thanks for all your help and suggestions folks. I've had problems on
    three system simultaneously, so it's been a blast for the laast week
    or so!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast